RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,173
Posts: 5,435,431
Members: 24,943
Currently online: 524
Newest member: Chriss

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 22 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander
 
Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

Novels and "Rapture" aside, considering that Sisko's mission was to actually help bring Bajor into the Federation, would you liked to have actually see Bajor join the Federation at some point?

We've never actually seen a world join on-screen. We've had a couple of potential members in a couple of episodes and movies ("Journey to Babel", "Attached", "Insurrection"), but that's it.

Yes, you could argue that it wasn't a huge priority, with the Dominion War raging in the latter two seasons, but it would've been nice closure on this thing they'd supposedly been working towards from the beginning.

Plus it would've been neat to see Kira, Odo, and all the other members of the Bajoran militia trade in their uniforms for Starfleet ones.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Novels and "Rapture" aside, considering that Sisko's mission was to actually help bring Bajor into the Federation, would you liked to have actually see Bajor join the Federation at some point?

We've never actually seen a world join on-screen. We've had a couple of potential members in a couple of episodes and movies ("Journey to Babel", "Attached", "Insurrection"), but that's it.

Yes, you could argue that it wasn't a huge priority, with the Dominion War raging in the latter two seasons, but it would've been nice closure on this thing they'd supposedly been working towards from the beginning.

Plus it would've been neat to see Kira, Odo, and all the other members of the Bajoran militia trade in their uniforms for Starfleet ones.
With all the references to Bajoran culture and society and DS9's general interest in cultural diversity, it would have been nice to see some sort of grand celebration, either Bajor joining or the Emissary's wedding. However, it would have been out of place if it were to occur during the 9-episode arc. The finale makes celebration and heroism difficult to hold onto.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

Nah, I liked the note that DS9 ended on even if there were losses with Sisko. The hope for better things to come, even if nothing will ever be the same. Forcing a quick signing ceremony in there would've just distracted from that.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:11 AM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

Well perhaps one way to show it would be to have Kira in a Starfleet uniform at the end, you could have added one or two lines of dialouge to say Bajor had entered the UFP after deferring it from "rapture"
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:19 AM   #5
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

It would have been cool to see Bajor join the Federation but it wouldn't have made sense in the time frame of the show. It would have made more sense a few years after the show ended.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:29 AM   #6
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well perhaps one way to show it would be to have Kira in a Starfleet uniform at the end, you could have added one or two lines of dialouge to say Bajor had entered the UFP after deferring it from "rapture"
It's not like she wasn't in an SF uniform up to the last episode, just not as part of a Bajoran representation. (And she proved how great the FC uniform was.)
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well perhaps one way to show it would be to have Kira in a Starfleet uniform at the end, you could have added one or two lines of dialouge to say Bajor had entered the UFP after deferring it from "rapture"
That would've been awful, though. Biggest anticlimax in all of Trek, it would've been. (No offense.)

No, if Bajor were actually going to join the Federation, it would've had to have been a huge production. Think the Worf-Dax Wedding, but times 100. (Waaaaayy bigger than what they showed us in Rapture. Bleh.)

If they hadn't diverted to the Klingons during season 4, and had moved the timeline of the war up by one year (so that the invasion began at the end of season 4 and the war ended at the end of season 6), then we could've had a (probably much better) season 7 focused on the aftermath.

(For you BBC/PBS fans, look at series six of Foyle's War, which focused on life in England after the end of the war in Europe, for a model.)

In that case, season 7 could've ended with the entry of Bajor into the Federation with a big celebration, worthy of a series finale. This would bring the show full circle, since it was Sisko's assignment in "Emissary" to bring Bajor into the Federation.

But I actually prefer, overall, the story we got. I think it's thematically consistent that the future of Bajor is left ambiguous. DS9 was big on all that ambiguity stuff.

Indeed, in the novelverse, Bajor enters the Federation about 9 months after the end of the war, whereas in the STO timeline, Bajor doesn't join until 2393! And I've seen fanfics that present plausible futures in which Bajor never joins the Federation. And all of those possibilities are consistent with what DS9 showed.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
If they hadn't diverted to the Klingons during season 4, and had moved the timeline of the war up by one year (so that the invasion began at the end of season 4 and the war ended at the end of season 6), then we could've had a (probably much better) season 7 focused on the aftermath.

(For you BBC/PBS fans, look at series six of Foyle's War, which focused on life in England after the end of the war in Europe, for a model.)

