Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 20 2013, 09:08 AM   #1
FreddyE
Commander

Novels with advertising?

Has anybody ever come across Trek novels that included advertising?

This happend to me only once and it was disgusting. It was a TNG Novel, where Data becomes human. In one chapter he uses the replicator to order soup. It went something like this:

Data ordered some hot soup from the replicator. - Interlude - While Data is getting something to eat, why not take a break and treat yourself to some nice hot 5-Minute Instant Soup (Insert your local brand of redicously overpriced instant garbage here)?

The advertising wasn´t a flyer or anything like that, it was printed in the regular font of the novel and inserted right into the text flow.

Thoughts?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Novels with advertising?

FreddyE wrote: View Post
I thought you meant the one-page ads for the Official Fan Club, or SF lit magazine subscriptions, or the novel backlist.

This happend to me only once and it was disgusting. It was a TNG Novel, where Data becomes human. In one chapter he uses the replicator to order soup. It went something like this:

Data ordered some hot soup from the replicator. - Interlude - While Data is getting something to eat, why not take a break and treat yourself to some nice hot 5-Minute Instant Soup (Insert your local brand of redicously overpriced instant garbage here)?
Sounds like a joke to me. I have read "Metamorphosis" twice, but a looooong time ago, and I can't say I remember such a scene.

It doesn't even sound like Jean Lorrah's sense of humour to me, although this novel did suffer through its problems with Richard Arnold - and I guess it's possible that it was an in-joke he didn't notice, and people forgot to remove... like the "R. Arnold" tombstone in a Peter David Comic Annual (DC Series I, #3).

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Soup

"When the Elysian 'gods' made Data fully Human in 2365, Doctor Katherine Pulaski suggested that Data make soup his first meal, as to avoid overloading his virginal digestive system. When Data finally had a chance to peruse the replicator's soup menu, he was astounded at the variety of soups that humanoids could recognize." (TNG novel: Metamorphosis)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
FreddyE
Commander

It was the german translation and it really looked like something put in by the editor of the german edition. And it was for a real product too.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral

It was the german translation and it really looked like something put in by the editor of the german edition.
Well, that would have been a helpful bit to add. It's tricky for Paramount, the Star Trek Officer and Viacom-now-CBS Products to scrutineer all manuscripts that aren't in English.
Old September 20 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

^ Yeah, they did that for a while.

But it's not like it is not easily identifiable as advertising:

Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

That's really weird. It had all those blacked-out lines like a classified memo?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's really weird. It had all those blacked-out lines like a classified memo?
Yep, took those pics of my copy of Metamorphosis just a couple minutes ago, and it certainly wasn't me who blacked out those lines.

Probably some kind of requirement for being allowed to do the ads. That way it is easily recognizable as not belonging to the actual novel.
Old September 20 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Sho
Fleet Captain

What a hilarious little artifact ... and it's so odd that they'd pick an android of all the characters to enjoy their soup product.

Maybe if it was Picard: "Computer, tea ... belay that, 5 Minuten Terrine, hot."
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Well it's a novel where he is transformed into a human, so it makes sense. It was done in some other novels as well. For example I remember for some odd reason that in one Uhura was the one eating (or craving?) the soup.
Old September 21 2013, 04:13 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

I've never seen anything like that in a novel before. Is/was this common in Germany?
Old September 21 2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Sho
Fleet Captain

I've never encountered that anywhere, at least. I doubt readers took kindly to it.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:30 AM   #12
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

With the ad, did they actually make it "flow" with the rest of the story though? Or did it feel like you were reading MacBeth and you got to one of the scenes with Hecate where the "flow" completely changed?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 07:01 AM   #13
Tiberius
Commodore

The advertising wasn´t a flyer or anything like that, it was printed in the regular font of the novel and inserted right into the text flow.

Thoughts?
I'd hardly call that an advertisement.

It's in Metamorphosis, page 153 at the bottom and going over to the next page. In all, it's four lines, describing thirteen varieties of soup. None of them are brand names.

You're reading WAY too much into it. Calm down and just read the book. And stop seeing conspiracies to sell you soup.

EDIT. Why didn't you say German version and provide the screenshots from the beginning? Although I note with interest that the paragraph sizes in the blacked out sections match perfectly with the paragraphs on the opposite page.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
EDIT. Why didn't you say German version and provide the screenshots from the beginning?
Well FreddyE was working from memory. It sounded like he didn't have the book handy. Defcon kindly supplied the bizarre ads.

Now that we've seen them we, too, can find them hard to believe.

I've seen clever ads in magazines that pretended to be articles, but these are... weird.
Old September 22 2013, 03:06 PM   #15
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

I remember Diane Duane telling me about a similar thing in the German edition of one of her TOS novels, where a Romulan Commander stops off to make soup in the middle of an exposition scene...
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote