MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 16 2013, 02:33 PM   #31
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Re: Laser vision correction

Unicron wrote: View Post
I appreciate the advice. Perhaps you could help with something else I'm curious about as well, although it's something I've tended to experience rarely. I haven't really mentioned it for that reason when I've gotten eye exams, and when I last had an ophthalmological exam they said my retinas were fine. But under certain circumstances, sometimes I experience an oddness when my eyes track motion. I'd describe it as watching something and imagining it as individual frames of film, and every so often the frames don't run together in a smooth animation. They look blockier, like when you see an infomercial that's been badly edited and has a shaky camera. But it's pretty rare, I'm just not sure what causes it. I've noticed mainly if I'm watching TV and there's a broad horizontal pan, and it doesn't always happen.
I don't know what that may be, but I can tell you that as part of the prep for my LASIK, I had the most thorough eye exam of my life! I would hope that would discover anything that may impact the procedure. You may want to post your info on an eyecare-specific forum somewhere to get a better answer, though...
Old August 17 2013, 12:48 AM   #32
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Is it possible this perception might be a sort of optical illusion? I was watching the music video for The Cranberries' "Analyse" the other night, and the scenes where the camera zig zags seem to produce this effect more noticeably for me. But the other motion looks normal, and I don't have this perception when watching a video like REM's "Imitation of Life" which is sort of based on a similar principle.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 01:45 AM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Maybe you are seeing the Matrix?
Old August 20 2013, 12:33 AM   #34
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Can I be the One and get powers over reality?

Old August 20 2013, 04:57 AM   #35
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
But under certain circumstances, sometimes I experience an oddness when my eyes track motion. I'd describe it as watching something and imagining it as individual frames of film, and every so often the frames don't run together in a smooth animation. They look blockier, like when you see an infomercial that's been badly edited and has a shaky camera. But it's pretty rare, I'm just not sure what causes it. I've noticed mainly if I'm watching TV and there's a broad horizontal pan, and it doesn't always happen.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

That's an interesting situation.

There are really two main types of eye movements: smooth pursuits and saccades. Smooth pursuits are just just, you're tracking something and the eye moves in a fluid motion. A saccade is when you're actively trying to move your eye to a specific location (as you look into a street for oncoming cars, or as you read across a page) and tend to be jumpier.

So, if we're talking about something that shows up while you're following something, then that would be a smooth pursuit disorder, but if this is showing up while watching TV and you're actively trying to look at another portion of the screen that would be a saccadic disorder.

TVs these days are often big enough (fancy term: subtend a large enough visual angle) that we do have to perform more eye movements than in the past, and they're often crisp enough that our brains can get tricked into thinking that we're following actual objects rather than just looking at different parts of a static screen. In the absence of more advanced testing, I'd guess that what you're noticing could be moments where the illusion is broken and your eyes are making jumpy saccadic movements from one part of the screen to another rather than conducting smooth pursuits.

Of course, if you notice this when not watching TV I'm completely off here. I was never very good at diagnosing by text.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 06:10 AM   #36
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

I think it could be a saccadic issue from your description (and I hope mine wasn't too confusing - I know it's not the easiest thing to describe ). It's pretty minor when I do notice it, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's an actual error or not. Our eyes are impressive at processing so much data, it's amazing to think of how much they take in.

Old September 23 2013, 02:17 AM   #37
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

* small bump *

In thinking more about this and reading some information online, I'd be interested in learning more about the concept of saccadic skips. I realize it's impossible to diagnose my specific eyes (unless I get into the Matrix ), but does this sort of symptom sound like a potential concern?