Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 18 2013, 02:04 PM   #511
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Well, last November I'd heard "a complete Hartnell-" had been found (Specifically, FTW, Marco Polo), but we now know it was "a complete Hartnell *TV interview*" so I wouldn't be expecting anything else. Not even Marco Polo.

The other sad thing is that now if anything is ever found from here on in - cos the omnirumour won't stop the industry pros looking - the fan-sheep will assume it was part of the magic omnifind and proof that this summer's bullshit was true, rather than, well, just its own thing.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:28 PM   #512
diankra
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
"Only" the largest return in 20 years-- that's a preview of what will happen if an actual discovery is announced after these rumors have gotten people expecting the borderline impossible.
Yep. I mean, if there were to be a large find, it'll most likely be season three (same as the Sierra Leone batch), and there will be huge wails that it's all Hartnell, no Troughton, and three stories that already existed, and three boring historicals, and no Dalek Masterplan, and.... wah, wah, not fair, not fair!!!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:34 PM   #513
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

diankra wrote: View Post
Yep. I mean, if there were to be a large find, it'll most likely be season three (same as the Sierra Leone batch), and there will be huge wails that it's all Hartnell, no Troughton, and three stories that already existed, and three boring historicals, and no Dalek Masterplan, and.... wah, wah, not fair, not fair!!!
Someone who wails about "The Massacre" being discovered can leave this planet right now and never come back.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:59 PM   #514
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Someone who wails about "The Massacre" being discovered can leave this planet right now and never come back.
The Abbot of Amboise would like to hire you for his staff, sir, you've got the right stuff!
Old September 19 2013, 02:47 AM   #515
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Starkers wrote: View Post
I need to rewatch Star Trek: Generations again. Remind myself of a simpler time before Doctor Who & the internet got me all hot & bothered over nothing.
Old September 19 2013, 03:04 AM   #516
Candlelight
Admiral

"Only" the largest return in 20 years-- that's a preview of what will happen if an actual discovery is announced after these rumors have gotten people expecting the borderline impossible.
It could be from any story. The handful of orphans recovered over the years came from Australia and likely came from an employee who grabbed a handful to sell off. Imagine if there was a fan working there who did the same but nicked episodes he wanted to keep.

In New Zealand we have rumours of something similar, such as episodes of Macra Terror and Highlanders surviving years after their known destruction date. Nothing has been heard of said rumours since the 1970s however (both of which stem from Neil Lambess, who found The Crusade 1 in 1999).
Old September 19 2013, 03:52 AM   #517
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
It could be from any story. The handful of orphans recovered over the years came from Australia and likely came from an employee who grabbed a handful to sell off. Imagine if there was a fan working there who did the same but nicked episodes he wanted to keep.

In New Zealand we have rumours of something similar, such as episodes of Macra Terror and Highlanders surviving years after their known destruction date. Nothing has been heard of said rumours since the 1970s however (both of which stem from Neil Lambess, who found The Crusade 1 in 1999).
I'm working on the basis that we've only ever had complete stories come back from TV stations, and we'll only get complete stories from TV stations (or distributors, if there were any other than TIE). So far all collectors and such sources have only ever returned single odd episodes (Ok, two from the same story in the case of Masterplan 5 & 10).
It's partly an Occam's Razor thing: anyone who managed to take an entire story rather than a single episode knew what he was taking. If so, then he'd now know how unique it now is. So they must be deliberately with-holding them, in which case they might as well not exist, as how could we now persuade him to give them up, after all these years?
And all that comes far too close to '"It all exists, Dr No has got them!" for comfort anyway! If there's any complete stories out there, they're in a neglected TV station film vault.
Old September 19 2013, 08:36 AM   #518
Starkers
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I need to rewatch Star Trek: Generations again. Remind myself of a simpler time before Doctor Who & the internet got me all hot & bothered over nothing.
Simpler times
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:25 AM   #519
Candlelight
Admiral

It's partly an Occam's Razor thing: anyone who managed to take an entire story rather than a single episode knew what he was taking. If so, then he'd now know how unique it now is. So they must be deliberately with-holding them, in which case they might as well not exist, as how could we now persuade him to give them up, after all these years?
Depends. Someone who was a fan took them then left the BBC out of guilt OR didn't want them junked and fled somewhere where he couldn't be found, not knowing he has the long-sought-after collection of The Power of the Daleks.

He may not have seen the note that in 1978 the BBC weren't destroying stuff anymore...
Old September 19 2013, 01:25 PM   #520
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Depends. Someone who was a fan took them then left the BBC out of guilt OR didn't want them junked and fled somewhere where he couldn't be found, not knowing he has the long-sought-after collection of The Power of the Daleks.

He may not have seen the note that in 1978 the BBC weren't destroying stuff anymore...
It's possible, but somehow... if someone was motivated enough to take an entire story, not just an episode or two like with Masterplan 2, my gut feeling is that they'd be interested enough in the series to know the current position.
This doesn't rule out there being film cans in the attic of a now deceased ex-BBC person, of course...
Old September 23 2013, 02:02 PM   #521
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Just 6 days after the last imminent announcement failed to materialize, another one is being predicted. It's today! No, it's tomorrow! Or later in the week! But it's definitely soon, according to all the people with "sources" (yes, including the one who said two more years of secrecy just the other day). Well, all the people with "sources" except Rich Johnston, who says on Twitter he hasn't heard anything about an announcement, but may soon post a new article about what he has "learned" since the last one. I suppose it's too much to hope that'll be "how to disentangle fact from wishful thinking in the fevered rumor-mongering of Doctor Who fans."
Old September 23 2013, 02:12 PM   #522
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

You've missed it. It was a secret announcement last week, in code. That no-one could see...
Old September 23 2013, 02:22 PM   #523
The Wormhole
Admiral

The funny part is these people who are so insistent that there are missing episodes that BBC are going to announce are probably the same who, if they did somehow manage to see a missing episode would be hyper critical of it, calling it a disappointment that failed to live up to the hype it built up from years of being hidden from fandom and they feel cheated getting their hopes up for this abysmal disappointment.

Okay, now I want something to be found just so I can see if this exact scenario plays out.
Old September 23 2013, 02:38 PM   #524
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The funny part is these people who are so insistent that there are missing episodes that BBC are going to announce are probably the same who, if they did somehow manage to see a missing episode would be hyper critical of it, calling it a disappointment that failed to live up to the hype it built up from years of being hidden from fandom and they feel cheated getting their hopes up for this abysmal disappointment.

Okay, now I want something to be found just so I can see if this exact scenario plays out.
LOL, so true. In fact, although it didn't go nuclear, I seem to recall a little bit of posting of disappointment with the Underwater Menace and Galaxy 4 finds, because they weren't from better Serials.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 08:11 PM   #525
diankra
Commodore

I got wind that something had been found a few days before That Missing Believed wiped, and mentioned it to my sister, while saying that I'd also heard it included a David Bowie Top of the Pops appearance, and that might be all. Her comment was '"And if there is any Doctor Who, it'll be Underwater sodding Menace." ;-)