Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 211 56.87%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 61 16.44%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 39 10.51%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 53 14.29%
I don't know. 7 1.89%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20 2013, 06:49 PM   #136
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

BillJ wrote: View Post

From everything we've seen, it seemed the Romulans never really had the stomach for an out-and-out war with the Federation.
The Romulans didn't shy away from war with the Dominion, granted with the evidence in hand, it was in the interest of their self-preservation.

Self-interest is what motivates them and generally wars cost more than they're worth. If they did find out about Sisko's gambit, it could lead to war. Of course it could lead to them making territorial demands like say cede us the Neutral Zone or something. Even if Sisko's evidence was fabricated, the gist of it was likely very accurate.
Old September 20 2013, 09:03 PM   #137
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Evidently the Romulans didn't believe it was accurate, and we're likely viewing this through a fair bit of Federation bias.

It sounds unlikely, but not impossible, that the Dominion might have ultimately left the Romulans (and, for that matter, others that they had non-aggression pacts with) alone if and when they were done with the Allies.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:47 PM   #138
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Prime timeline, alternate timeline, still another alternate timeline, the Mirror-verse...whatever. I want good stories and good characters.

Having said that, it also depends on what one means by the prime timeline? Do you consider official novels to be canon--in which case a big chunk of the Federation was destroyed by the Borg, Andor seceded, but the Borg themselves are no more. Is STO?

My concern is with the increasing trend towards wars, explosions, roller-coaster rides and the like. Not that wars cannot make for great stories! The Dominion War included some excellent episodes! But frankly stories about what happens when we're not fighting for our lives against vast armadas of terrifying starships has a lot more resonance with my life. Can't even remember the last time someone succeeded to destroying a planet.
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 05:47 AM   #139
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Novels aren't canon. Period. Perhaps you meant "part of your personal continuity"?
Old September 21 2013, 12:09 PM   #140
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't want the novels to be canon. Destiny trilogy took it way too far.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 01:35 AM   #141
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

What about a series that restored the Abrams timeline to the Prime timeline, like a Back to the Future III, but with elements of the new BSG and FireFly in it?
Old September 23 2013, 02:58 AM   #142
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Why?
Old September 23 2013, 03:12 AM   #143
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Because in Star Trek, there has always between the moral sense to NOT mess with the timeline. You can fix it, travel through time and space, discover new things, and have a great story arch that ultimately winds up saving the galaxy. Have a catalyst, like a galaxy-wide war between the Borg and the Dominion.
Old September 23 2013, 02:22 PM   #144
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The timeline is not going to be "fixed". The studio wanted rid of the old timeline on TV and film as there was little to no audience left.
Old September 23 2013, 05:05 PM   #145
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
The timeline is not going to be "fixed". The studio wanted rid of the old timeline on TV and film as there was little to no audience left.
I think there may have also been a perception, fair or not, that the sheer amount of Trek continuity out there had gotten too intimidating to the average viewer. A new timeline offers new viewers an opportunity to climb aboard without feeling that they have nearly fifty years of intricate Trek history to catch up on.

You needed do something to overcome the perception, among the public and mainstream media, that Trek was just for Trekkies--and too "complicated" for anybody who doesn't have a degree in Klingon politics! .

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 23 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 07:11 PM   #146
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

And it was, there was not one but several encyclopedias that couldn't keep up with the volume of superfluous information being produced.

So it was nice to remove that burdon from the franchise, lets not put that cumbersome weight right back on it.
Old September 23 2013, 07:14 PM   #147
SeerSGB
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I think there may have also been a perception, fair or not, that the sheer amount of Trek continuity out there had gotten too intimidating to the average viewer. A new timeline offers new viewers an opportunity to climb aboard without feeling that they have nearly fifty years of intricate Trek history to catch up on.

You needed do something to overcome the perception, among the public and mainstream media, that Trek was just for Trekkies--and too "complicated" for anybody who doesn't have a degree in Klingon politics! .
When man's right, he's right. How long can you keep a franchise alive with an aging fanbase and a product that isn't relevant or interesting to the current market?
Old September 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #148
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

It'd be easy enough to create a whole new series within the new Abrams Verse that restores the Prime Verse and does it in a way that doesn't require a degree in Star Trek canon. For example, if it took place in a future where everyone was really vague about what happened historically, a future where humanity doesn't have the Starfleet Library available at subspace. Uh oh! Star Trek just got back into an original story exploring the human condition and new and exciting aliens? Hold on to your butts.
Old September 23 2013, 11:19 PM   #149
SeerSGB
Admiral

Or you jettison all the baggage, and you start over with the characters that are the real pop culture icons: the TOS crew.
Old September 24 2013, 01:44 AM   #150
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

A TOS story would be awesome. Thing is that since they're familiar, if you jettison all the baggage, you gotta jettison them, too. The brilliant thing about a timeline story is that you can visit them, you can have them help to save the 'verse, you can have them help in time, and, as The Doctor explains, time is weebly wobbly, and you can go Who with Trek, make it AWESOME!