Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18 2013, 09:50 PM   #4801
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Michael001 wrote: View Post
Character development in this movie was puerile. Again, I must be showing my age but what's with the casual relationship and interactions between the captain and his subordinate officers and crew?

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand.
Don't worry you oldies are not the only ones in this minority group who dislike STID. Being 21 myself I've seen a fair share of Star Trek and STID was the first ST movie which left me disappointed. For me it was the ending, and how it fizzled out, which really did the damage for me.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 09:55 PM   #4802
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
neoworx wrote: View Post
Shocker – I won't be buying the DVD which makes this the first Star Trek movie EVER that I won't own.

Here's my take on the DVD: The 800 Pound Gorilla
I disagree with your blog.

The transwarp transporter makes starships no more obsolete than the transporter makes shuttles obsolete.
The transwarp transporter is a bit like the Iconian Gateway. If it can really take objects and people from A to B, in the galaxy, in a blink of an eye then it considerably reduces the purposes of starships.
How do they know they place they're going isn't just empty space, or how do they know they are materializing in a all or something, or that the place has a atmosphere they can breath, or that it isn't irradiated or something, and most importantly how do they get back since they can't take the transporter with them?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:01 PM   #4803
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'm sure the device has to interface with a larger computer/control system in some manner. Perhaps it's meant to link with a 'normal' transporter.
Old September 18 2013, 10:17 PM   #4804
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

The transwarp transporter makes starships no more obsolete than the transporter makes shuttles obsolete.
The transwarp transporter is a bit like the Iconian Gateway. If it can really take objects and people from A to B, in the galaxy, in a blink of an eye then it considerably reduces the purposes of starships.
How do they know they place they're going isn't just empty space, or how do they know they are materializing in a all or something, or that the place has a atmosphere they can breath, or that it isn't irradiated or something, and most importantly how do they get back since they can't take the transporter with them?
And going back to TNG where there is a similar concept: Maybe multiple or prolonged use fucks your body up. Great if you need to beam in a few done assains or shock troops, but terrible for the long term health of your explorers who use it repeatedly.
Old September 18 2013, 11:12 PM   #4805
Opus
Commodore

Michael001 wrote: View Post
The first movie with this new crew was very good and set the stage for a whole new Star Trek.
Agreed.

With this latest offering they have taken the arguably the best Start Trek movie of all time "Wrath of Khan" and bastardized it! Nothing new and a very poor adaptation of the original.
It had Khan, and a few nods, but it was hardly an adaptation of TWOK. Not in the least. Alt Universe characters having different experiences resulting in different outcomes - In essence, it's "a whole new Star Trek".

Reversing the characters Kirk for Spock, in one of the most memorable scenes not just in Star Trek history but in cinematic history was a travesty.
Ummmm... No.

I was embarrassed.
Really? Embarrassed? 51 years old? Really?

What's with senior star fleet crew not only having a relationship but openly kissing on deck? I must be getting old and presume this sort of rubbish is aimed at a newer generation. I can't believe the new Star Trek viewers are that stupid!
TOS, Season 1 - Court Martial:

Areel Shaw: Do you think it would cause a complete breakdown of discipline, if a lowly lieutenant kissed a starship captain on the bridge of his ship?
Captain James T. Kirk: Let's try.
[they kiss]
Captain James T. Kirk: See, no change. Discipline goes on.

Or you can go with, "It's a 'whole new Star Trek'."

Character development in this movie was puerile. Again, I must be showing my age but what's with the casual relationship and interactions between the captain and his subordinate officers and crew?
TOS Season 2 - The Trouble with Tribbles:

Capt. Kirk: Mister Scott. Where - are - the tribbles?
Scott: I used the transporter, Captain.
Capt. Kirk: You used the transporter?
Scott: Aye.
Capt. Kirk: Well, where did you transport them?
[the others are looking away, trying to appear not involved]
Capt. Kirk: Scott, you didn't transport them into space, did you?
Scott: Captain Kirk! That'd be inhuman!
Capt. Kirk: Well, where are they?
Scott: I gave them a very good home, sir.
Capt. Kirk: WHERE?
Scott: I gave 'em to the Klingons, sir.
Capt. Kirk: [whispering] You gave them to the Klingons?
Scott: Aye, sir. Before they went into warp, I transported the whole kit 'n' caboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all.
[Entire Bridge Crew Laughs]

Or - It's "a whole new Star Trek". Either answer works.

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand.
Hmmmmm... Yeah... seems legit...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:11 AM   #4806
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I would strongly advise anyone who hasn't done so already to listen to Mission Log's podcast interview and roundtable with Bob Orci.

John and Ken discuss Into Darkness, the 2009 film, and the decisions made writing and making the film as well as the influence TOS, TNG, etc. had on the process. Highly informative stuff that might change your mind about some things.

