RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,549
Posts: 5,422,127
Members: 24,805
Currently online: 422
Newest member: Dylancute

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old September 22 2013, 11:03 PM   #631
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
As to my Yankees, long injury riddled season. If you would have told me we'd still technically in it with a week to go at the beginning of the season I would have told you to go have another drink.
Joe Girardi deserves to be manager of the year. To have all those injuries tossed in his lap, find a way to deal with them all, and still come out of it with a winning record? Even if the Yankees don't make the playoffs, he still should get the honor.
I would agree. All though I'm sure they'll give it to the Red Sox manager.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old September 22 2013, 11:07 PM   #632
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Yanks wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
As to my Yankees, long injury riddled season. If you would have told me we'd still technically in it with a week to go at the beginning of the season I would have told you to go have another drink.
Joe Girardi deserves to be manager of the year. To have all those injuries tossed in his lap, find a way to deal with them all, and still come out of it with a winning record? Even if the Yankees don't make the playoffs, he still should get the honor.
I would agree. All though I'm sure they'll give it to the Red Sox manager.
Agreed. Although, I am consistently amazed at what Joe Maddon gets out of the guys of the Rays.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old September 22 2013, 11:34 PM   #633
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Joe Girardi deserves to be manager of the year. To have all those injuries tossed in his lap, find a way to deal with them all, and still come out of it with a winning record? Even if the Yankees don't make the playoffs, he still should get the honor.
I would agree. All though I'm sure they'll give it to the Red Sox manager.
Agreed. Although, I am consistently amazed at what Joe Maddon gets out of the guys of the Rays.
Yup, that organization sure developes some good pitching...
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old September 22 2013, 11:40 PM   #634
Pondwater
Commodore
 
Pondwater's Avatar
 
Location: In Left Field.
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Credit to the Sux manager John Farrell, he brought that team out of the Bobby Valentine disaster. However, Manager of the Year should go to either Don Mattingly, the Dodgers came from Worst to First this season or the Skipper of the Bravos Freddie Gonzales, the Braves were plagued with injuries,compensate and stayed in first place all season long. And are the NL East Champs.
Pondwater is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 12:28 AM   #635
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Busch Stadium field is now torn to shreds...right before the Cardinals come home. Link

I fail to see the logic of insisting on a football game at a baseball-only park like this when there's a perfectly good football stadium just miles away, but what can you do.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 01:52 AM   #636
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Why yes, I am drinking some scotch and celebrating your 2013 NL East champion Atlanta Braves. It feels good.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 02:03 AM   #637
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

^ Like anyone else was going to clinch that division.

I do feel like celebrating the Mets sweep of the Phillies, though.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 02:11 AM   #638
Pondwater
Commodore
 
Pondwater's Avatar
 
Location: In Left Field.
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Why yes, I am drinking some scotch and celebrating your 2013 NL East champion Atlanta Braves. It feels good.
Sure does. It's going to be wild at the Ted tomorrow night.
Pondwater is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 02:22 AM   #639
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Why yes, I am drinking some scotch and celebrating your 2013 NL East champion Atlanta Braves. It feels good.
Sure does. It's going to be wild at the Ted tomorrow night.
Yes Mam! Cheers!
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 12:34 PM   #640
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Credit to the Sux manager John Farrell, he brought that team out of the Bobby Valentine disaster. However, Manager of the Year should go to either Don Mattingly, the Dodgers came from Worst to First this season or the Skipper of the Bravos Freddie Gonzales, the Braves were plagued with injuries,compensate and stayed in first place all season long. And are the NL East Champs.
I believe there is a MAnager of the Year award in each league.

I actually think they brought Valantine in to accomplish what happened.

They sucked, dumped tons of salary and a punk (Becket) and ended up getting the players they wanted.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 02:31 PM   #641
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Yanks wrote: View Post
Pondwater wrote: View Post
Credit to the Sux manager John Farrell, he brought that team out of the Bobby Valentine disaster. However, Manager of the Year should go to either Don Mattingly, the Dodgers came from Worst to First this season or the Skipper of the Bravos Freddie Gonzales, the Braves were plagued with injuries,compensate and stayed in first place all season long. And are the NL East Champs.
I believe there is a MAnager of the Year award in each league.

I actually think they brought Valantine in to accomplish what happened.

They sucked, dumped tons of salary and a punk (Becket) and ended up getting the players they wanted.
Yep, and it is amazing what that deal did for both the Dodgers and Red Sox. Results were not insantaneous last season but they have manifested themselves this season for both teams.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 04:45 PM   #642
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Both teams are now doing well, but did the deal really do that much for the Dodgers? (i'm on the Sox end of it, so obviously not complaining, as that end worked out great)

-Beckett: Bad, then on DL, not sure if going to be able to pitch again
-Crawford: Terrible, 20M bench player at this point, 5 more years? or 4?
-Gonzo: Decent, but at 21M? Hit about .300, 'only' 21HRs. Good, for sure, but not the expected great
-Punto: throw-in, whatever.

Again, i'm happy with the trade, but not sure the Dodgers got as much out of it as is being said. And they took a quarter-billion on in salary and gave up a couple good prospects (and a couple fillers) in the deal.

Both teams are doing well in the wake of the trade, but was it the cause for the Dodgers? Hanley's been just as important for them, no? And Beckett was actively hurting them.
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 05:26 PM   #643
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013



__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Old September 23 2013, 11:00 PM   #644
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

RIP Manny Machado's knee. Holy shit.
Timby is offline  
Old September 24 2013, 01:16 AM   #645
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Timby wrote: View Post
RIP Manny Machado's knee. Holy shit.
That brought back Jeter memories...
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.