Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 16 2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: fan fiction ideas opinion

Sgt_G wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
Warp ten is infinite speed. How can anything be faster than that?
No, it's not. Take a look at the chart in the ST:TNG Tech Manual. It shows that to go Warp Ten requires infinite power. It even says "Power usage approaches infinity." How they read their own chart to later say that Warp Ten is infinite speed is beyond me.
So what you're saying is warp ten = infinite speed.

Old sources get overwritten all the time. The tech manual chart said one thing, the show went on to say something else.

Anyway, back to the fan fic, he could do what TNG did and rejig the warp scale to allow more factors below infinite. "Go to Warp 15" does sound more dramatic than "Go to Warp 9.99932" or whatever.

Last edited by Jono; September 16 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:39 PM   #17
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

i agree with you there, warp 15 it is, it will work better with amount of warp nacelles my ship has
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:55 PM   #18
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
surak-toc wrote: View Post
Zeta quadrant stories
Where did you plan on the Zeta Quadrant being located?

Since all four "Quads" of our galaxy have been named, how about the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy? It's one of the satellite galaxies of the Milky Way Galaxy. It's about 10,000 light-years in diameter, and is about 70,000 light-years from Earth, so it's no farther away than the far side of the Delta Quad.

captained by captain Jacob Moore, his first officer is commander J'onn v'erga a half Klingon, half Vulcan male.
Fan fiction lives and dies (imho) on the people who inhabit them, while the location and situation are important, the crews of the Starfleet ships, and the people who they encounter are even more important.

You need to flesh out your personnel.

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
USS Helix might be a Cardinal-class ship, but she wouldn't be the first of her class. USS Cardinal would be the first Cardinal-class, as the class is named after the first ship of that design.
While that is the norm, there have been exceptions in naval history. If multiple Cardinal ships were in simultaneous product, the Helix easily could have been the first commissioned.

A load of great valid information, for where the zeta quadrant is i think the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy is as good as any place for the zeta quadrant.

For me fleshing out my crew i have a little info on my captains history, he is an ex-red squad leader, ex- Starfleet academy tutor who taught Astro-navigation and stellar cartography, serving after his tutor days on the starship U.S.S midnight as its helmsman, then getting promoted to captain after 25 years to the cardinal class ship U.S.S helix.
info for the Vulcan/Klingon hybrid i can say that he is an genetic experiment combining the best qualities of two of the federations most interesting compadres, i sort of a amalgamation of worf and spock as it were.
Old September 16 2013, 06:18 PM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Warp ten is infinite speed. How can anything be faster than that?
i agree with you there, warp 15 it is, it will work better with amount of warp nacelles my ship has
Starfleet or whoever changed the warp scale sometime between the TOS era and the beginning of TNG, in the possible future of All Good Things the warp scale was changed (possibly) again to allow for a speed of warp 13.

A century after the Dominion War, sure warp fifteen plus, with the hero ship topping out at warp ten.

Change is good.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:14 PM   #20
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

oh yes, change is very good, i expect through the century there would be some major upgrades in the warp scale and warp related technology
Old September 17 2013, 12:40 AM   #21
Sgt_G
Lieutenant Commander

View Sgt_G's Twitter Profile

In my opinion, the person or people who came up with the "warp ten is infinity" suffered from a severe case of H.U.A. disease. I for one have -NEVER- bought into that line of background fluff. If you want to go to Warp Fifteen, I'm all for it. Just don't run into anything at those speeds!
Sgt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Tiberius
Commodore

I actually quite like the idea of infinite speed and how it allows you to be everywhere at once.

After all, if it takes you no time at all to go from Sydney Australia to New York, then you are indeed in both New York and Sydney at the same time.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

In "All Good Things" the warp scale had been reclassified, since the Pasteur could reach warp 13 (if memory serves), so in the 2470s a ship getting to warp 15 wouldn't be unbelievable.

Regarding the crew: why would you waste so much energy and computer memory for half the crew being holograms (also 'hard light holograms' isn't something Trek has had before, the EMH was able to switch from being solid to intangible at will)? A computer virus or a hacker could get into the system and easily take over half the crew and then the ship with little effort, plus if there was a loss of power then the complement would be halved in a time of crisis.

