Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 23 2013, 02:35 AM   #1
mythme
Commodore

Spock's child - yay or nay?

I've been thinking, it was long-speculated although never confirmed nor disproven that the reason Saavik remain on Vulcan in STIV was that she was pregnant with Spock's child, having conceived during STIII after helping the regenerated Spock relieve his pon farr.

If a new series came along set in the prime timeline, how would you all feel about a character being Spock's offspring? By the llate 24th century, they would be about 120; middle-aged for a Vulcan. It might provide a nostalgic link to TOS and might also cement the cryptic line in "Sarek" about Lt. Picard attending Sarek's "son's wedding" (to Saavik?)

Or would this be a dumb idea, or maybe just redundant, having yet another Vulcan following Tuvok and T'Pol?
Old September 23 2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Re: Spock's child - yay or nay?

Wasn't one of the other "Saavik is pregnant" theories that she was pregnant with David's child?
Old September 23 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

It would have to be prime universe. Abrams-verse never had the genesis planet, thus no dead Spock, and no Saavik or David Marcus yet. Just throwing some facts out.
Old September 23 2013, 05:28 AM   #4
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I personally don't have a problem with it. Vulcans helped found the Federation and are relatively common. Even in TOS the entire crew of USS Intrepid were Vulcans, while we've seen Vulcan admirals, captains, scientists, diplomats, even at least one Vulcan Maquis!
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

They're everywhere, but not after Nero! (Too soon?) But seriously, in the Abrams-verse, I wouldn't say it would be super likely that you would see Vulcans everywhere. They would be an "endangered species". (Blatant throwback, Abrams-Style.)
Old September 23 2013, 05:41 AM   #6
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I think you've already made the point this cannot be Abrams' alternate timeline.
Old September 23 2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I pray to whatever benevolent deity that when Trek returns to TV it is in the Prime Universe. A child/descendant of Spock wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm pretty sure when they were first starting to create TNG they planned on having Spock's grandchild on the crew as, like the OP said, a direct connection between the series.

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
It would have to be prime universe. Abrams-verse never had the genesis planet, thus no dead Spock, and no Saavik or David Marcus yet. Just throwing some facts out.
It would only work in the Prime Universe, otherwise it might be a Spock/Uhura baby, which would make it obnoxious and unstable--poor kid.
Old September 23 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
"...otherwise it might be a Spock/Uhura baby, which would make it obnoxious and unstable--poor kid."
Beautiful, and well-played.
Old September 23 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
Beautiful, and well-played.
Zachary Quinto is very attractive, but Zoe Saldana isn't a great actress.
Old September 23 2013, 04:20 PM   #10
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I've no objection to a Spock/Uhura offspring either, in the Abrams TL (which I have some problems with but might make a good "setting" anyway).
Old September 23 2013, 04:23 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Boy between NuSpock's emoness and NuUhura's mood swings, that kid's gonna make the Kardashians look stable.
Old September 23 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sounds terrible. Sorry.
Old September 23 2013, 09:10 PM   #13
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

It would be cool if Spock and Uhura had a kiddo that grew up and ultimately sacrificed himself to restore the timeline... give it the whole emotional bonding to a character that gets Jossed.
Old September 24 2013, 12:02 AM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Why would the kid want to sacrifice himself to restore a timeline that never existed? Maybe if things get even more fubared in the altverse I could see that being an option, but Picard said it well in Yesterday's Enterprise.

"Who's to say this history is any less proper than the other?"

That was even when he lived in a messed up universe. But really even if NuTrek is a pale imitation of the prime verse in my opinion, it needs to define itself as it's own rather than just tying back into the prime universe at every opportunity. Jest let Spock Prime die of old age or something and get on with telling their story... hopefully one that isn't a rehash of something already done before.
Old September 24 2013, 03:39 AM   #15
SolitaryJustice
Lieutenant

What if Baby Spock learned from his father that "The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few... or the one" and knew, somehow, BELIEVED (letting an emotion into a Vulcan-disciplined mind) that there was a way to save life in our galaxy, and that wasn't to assassinate a leader or begin a rebellion, it was to go find a random (yet coincidentally (and conveniently) not SO random) point in time where changing one thing can prevent assimilation and repression from taking over all life in the entire galaxy? I'd say that'd be an interesting storyline if set in the backdrop of a dark survivalist world of a galactic war between the Borg and the Dominion in an Abrams-Verse future, hundreds of years from the current stardate.