Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 23 2013, 04:51 AM   #61
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
Ok, you guys have really got me on my window grievance. I understand where you all are coming from. (As I earlier admitted, I feel really really stupid for not considering the other ship windows.)

But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out. And if no form of radiation got through the transparent aluminum, then you would not be able to see out of it, because no light would be coming in(its a type of radiation). BUt say thats the only radiation coming through, a sudden burst of light can blind the crew, even momentarily. (Captain Robou activates the "Sunglass"...even after the crew has been staring at the close sun the few minutes it takes him to get to the bridge.) I just think that the bridge is the one place you do not want a window. (I also had a problem with the top of the bridge in TNG being a window also-so its not just a NuTrek thing)
Old school tech: Polarized windows. Combine that with the ship's sensors and bingo problem solved.

And even using a view screen, the crew would get flash blinded in TOS

Old September 23 2013, 04:53 AM   #62
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Wow, you know I forgot about that-sad considering that was the first TOS episode I ever owned on VHS.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:00 AM   #63
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Ok, you guys have really got me on my window grievance. I understand where you all are coming from. (As I earlier admitted, I feel really really stupid for not considering the other ship windows.)

But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out. And if no form of radiation got through the transparent aluminum, then you would not be able to see out of it, because no light would be coming in(its a type of radiation). BUt say thats the only radiation coming through, a sudden burst of light can blind the grew, even momentarily. (Captain Robou activates the "Sunglass"...even after the crew has been staring at the close sun the few minutes it takes him to get to the bridge.) I just think that the bridge is the one place you do not want a window. (I also had a problem with the top of the bridge in TNG being a window also-so its not just a NuTrek thing)
We've seen that very scenario. A big explosion. The entire crew covers their eyes. The light from the explosion recedes. The crew goes back to work. That's how Star Trek works. Same for your radiation theory. Starfleet tech allows for the bad stuff to be filtered out and the good stuff to go in and out.

So your "Greivence" is with Star Trek in general not NuTrek.

So windows are off the list. Fencing is off the list. Spock and Uhura are off the list. April is off the list. The launch date is off the list. What's left?

Ah, The "inconvenience" of building it on the ground. It's very convenient for the workers. No worries about things like breathing, Freedom of movement. Also gravity is under total control in the 23rd Century and can be turned off with the flip of a switch. One UFP member has cities that float in the air!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:02 AM   #64
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Wow, you know I forgot about that-sad considering that was the first TOS episode I ever owned on VHS.
What you forgot and don't know is getting to be quite a list.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 23 2013, 05:05 AM   #65
SeerSGB
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out. And if no form of radiation got through the transparent aluminum, then you would not be able to see out of it, because no light would be coming in(its a type of radiation). BUt say thats the only radiation coming through, a sudden burst of light can blind the grew, even momentarily. (Captain Robou activates the "Sunglass"...even after the crew has been staring at the close sun the few minutes it takes him to get to the bridge.) I just think that the bridge is the one place you do not want a window. (I also had a problem with the top of the bridge in TNG being a window also-so its not just a NuTrek thing)
We've seen that very scenario. A big explosion. The entire crew covers their eyes. The light from the explosion recedes. The crew goes back to work. That's how Star Trek works. Same for your radiation theory. Starfleet tech allows for the bad stuff to be filtered out and the good stuff to go in and out.

So your "Greivence" is with Star Trek in general not NuTrek.

So windows are off the list. Fencing is off the list. Spock and Uhura are off the list. April is off the list. The launch date is off the list. What's left?

Ah, The "inconvenience" of building it on the ground. It's very convenient for the workers. No worries about things like breathing, Freedom of movement. Also gravity is under total control in the 23rd Century and can be turned off with the flip of a switch. One UFP member has cities that float in the air!
And it's not a new concept: "Flag Full Of Stars" (TOS novel) has the saucer section detached and refitted on Earth cause it would be easier to do the work on Earth; TNG "Paraelles" shows a Galaxy class ship under construction on the surface of Mars.

Edit: I had my copy of the Making Of Star Trek handy: Looks like building part of the ship on the surface and ferrying them into orbit was in the original ideas for the Enterprise's back story.

Giving anti-grave tech and the like, building a whole ship dirt side wouldn't be that hard

Last edited by SeerSGB; September 23 2013 at 05:17 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:15 AM   #66
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Doing rebuilds on the part that does not have the warp drive in it on the ground is one thing (and I think such a move would be more of a PR stunt than a matter of practicality given how many people would by then be totally at ease working and playing in zero-gee and could work faster without gravity in the way, to say nothing of the advantages of zero-gee fabrication, which we've already gotten a taste of), building the whole thing with its m/am whoosiwhatsis on the ground has enormous potential for calamity.

Maybe that is why they do it in Iowa instead of SF, because it'll just be another huge hole in the ground if things go wrong, like the thing Kirk almost falls into during the car chase? Starfleet - protecting our borders, while leaving the homeland pockmarked with memories of OOPS!moment warp experiments in gravity wells.

It'd be interesting to see how many of the built-it-on-the-ground-is-fine-because-it-is-the-future-and-energy-is-free folks grew up as much on STAR WARS as TREK. Seems the generation that saw SW before 2001 (if they saw the latter at all) is much more inclined to give more credence to the fantasy aspect than anything even vaguely science-based (and they were, I suppose, rewarded with the starship SEAVIEW earlier this year.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:20 AM   #67
SeerSGB
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Doing rebuilds on the part that does not have the warp drive in it on the ground is one thing (and I think such a move would be more of a PR stunt than a matter of practicality given how many people would by then be totally at ease working and playing in zero-gee and could work faster without gravity in the way, to say nothing of the advantages of zero-gee fabrication, which we've already gotten a taste of), building the whole thing with its m/am whoosiwhatsis on the ground has enormous potential for calamity.

Maybe that is why they do it in Iowa instead of SF, because it'll just be another huge hole in the ground if things go wrong, like the thing Kirk almost falls into during the car chase? Starfleet - protecting our borders, while leaving the homeland pockmarked with memories of OOPS!moment warp experiments in gravity wells.

It'd be interesting to see how many of the built-it-on-the-ground-is-fine-because-it-is-the-future-and-energy-is-free folks grew up as much on STAR WARS as TREK. Seems the generation that saw SW before 2001 (if they saw the latter at all) is much more inclined to give more credence to the fantasy aspect than anything even vaguely science-based (and they were, I suppose, rewarded with the starship SEAVIEW earlier this year.)

Maybe the core isn't fueled until the ship is tractored into orbit?

Only TOS treated energy as being a concern. From the movies forward, it wasn't a thing to worry about most times. Maybe once in a while when plot demanded, but other wise they never worried about it.
Old September 23 2013, 05:28 AM   #68
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I was born in 1950s and saw Trek in the 60s and Wars in the 70s. So count me as a Trek first guy. And I saw 2001 when I was ten.

The hole in Iowa is a quarry.

We've no idea if an active warp drive was on the ship when at the Riverside shipyard. As I said they probably lifted the ship into space using Ardanese tech.

The workers are safer in Iowa than in orbit, no matter how skilled they are in zero g construction.
Old September 23 2013, 05:32 AM   #69
Opus
Commodore

Everyone seems concerned about radiation from the damn windows, but apparently not concerned about workers exposed to radiation while working in space.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:34 AM   #70
SeerSGB
Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
Everyone seems concerned about radiation from the damn windows, but apparently not concerned about workers exposed to radiation while working in space.
Apparently there's no unions in the 23rd century. Can you imagine the shit storm over worker safety.
Old September 23 2013, 06:21 AM   #71
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Apparently there's no unions in the 23rd century. Can you imagine the shit storm over worker safety.
Yeah, those Redshirt would have formed a union ...that would have been disasterous XD
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 07:21 AM   #72
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

It'd be interesting to see how many of the built-it-on-the-ground-is-fine-because-it-is-the-future-and-energy-is-free folks grew up as much on STAR WARS as TREK.
It's been done, many times over. The notion that approval or disapproval of starships built on the ground is dictated by an age divide has been shown to be false - each and every time it's come up.

Seems the generation that saw SW before 2001 (if they saw the latter at all) is much more inclined to give more credence to the fantasy aspect than anything even vaguely science-based (and they were, I suppose, rewarded with the starship SEAVIEW earlier this year.)
And no, everyone's just fine on the lawn, right where they are.

... huge [OOPS!moment warp experiment] hole in the ground... like the thing Kirk almost falls into during the car chase...
The sign at the gate read "Danger - open quarry". Eastern Iowa has lots of quarries - for limestone, mostly.
Old September 23 2013, 11:24 AM   #73
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

People call me a hater.
1.Lensflares- This is my most pressing issue.
I'm sorry but this is extremely funny.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 02:29 PM   #74
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

You can see inside the nacelles while she's in the Riverside shipyard, and the coil mechanisms are in there, fully equipped. Also, why they would be welding the nacelles shut when they'd have to painstakingly skin them again to put the engines in then incase them *again* taking months is pointless.

She was built entirely on the ground and used the same antigravity system that took over from the thrusters in Into Darkness when she powered up.

Apparently, this causes no problems for Starfleet or the dockyards.
Old September 23 2013, 04:03 PM   #75
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

No, he joined around 10 years after the date these movies occur.
This is a reboot. Chekov can join Starfleet anytime the writers like.