Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 15 2013, 03:43 AM   #61
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Re: Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)

@Albertese
Yes, I will model the exterior hull for the reasons you gave.

@The Librarian
^^ And I agree with you! The steps in the pictures are wrong. No doubt.
My latest iteration has better steps in a different configuration. I plan to post images soon. Currently, the upper bridge module consumes most of my time. It will be a total new design, since neither of the available blueprints fills the area plausible (I include what Whitefire had in mind for the upper bridge module deck, but it will be on the lower bridge module deck).
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 12:09 AM   #62
lewisniven
Lieutenant Commander

Any updates on this? I'm pretty excited for this one, love how its looking so far.
Old August 20 2013, 06:22 PM   #63
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Not that much of an update...

But that's the area I'm currently working at. There will be a restaurant, where they cook real food. The connection between the bridge and the conference lounge still needs some work, but is almost finished. The corridor leading to deck 2 and the restaurant occupies most of my time now. I plan to release a bunch of pictures of this process when i think I nailed the design to an acceptable degree(plus making the rough models).

P.S.
Sorry for not posting that much. But it means I'm working on this project.
Old September 22 2013, 06:27 PM   #64
fenderf4i
Cadet

I've been wanting something like this for a very long time. It would be amazing to walk through with an Occulus Rift headset. Please keep us updated!!!
fenderf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:59 AM   #65
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Ya know, everyone in the XI forum have been thinking about how the decks of the New E fit and what all is in them, you'd be amazing for that job!
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 08:14 PM   #66
lewisniven
Lieutenant Commander

Please tell me this isn't dead...
Old December 16 2013, 08:38 PM   #67
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

This isn't dead. ^^

I am indeed working on it continuously. But there are other things to do, besides designing the visuals. Therefore it takes the visual content a little longer to be in a presentable stage. Stay tuned.
Old January 5 2014, 04:33 PM   #68
lewisniven
Lieutenant Commander

I am so tuned
Old February 26 2014, 06:07 AM   #69
satanclauss
Cadet

Re: Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)q

I am dying to see more! I get that you only want to release stuff when u have it ready but don't u have just 1 small tidbit u can share? So far this looks incredible!
satanclauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 10:30 PM   #70
Ryan8bit
Commodore

It's cool to see this project. I don't know why I didn't look for something like it sooner, but I myself was going to try modeling just the visible sets of Deck 1 (Bridge, Ready Room, Conference Lounge, Turbolifts). Mostly just because people so often do exteriors, which I think is fairly simple or almost done too much. I wanted to see some interiors modeled, and was surprised that not much was available on the internet. Sure, there are models like those at Turbosquid, but even those have errors in the details. And most of all I don't like their textures and lighting. I wanted to see if I could not only build the bridge, but light and texture it accurately. This is a daunting task for a lot of the reasons you've listed.

I became very frustrated on how to build the bridge because of all of its organic shapes. The blueprints I'd seen were inconsistent, and none of them were fully accurate with what was seen on the show. I'd try to line up views in 3d, but it seldom wouldn't work. But then I realized why it wouldn't work, and that's because of the way video was cropped then. I realized this when watching part of one of the features on the TNG Blu Ray, part of which can be seen here. They demonstrate how the film was cropped. After looking through more examples of raw footage, I found that a lot of the cropped shots weren't centered horizontally or vertically, and that they weren't always consistent. This made it really hard to line up images not knowing the crop. A lot of times you can tell vertically where it should sit, but horizontal is a lot tougher, especially with all the round shapes. For this reason, I'd love to see some side by side comparisons of your 3d with images from the show. That was what I wanted to do: show side by side images and hopefully they would be pretty spot on.

Right now I think I'm a bit humbled by some of your efforts, as well as having difficulty with inconsistent references. This image I thought was helpful in seeing how the ramp and the lip of the round section of the horseshoe work together, but I'll be damned if I could actually line a camera up to this shot. I almost feel that they must have removed one of the science station walls or something to get this kind of shot.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 04:17 AM   #71
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Not much time right now, like always. But you're right, guys. So, some tidbits. (You have to click on the image and then on a magnifier symbol two times to get better quality, sorry)

@Ryan8bit
Yes, I feel the pain. Good picture, btw. I'm probably going to redo that section on the floor.
Old March 30 2014, 11:38 PM   #72
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 09:09 PM   #73
lewisniven
Lieutenant Commander

Bump, I need this.