In that case, season 7 could've ended with the entry of Bajor into the Federation with a big celebration, worthy of a series finale. This would bring the show full circle, since it was Sisko's assignment in "Emissary" to bring Bajor into the Federation.
Very cool idea. That would've been the best way to have done Bajor's entry into the Federation. Ending (if he hadn't gone MIA in the Fire Caves) with Sisko now a one-star Admiral and Kira a Captain in Starfleet.

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Indeed, in the novelverse, Bajor enters the Federation about 9 months after the end of the war, whereas in the STO timeline, Bajor doesn't join until 2393! And I've seen fanfics that present plausible futures in which Bajor never joins the Federation. And all of those possibilities are consistent with what DS9 showed.
That makes no sense, good thing I don't play STO then . In my own personal continuity, I have it that Bajor became a member of the Federation on January 1st 2377, a little over a year after the war ended and they had played a key role in the aftermath of the war.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
If they hadn't diverted to the Klingons during season 4, and had moved the timeline of the war up by one year (so that the invasion began at the end of season 4 and the war ended at the end of season 6), then we could've had a (probably much better) season 7 focused on the aftermath.

(For you BBC/PBS fans, look at series six of Foyle's War, which focused on life in England after the end of the war in Europe, for a model.)

In that case, season 7 could've ended with the entry of Bajor into the Federation with a big celebration, worthy of a series finale. This would bring the show full circle, since it was Sisko's assignment in "Emissary" to bring Bajor into the Federation.
Very cool idea. That would've been the best way to have done Bajor's entry into the Federation. Ending (if he hadn't gone MIA in the Fire Caves) with Sisko now a one-star Admiral and Kira a Captain in Starfleet.
If I'm not mistaken, the Dominion War ended up filling up whatever time was available. Didn't they originally intend to wrap it up in four episode--Call to Arms and a Season six three-parter--that grew into a six episode arc that didn't even finish off the war? OTOH, not having to deal with Jadzia's death/Ezri's arrival might have given more flexibility with the Emissary narrative in the last season to have Sisko lead the Bajorans back toward admittance in a manner consistent with Rapture.

ETA: It might be that Kira's journey simply ended up standing in for Bajor's journey: she ends up being the example for the Cardassian resistance, she ends up at the final moment of the Founder's surrender, she is left in charge of the station.

Last edited by Bad Thoughts; September 25 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander
 
TheGoodStuff's Avatar
 
Location: Scotland
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
It would have been cool to see Bajor join the Federation but it wouldn't have made sense in the time frame of the show. It would have made more sense a few years after the show ended.
This is exactly how I feel. I would LOVE to see Bajor join and see all the associated rules, regulations, pomp and celebrations surrounding it. However....not in DS9. Not in that timeframe.

I always thought this would be a great addition to the 'next' Trek. A nice focus on Bajor officially joining and continuing to recover from the Occupation and Dominion War.
__________________
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

As I said, I think it's good they didn't show it to us. Whatever they did show would be time crunched, compressed and disappointing. Ending on the note of though things have changed, there's a bright future for the Federation and Bajor was perfect.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

I would have wanted to see it. It was pretty much what they were working towards from the pilot episode on. I don't think it would have been forced. I just think season 7 could have been rearranged a little bit to make room for it at the end.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral
 
Jon-o'-lantern's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

I would have liked to see it, but fitting it in would be a problem without adjusting the last season. In the final episode it would have been nice in the final part where Kira is running about to have her or maybe Quark mention something about the process of membership getting back under way with the war over.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Navaros
Commodore
 
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

No, I would not have liked to have seen Bajor join the Federation.

I like things the way they stand - with the Bajoran storyline shafted in its incompleteness - because it underscores that the Dominion storyline was a much better use of screen-time, and hints that the Bajoran storyline was a mis-step.

The way to make WYLB better in this regard would not be to show Bajor joining the Federation. Rather, it would be to have Prophet Sisko go back in time and use his mystical powers of temporal manipulation to erase the entire Bajoran storyline out of the series.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:44 AM   #15
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Would you have liked to actually SEE Bajor join the Federation?

I think it would have been nice if they alluded to it in the finale, as that was already crowded with other things that needed to be tied up. Like maybe Nog mentioning Bajor's entrance as something Sisko would have liked to see along with Nog's promotion to Lt. JG.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.