RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 410
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 21 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Earth Spacedock and its true purpose?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
That's totally splitting hairs, because the terms "dock" and "port" have always been used interchangeably throughout history to describe any place where ships are moored.
I'd say Wikipedia suggests otherwise, i.e. that a dock can be part of a port but a port is not the "lesser" part of a dock.
Sorry, but that's pure semantics. The terms are both used to describe places where ships are.

Last edited by C.E. Evans; September 21 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Here is a question for those that have a copy of the novelization of ST III.

How is Earth Spacedock actually described, do we get more information about its actual functions (i.e. in the arrival scene and the escape scene or else)?

Thanks in advance for looking it up.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 04:38 PM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It's described as "a great enclosed docking bay [that] allowed people to work outside the ship, yet it protected them from the free radiation of space." There is additional mention of it in a later passage containing various ships being built, serviced, or just being berthed there.
Old September 21 2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

By "outside the ship" do they mean like literally on the outer hull?
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 05:18 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Most likely. Ms. McIntyre didn't give any indication that the interior of Spacedock was pressurized or not, though. But when she described its space doors opening, she made no mention of an atmospheric forcefield in operation.
Old September 21 2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

It does sound somewhat odd, you'd think that their EVA suits provide sufficient protection from the "free radiation of space" (especially in the 23rd Century).

And we did see that in TMP unless the ship was assembled by Workbees and that guy waving was just out to do a little spacewalk before radiation levels became unhealthy and forced him to return "indoors".

I presume if we look for further elaborations in the other novelizations, the writers took the Okuda posture when it came to the working principle of the infamous Heisenberg compensators: They work adequately and do the job they were designed for.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; September 21 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 05:59 PM   #22
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

That's totally splitting hairs, because the terms "dock" and "port" have always been used interchangeably throughout history to describe any place where ships are moored.
I'd say Wikipedia suggests otherwise, i.e. that a dock can be part of a port but a port is not the "lesser" part of a dock.
Sorry, but that's pure semantics. The terms are both used to describe places where ships are.
Yes, both describe places where ships are. But I believe there is a difference. A dock is like a berth, the "parking spot" for a vessel, the location/structure that accommodates a ship.

A port includes dock(s) and also the supporting maintenance, cargo, fueling, quarters, other facilities.

If you say "the port of Rotterdam" or "the port of New York", there's more implied than if you say "the dock in New York".
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 06:08 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

Yes, both describe places where ships are. But I believe there is a difference.
Not really. It's just terminology.

A dock is like a berth, the "parking spot" for a vessel, the location/structure that accommodates a ship.

A port includes dock(s) and also the supporting maintenance, cargo, fueling, quarters, other facilities.
In a real sense, that's my point. We're still describing a place where ships are parked. At best, it's the difference where a specific ship is parked and where multiple ships are parked.
Old September 22 2013, 08:39 AM   #24
Maurice
Vice Admiral

dock 1 |däk|
noun
a structure extending alongshore or out from the shore into a body of water, to which boats may be moored : the gangplank was lowered to the dock.
• an enclosed area of water in a port for the loading, unloading, and repair of ships.
• ( docks) a group of such enclosed areas of water along with the wharves and buildings near them.
short for dry dock .
• (also loading dock) a platform for loading or unloading trucks or freight trains.

port 1 |pôrt|
noun
a town or city with a harbor where ships load or unload, esp. one where customs officers are stationed.
• a harbor : the port has miles of docks | [as adj. ] an abundant water supply and port facilities.
• (also inland port) an inland town or city whose connection to the coast by a river or other body of water enables it to act as a port.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:14 AM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

A rose by any other name.
Old September 22 2013, 01:21 PM   #26
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Its really annoying trying to figure out why ships would go to spacedock for repairs instead of a drydock. But I was thinking, you don't really see any workbees in the place, and it doesnt have the amount of lighting the drydocks had. Im thinking it might be a Refueling place and a place to park while the crew is on leave and etc. It might be that the drydocks stay so busy you have to keep them open as much as possible.

I really wish that the JJ Abrams movie would have shown this complex under construction or something. You know this Spacedock had to take a very long time to build...and I guarantee this monster was not constructed of the surface. NO WAY IN HELL!!!
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 12:34 AM   #27
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

I've always just looked at Spacedock One as being a massive spaceport, a major port of call for ships--both Starfleet and civilian--passing through Sector 001. It has a strong Starfleet presence (and may have levels reserved solely for Starfleet's usage), but I tend to think the majority of its population is civilian and may not be too unlike DS9 in the way it operates with retail shops, restaurants, business offices, entertainment venues, permanent residential areas, etc. In a way, it's an entire city in space, IMO.
I've always kinda thought that myself.. I'll even go one more and say there is NO reason to think that space dock even has Anti-Matter in it at all. There no reason for it to have a M/AM reactor. It doesn't move anywhere.

If there were Anti-Matter processing on the Sol system i'd say it's much much closer to the sun. Powered by vast solar arrays. Serviced my tankers making runs to and from the gas giants in systems.
Old September 23 2013, 07:10 AM   #28
BK613
Captain

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
Its really annoying trying to figure out why ships would go to spacedock for repairs instead of a drydock... It might be that the drydocks stay so busy you have to keep them open as much as possible.
Not all repairs require a drydock. I would surmise that drydocks are typically employed for major structural changes and/or new construction. Items like interior remodels and software upgrades would be a waste of a drydock's resources since they could be accomplished pier-side in Spacedock. Especially in an age of transporters.
Old September 23 2013, 07:21 AM   #29
zDarby
Lieutenant

If spacedock is a hub of local travel than she very likely has antimatter to fill up the tanks of those in need.

I see no reason why there couldn't be a antimatter creation crew aboard. It's a rather big station, definately a metropolis in orbit. Why shouldn't this metropolis make enough antimatter for local Earth traffic? Why not have the local traffic hub be able to take care of ceeating the fuel for the local traffic? Naturally, if you want to supply the solar system with antimatter you'll make a station within the orbit of Mercury and collect mass solar energy for your project. But, as someone said, fusion energy is cheap in Star Trek and making antimatter is way easier then than now. I like the notion of spacedock maker its own fuel, even if it's only for the locals.

Finally, even in TMP they're doing some pretty amazing stuff with force fields. It seems perfectly possible that the inside is a place where a ship berths to be surrounded by a force field that can then be pressurized. And even that is assuming that the whole place isn't pressurized and the forcefields are at or near the doors so that the bay doors can open without depressurization...just like shuttlecraft. No, we don't see it. But we don't see it anywhere in TMP movies (that I remember) and yet I assume it's true for them.
zDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 08:54 AM   #30
Maurice
Vice Admiral

"Dock" is short for "dry dock" so calling it a "space dock" doesn't automatically mean it can't also be a dry dock.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote