Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

View Poll Results: What's your first impression of iOS 7? (public poll)
Big improvement 7 25.93%
Small improvement 5 18.52%
Six of one... 9 33.33%
Step in the wrong direction 4 14.81%
Disaster 1 3.70%
Haven't used, or need more time to decide 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Captrek
Rear Admiral

iOS 7

First impressions of the new iOS?

Personally I'm finding it less attractive and less intuitive than its predecessor. I miss Steve.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Metryq
Captain

Re: iOS 7

I like it. Dumping skeuomorphic design was a good idea. Some interface designers were already leaning that way. For example, some video switcher software tries to look like a real control surface, with the shading and lighting effects of those plastic buttons. That compromises the legibility. Blackmagic Design's software interface, for example, is very clean and looks much like iOS 7.

The swipe upward control center is a plus—I like it better than the Home button double-tap. I'm still learning the new gestures and features. The "zooming" effects might be a bit too spectacular—zipping in an out of apps and folders. Wear a seatbelt.
Old September 21 2013, 12:38 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

Eh, aside from a few design aspects that I don't like (namely the color scheme for text messaging), it's fine. I don't really notice a huge difference in the way that it works.
Old September 21 2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I like it, I've already got the hang of most of it on my iphone and ipod, looks and performs better than 6 to me.
Old September 21 2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I voted Step in Right Direction. While I like a majority of it, there are several changes I genuinely hate. The biggest is the change in the calendar, which I use a lot.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:16 AM   #6
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I like iOS7 a lot. Love the no-frills design.
Old September 21 2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The app icons are mostly terrible, and the control center/quick settings menu feels like they never quite got around to polishing it up. It is overall a massive improvement visually though. Some of the transition animations could do with being about 30-50% faster. They look nice, but they add a slightly frustrating delay when you're hopping back and forth between various apps and screens quickly.

My iPhone isn't a daily driver though, just a hand-me down I mostly just use in my music dock.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I keep bringing up the Control Center accidentally. I'm used to being able to scroll with that motion.
Old September 21 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Warped9
Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
I keep bringing up the Control Center accidentally. I'm used to being able to scroll with that motion.
That keeps happening on my iPad and it's annoying.
Old September 21 2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Overall pretty meh. Its slow (on my iPhone4 and even on my iPad 3), I liked the double tap of the home button to bring up multi-tasking, plus a number of other things annoy me about it.
Old September 22 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
That keeps happening on my iPad and it's annoying.
Fortunately, I expect that problem to go away with experience. I just have to get used to starting the scrolling motion from the middle of the screen and not the bottom.

Bisz wrote: View Post
I liked the double tap of the home button to bring up multi-tasking
That still works, doesn't it? It looks different, but the app-switching functionality is still there.
Old September 22 2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Yes, it is. The difference is, when you do that double-tap, the apps appear as windows on the screen itself, rather than as icons at the bottom of it. You can swipe among different apps (or swipe UP to quit).
Old September 25 2013, 05:56 PM   #13
StolenThunder
Poster

Looks better. Sometimes seems a little less responsive. I think it's alright. iOS6 was one of the things that prevented me buying an iPhone (I have an iPod and an iPad).
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 10:36 PM   #14
B.J.
Rear Admiral

This doesn't affect me (Android user), but I was wondering what you guys thought of this (received in an email from NASA):

Subject: Apple iOS 7 Lockscreen Bypass Vulnerability

What is Happening: A vulnerability in Apple's recently released iOS 7 has been discovered allowing an unauthorized user to bypass the "lockscreen" security feature and gain limited access to a mobile device (iPhones and iPads) and their camera, photo gallery, and other applications which may be accessible from the iOS multitasking menu.

By default, iOS 7 allows its "Control Center" feature to be accessible from the lockscreen. By exploiting this feature's functions, an unauthorized user with physical access to the mobile device may be able to gain access to the device. Additional reports of similar vulnerabilities utilizing the "Siri" and "Emergency Call" features have also been found.

What Should You Do?
ACES has not yet deployed iOS 7 to agency iPhones and iPads. If any ACES or Non-ACES end-users have self-installed iOS7 on their mobile devices, they need to be aware of this vulnerability. At this time, there is not a “fix” ACES is able to push remotely.
All Users are reminded to exercise caution and maintain physical control over their devices at all times.

The following steps can be taken if end-users, with a device running iOS 7, wish to disable some of the affected settings:

Control Center:
1. Open ‘Settings’
2. Tap ‘Control Center’
3. Set ‘Access on Lock Screen’ to Off

Siri (when utilizing a passcode)
1. Open ‘Settings’
2. Tap ‘General’
3. Tap ‘Passcode Lock’
4. Set ‘Siri’ under ‘Allow Access When Locked’ to Off
Old September 26 2013, 04:56 AM   #15
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

I only have an iPhone 4 so I'm sticking with iOS 6 because of the performance issues. For the most part, I've already been enjoying many of the new benefits thanks to jailbreak tweaks.