Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 21 2013, 07:08 AM   #16
OpenMaw
Commander

Re: nuTrek timeline?

If he opened his mouth and the words came out i'd say it's canon. Though it's all ultimately make believe anyway.

I don't think the comics really fit into the continuity of these two films for the simple fact that a lot of stuff happened in all of the comics that is basically squished down into a year. A lot of crew also died in various missions. Including Gary Mitchell.

As far as the films are concerned they seem to be fairly isolated into their own continuity.
Old September 21 2013, 07:38 AM   #17
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
If he opened his mouth and the words came out i'd say it's canon. Though it's all ultimately make believe anyway.

I don't think the comics really fit into the continuity of these two films for the simple fact that a lot of stuff happened in all of the comics that is basically squished down into a year. A lot of crew also died in various missions. Including Gary Mitchell.

As far as the films are concerned they seem to be fairly isolated into their own continuity.
Just to make it clear, I didn't say it wasn't canon. I was just asking if most people couldn't understand it (or for that matter something else said onscreen) would that have made it soft canon.

As far as why you don't think the comics fit into the continuity of the two films, I don't think that much is squished into the time period between the two films. It's not like 50-100 issues worth of events are trying to be forced into the space of less than a year. Plus, a lot of the events in the comics took place over the course of two issues making things even less cramped. Of course, I'm biased and I admit it. You have the right to your opinion. I disagree with it and I'm willing to discuss and debate it if you wish to continue. If not, that's fine. I'm more than willing to agree to disagree.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 09:54 AM   #18
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Ketrick wrote: View Post
How were you able to make that out?
I just watched Kirk's mouth and focused on his voice to tune out Pike's interruption. I can't promise you it's accurate, but that's my perception of the dialogue.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:00 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

One of the more recent and infamous screw-up the comics made was the STID follow-up After Darkness which claims to be a week after STID's main story, even though the final scene of the movie is a year later.
Old September 21 2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Tosk wrote: View Post
How were you able to make that out?
I just watched Kirk's mouth and focused on his voice to tune out Pike's interruption. I can't promise you it's accurate, but that's my perception of the dialogue.
Well, you're not the only one who I've read on this forum say they heard that so if what you heard isn't accurate, you're at least not alone.
Old September 21 2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Just to make it clear, I didn't say it wasn't canon. I was just asking if most people couldn't understand it (or for that matter something else said onscreen) would that have made it soft canon.
I think you're confusing "canon" with "continuity."
Old September 21 2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think you're confusing "canon" with "continuity."
I'm referencing something I once read. I read somewhere (I think on Memory Alpha, but perhaps not since I haven't been able to find it) that Mike Sussman referred to what is legible on the display of Captain Archer's and Lieutenant Sato's personal files in "In A Mirror, Darkly, Part II" as "soft canon". I'm just using that concept to ask my question.
Old September 21 2013, 10:23 PM   #23
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I'm referencing something I once read. I read somewhere (I think on Memory Alpha, but perhaps not since I haven't been able to find it) that Mike Sussman referred to what is legible on the display of Captain Archer's and Lieutenant Sato's personal files in "In A Mirror, Darkly, Part II" as "soft canon". I'm just using that concept to ask my question.
In that case, I think Mike Sussman was confusing canon with continuity.
Old September 22 2013, 02:10 AM   #24
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sussman's "soft canon" thing was more related to the fact that those files had information that would be contradicted in TATV which wasn't known to him when he wrote those up. Most obviously, TATV claims Shran faked his death so he could live a quiet life with his family while the file claims Shran became a general and made Archer an honorary officer in the Andorian Imperial Guard.

"Soft canon" was nothing more than an after the fact rationalization, not a classification of material's canonical value.