The podcast can be found on Mission Log's website, Facebook page and on iTunes. It's just under 2 hours, but well worth the listen, especially for those of us so impassioned over Into Darkness (one way or the other.)
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:13 AM   #4807
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'm sure the device has to interface with a larger computer/control system in some manner. Perhaps it's meant to link with a 'normal' transporter.
Or, God forbid, in a motion picture it's a MacGuffin. Perish the thought!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:03 AM   #4808
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Not that it was needed, but it'd have been neat if transwarp beaming was mentioned having dangerous effects on humanoid tissue with prolonged use, like the folded-space transporter technology did. Then a possible reason for Khan being able to use it freely, would be due to him being immune to such effects thanks to his augmented Human DNA.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:22 PM   #4809
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I would strongly advise anyone who hasn't done so already to listen to Mission Log's podcast interview and roundtable with Bob Orci.

John and Ken discuss Into Darkness, the 2009 film, and the decisions made writing and making the film as well as the influence TOS, TNG, etc. had on the process. Highly informative stuff that might change your mind about some things.

The podcast can be found on Mission Log's website, Facebook page and on iTunes. It's just under 2 hours, but well worth the listen, especially for those of us so impassioned over Into Darkness (one way or the other.)
That was fascinating, thank you!

I like that their Khan placeholder character was codenamed "Robert April" - it explains a lot of the early rumours, as well as why Khan's weapon on Kronos was called "April's gun" in concept art.
Old September 21 2013, 06:06 PM   #4810
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I had forgotten all about April's gun.
Old September 22 2013, 02:49 PM   #4811
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Now that I have seen it on Blu-ray I think I can finally make a better assessment, and I give it an A. I'm not sure if I like it better than 2009 or not. Basically, it boils down to this:
  • Into Darkness was a stronger film overall. A strong message, stronger characterization, stronger emotional resonance and a more interesting story overall. Now that the characters are acquainted with each other, you see them actually relate to each other as a team, and as I've always said, THIS camaraderie is what makes Star Trek. Star Trek lies and stands on character interaction and this movie delivers in spades! The only character I wished they did more with was Chekov, but he was pretty decent too.
  • On the other hand, ironically enough, 2009 had more pew pew! I really wish we had more action in this movie, as I couldn't get enough of what we already had. Every action scene was exhilarating!

Huh, I guess I do like Into Darkness better overall. So there's that!

Other things I noted:
  • The death scene was surprisingly less of a direct lift from TWOK than I thought. The script flowed smoothly and naturally, and a person who had not watched TWOK would not feel anything was left out of place. Even Spock's scream felt natural, and definitely more warranted than Kirk's in TWOK.
  • Quinto and Pine seem to have great chemistry! I grew to really appreciate them as Spock and Kirk.
  • I'm loving the diverse Enterprise crew! It's almost like I could tell who's on the bridge by the end of the movie and the faces became very recognizable.
  • Man, the Enterprise is a beautiful ship in HD. I'm loving the shots we got in this outing, definitely more eye candy compared to before.
  • Carol Marcus is a much better character than I remembered. She's competent, confident and brave. I look forward to her being part of the main crew.
  • I love the emphasis of Starfleet as explorers. Although that's more of a TNG-era thing than TOS (especially the movies), it's something I always liked about Trek.
  • The Carol Marcus underwear scene is still totally unnecessary in my opinion, but it stood out much less than I remember. It didn't bother me too much.
  • Sadly the warp from Kronos to Earth seems to more obviously take just minutes than I remembered. This is fine, since I can come up with some headcanon, but the most obvious interpretation would be that the trip took mere minutes. Still not a dealbreaker.

All in all, a terrific viewing the second time, over an already amazing first viewing. Yeah, I think I can confidently place this as my second favourite Trek film of all. Due to admitted nostalgia lenses, nothing beats Wrath of Khan for me, but in time, this is close.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 03:32 PM   #4812
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Why on earth are people still saying "Earth to Kronos".

They even specifically point out in the film that there are in the Neutral Zone, lightyears from the planet. All the maps at Starfleet HQ show the Neutral Zone and Kronos' relative positions, and the planet is much deeper into Klingon space.

We don't know how long the Mudd ship was in warp flight there and back for.
Old September 22 2013, 04:09 PM   #4813
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

They even specifically point out in the film that there are in the Neutral Zone, lightyears from the planet. All the maps at Starfleet HQ show the Neutral Zone and Kronos' relative positions, and the planet is much deeper into Klingon space.

Hmm very good point. Could you give me a link to these maps? This could solve a lot more questions!
Old September 22 2013, 05:00 PM   #4814
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post

Hmm very good point. Could you give me a link to these maps? This could solve a lot more questions!
The events of the film between the Enterprise's take off and the battle next to the Moon take place within less than a day, Scotty says so. So whatever they did, they got from Earth to the Neutral Zone to Kronos and back to the Neutral Zone and back to Earth in 24 hours.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 05:44 PM   #4815
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post

The events of the film between the Enterprise's take off and the battle next to the Moon take place within less than a day, Scotty says so. So whatever they did, they got from Earth to the Neutral Zone to Kronos and back to the Neutral Zone and back to Earth in 24 hours.
I don't trust Scotty's word, but 24 hours is more than enough for me.