Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2013, 09:08 PM   #676
publiusr
Commodore

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Then there was the German film Different from the Others, which is far ahead of its time.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:15 PM   #677
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I saw Night The World Exploded a while ago and remember being impressed with the woman scientist (and not just because her name was "Hutch"). For the 50s, she was pretty liberated and, as I recall, the men on the team treated her as indispensable-- and not because she made good coffee, but because she was a good scientist.
Yeah, but it was still taken for granted that she'd have to give up her career when she got married, and implied that the main reason she stayed in her science work was because she was in love with the main scientist. And they still put her in the traditional damsel-in-distress role more than once. And she did spend a lot of time making coffee.

Really, there are a lot of "liberated lady scientist" characters like her in '50s sci-fi movies, because it was deemed obligatory to get a romantic interest into the story somehow, even if it was a story about a scientific expedition or a pioneering spaceflight. There are similar characters in movies like It Came from Beneath the Sea, Tarantula, and others.
Well, I did say "for the 50s." However-- and it's been a while since I actually saw it-- I seem to remember that her motivation to be a scientist was the science itself; and that she didn't intend to give up her career, but that she had given up on the clueless hunk and had found another guy.
Old September 15 2013, 10:21 PM   #678
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Funny thing. I read somewhere that the Weissmuller movies inspired some libraries to pull Burrough's books because Tarzan and Jane were living in sin--even though they were legally married in the books!
Old September 15 2013, 10:25 PM   #679
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
However-- and it's been a while since I actually saw it-- I seem to remember that her motivation to be a scientist was the science itself;
To a degree, perhaps; but the implication that she was really there out of love was certainly there nonetheless, since it was pretty much obligatory.

and that she didn't intend to give up her career, but that she had given up on the clueless hunk and had found another guy.
No, the two went hand in hand -- getting married meant giving up her career and becoming a full-time housewife. That was a given at the time. When they called her back in to return to work as the crisis grew, it entailed postponing her wedding plans.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 08:08 PM   #680
Christopher
Writer

Against my better judgment, I watched Valley of the Dragons. Despite being nominally based on a Jules Verne novel, it's just a run-of-the-mill giant-lizards-and-cavebabes movie, largely made of stock footage from One Million BC and similar movies -- even with a few clips from Rodan stuck in! Just about all the action involves cutting away from the actors to stock footage or showing the actors in front of a rear-projection screen showing stock footage. Really, really cheap filmmaking, which culminates in an overlong volcanic-eruption sequence that degenerates to the point of just being lengthy shots of fake lava flowing past the camera while an audio loop of rumbles, roars, and screams suggests something more exciting going on where the camera isn't pointing. Well, intercut with disturbing shots of lizards on burning miniature sets -- I doubt the animal action was monitored by anybody -- and a few random shots of Rodan flying around.

Still, it does have a couple of cute cavebabes, and there's a romantic swimming sequence which has some surprisingly racy shots, since the lead actress's swimming double (whose hair is visibly shorter) is wearing a fairly loose top and there are some rather revealing angles that I'm surprised they could get away with in a 1961 movie.

It has a weird opening, too. Not only do the opening credits twice say that it's based on Career of a Comet by Jules Verne, but the film opens with a narrator talking about Jules Verne and all the great stories he wrote, including Career of a Comet, which began in such-and-such, etc. It's weird to see a movie opening by saying "This is a story someone told, and it starts like this." Maybe they were overcompensating, given that it's not really a Jules Verne film at all. It borrows the Verne novel's setup of people being swept away on a comet, but only as a flimsy excuse to set up a prehistoric movie. And it gives one of its main characters the name of the novel's lead, but that's about it. Virtually nothing past the first reel has anything to do with Verne. So really it's false advertising.

Old September 21 2013, 11:15 PM   #681
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Virtually nothing past the first reel has anything to do with Verne. So really it's false advertising.
Not as bad as The Haunted Palace, which takes its title from an Edgar Allan Poe poem, and was sold as yet another Poe movie starring Vincent Price, despite being actually based on "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by H.P. Lovecraft!

The sole Poe connection consists of Price reciting bits of the poem over the opening credits!
Old September 21 2013, 11:37 PM   #682
Christopher
Writer

^Hm, and critics complained that World War Z had nothing to do with the book...

Old September 22 2013, 12:40 AM   #683
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^Hm, and critics complained that World War Z had nothing to do with the book...
Don't get me started on The Conqueror Worm, where they literally tacked a Poe title onto an unrelated British horror film originally titled Witchfinder General--and pulled the same trick of having Price read the Poe poem over the opening credits to justify the title change!

Even still, "Edgar Allan Poe's THE HAUNTED PALACE" (based on a story by H. P. Lovecraft) is hard to top.

Although, I suppose, there's also BLADE RUNNER, which took the title of a completely unrelated novel by Alan Nourse and slapped it onto a movie version of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Imagine if World War Z had actually turned out to be an adaptation of a completely different zombie book!

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 22 2013 at 02:35 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 01:40 AM   #684
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Then there was the TV series of Total Recall, which had more in common with the movie Blade Runner than either the movie version of Total Recall or the book.
Old September 22 2013, 01:53 AM   #685
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Then there was the TV series of Total Recall, which had more in common with the movie Blade Runner than either the movie version of Total Recall or the book.
I remember reading the script for that and thinking the same thing. Never actually saw the show.
Old September 22 2013, 02:27 AM   #686
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Although, I suppose, there's also BLADE RUNNER, which took the title of a completely unrelated novel by Alan Nourse and slapped it into a movie version of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Yeah, I still don't get why they did that. The term "blade runner" doesn't even fit Deckard's job, since it's not like he uses a blade.

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think Total Recall 2070 was meant to be based on both movies, and Dick's ouvre in general. True, it was definitely closer to Blade Runner, but TR was the more recent, higher-profile movie.

Old September 22 2013, 02:45 AM   #687
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

And just to bring it around full circle, Total Recall was retitled from "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 02:53 AM   #688
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
And just to bring it around full circle, Total Recall was retitled from "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale".
Which clearly needs to be the title of a movie based on another book!
Old September 22 2013, 03:11 AM   #689
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ah, yeah, I upset the pattern didn't I since Total Recall wasn't the title of some other work.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 08:14 AM   #690
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Although, I suppose, there's also BLADE RUNNER, which took the title of a completely unrelated novel by Alan Nourse and slapped it into a movie version of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Yeah, I still don't get why they did that. The term "blade runner" doesn't even fit Deckard's job, since it's not like he uses a blade.
I need to look up "The Bladerunner" one of these days. My mother used to babysit for Alan Nourse way back when.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote