RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,359
Posts: 5,446,079
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 443
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 21 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Skywalker wrote: View Post
NX was the designation used for experimental starships in the Federation Starfleet. Earth's Starfleet obviously followed different rules.
Eh.... I think they just screwed it up.

Kind of like 1701-B, C, D, & E.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvn & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Shane Houston
Commander
 
Shane Houston's Avatar
 
Location: Louisville Kentucky - Halliwell
View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

This is something that always bothered me too in the beginning of Enterprise, but I got used to it. It annoys me more in later work in the novels. For example in DGRIII's Serpents Among The Ruins and Allegiance In Exile, he did the same thing, referring to the E-B and the 1701 as Enterprise compared to saying "the" Enterprise. It took me out of the story for a few seconds.
__________________
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 09:17 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?
Because people aren't ships?
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Khan 2.0
Captain
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 10:31 PM   #21
Kevman7987
Commander
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Sometimes, the lack of the article "the" before Enterprise just felt wrong. When the characters said just "Enterprise" they didn't always say it in a smooth fashion, like they were consciously having to concentrate to not say "the."

As long as their manner of speech didn't make the lack of "the" awkward and noticeable, it works fine.
__________________
"Don't do it, Meat!"
"Don't do it, Cheese!"
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

The problem is, the original show got it wrong and the later shows corrected it, but we got so used to the wrong version that the right version sounds wrong to us.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 11:46 PM   #23
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

^ Just as "To go boldly" sounds incorrect, when it's not.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:06 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

MikeS wrote: View Post
^ Just as "To go boldly" sounds incorrect, when it's not.
Actually "to boldly go" is perfectly correct as well. So-called "split" infinitives were a standard part of English usage for centuries before the prescriptivists of the 18th century made up an imaginary rule that banned them because of a nonsensical desire to pretend that English was a Romance language. Like the so-called rules against ending sentences in prepositions or using "they" as a singular pronoun, it's an arbitrary, artificial standard of "good grammar" that's actually very bad linguistics.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:10 AM   #25
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?
Because people aren't ships?
So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:21 AM   #26
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Christopher wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
^ Just as "To go boldly" sounds incorrect, when it's not.
Actually "to boldly go" is perfectly correct as well. So-called "split" infinitives were a standard part of English usage for centuries before the prescriptivists of the 18th century made up an imaginary rule that banned them because of a nonsensical desire to pretend that English was a Romance language. Like the so-called rules against ending sentences in prepositions or using "they" as a singular pronoun, it's an arbitrary, artificial standard of "good grammar" that's actually very bad linguistics.
Very interesting. Thank-you.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:46 AM   #27
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?
Because people aren't ships?
So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Is it hard for you to grasp that many will address ships differently than people?
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 12:50 AM   #28
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?
Because people aren't ships?
So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Actually there are some cities, towns, and locations that start with "the", i.e. The Hague.


Personally, I was fine with calling it just "Enterprise", as a simple way of distinguishing it from the other shows, just as I liked that the title didn't include the words "Star Trek" for the first two seasons.

And for the record, if you recall the movies, Reliant and Excelsior were referred to as such without the "the" just as often as they weren't.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:01 AM   #29
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Because people aren't ships?
So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Actually there are some cities, towns, and locations that start with "the", i.e. The Hague.
Sounds more like a local thing.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:14 AM   #30
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Because people aren't ships?
So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Is it hard for you to grasp that many will address ships differently than people?
It's hard for me to grasp the idea that people will randomly change the rules of language when referring to ships but not people, places, or other things. Is there something special about ships, particularly named Enterprise, that makes it hard to not say "the" when referring to it by name?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.