I also doubt that a Klingon/Vulcan hybrid would need much genetic experimentation when ovarial resequencing made it highly probable that a Klingon and Trill could have children together in 2374, so by the time of your series then it shouldn't be difficult.
Old September 17 2013, 07:09 PM   #24
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

so the hard light holograms were a bit to much, i shall change that to 25 EMH's, all of course programed to look different species and used in pretty much all different aspects of the ship, all other spaces are just regular crew space, then the Klingon/Vulcan hybrid then instead of it being an experiment then it just being a child that is not wanted either parents, an orphan who is from a Starfleet run orphanage, a place where the kids get trained to join Starfleet and to be worth the years of not being wanted, some growing up to become starship captains and such.

Last edited by surak-toc; September 17 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old September 18 2013, 12:46 AM   #25
Sgt_G
Lieutenant Commander

View Sgt_G's Twitter Profile

I'd rather have a clone crew or even an android crew instead of a holographic crew.
Sgt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 07:05 AM   #26
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

so the hard light holograms were a bit to much, i shall change that to 25 EMH's, all of course programed to look different species and used in pretty much all different aspects of the ship, all other spaces are just regular crew space, then the Klingon/Vulcan hybrid then instead of it being an experiment then it just being a child that is not wanted either parents, an orphan who is from a Starfleet run orphanage, a place where the kids get trained to join Starfleet and to be worth the years of not being wanted, some growing up to become starship captains and such.
So the entire medical staff are holograms? Again that seems a little far-fetched, but its your fanfic--if you can make it work then go for it. Also Starfleet wouldn't run an orphanage to train future officers/crewmen, that's what the Academy is for. I suspect there would be various Federation or planetary government (ie civilian) run facilities to care for children without parents, you could even have it as a charity or religious organisation orphanage. Then when the child reaches what is considered maturity for their species (since different lifespans means some will develop faster/slower than humans) they can decide for themselves if they want to enter Starfleet or not. Just my thoughts anyway.

Sgt_G wrote: View Post
I'd rather have a clone crew or even an android crew instead of a holographic crew.
I would have to agree on that point. Androids are independent from the ship therefore more likely to be of use in various situations, whilst a clone crew might drive you a little nuts they are all individuals who just happen to share the same faces.

The EMH was something new and different when VOY started but I got bored of him and wouldn't really be interested in the exploits of another holographic character.
Old September 18 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
whilst a clone crew might drive you a little nuts they are all individuals who just happen to share the same faces
Each of them could be the clone of a different person.

In the Star Wars animated series, the cloned soldiers (from Jango Fett) all looked at least slightly different from each other because they made a effort to. Hair styles, facial hair, slighter, heavier, muscular, tattoos, tanned, etc..

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Each of them could be the clone of a different person.

In the Star Wars animated series, the cloned soldiers (from Jango Fett) all looked at least slightly different from each other because they made a effort to. Hair styles, facial hair, slighter, heavier, muscular, tattoos, tanned, etc..

Unless they wanted to mess with your head and ensured they were all identical .

I do like how in Clone Wars the soldiers are made to be their own individuals with quirks and personalities. I therefore assume that the special order they are given is actually some kind of hypnotic suggestion/mental conditioning that was programmed into them--how else would they follow an order to exterminate the men and women who have been their leaders and teachers for years?

Anyways, I digress.
Old September 22 2013, 12:04 PM   #29
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

i shall have a couple of EMH from the same template, that being i think a mcCoy EMH, obviously i will have a ECH just in case, for the clone thing i reckon having part of the crew like that would work, that's where the hybrid thing would come to fruition, human clones injected with say andorion dna, a Klingon clone with some tellerite traits, that sort of thing for a diverse crew.
Old September 23 2013, 07:16 AM   #30
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

that's where the hybrid thing would come to fruition, human clones injected with say andorion dna, a Klingon clone with some tellerite traits, that sort of thing for a diverse crew.
That is sounding somewhat like genetic engineering which is illegal in the Federation.

I'd say if you want a diverse crew, then make it diverse. There are 150+ UFP members, of which we have only seen a small fraction, plus other aliens who'd be able to enter the Academy with backing from a senior Starfleet officer. Though not my favourite 'series' the Titan books do that well, with having a very diverse alien crew--most of which we've never seen before. Going that way would be more realistic and interesting than a Klingon with a porcine nose.

But that's just my thoughts.