Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 20 2013, 10:33 PM   #46
Flake
Commodore

Re: how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

TBH every Trek writer I think of now wrote some real bad stuff so perhaps its for the best. I would like K & O to 'clean up their act' when it comes to sciencey stuff though! It wouldn't hurt would it.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:39 PM   #47
Flake
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I feel ok with them coming back but I think they could use some help from a writer who wrote for TNG or DS9 with a more scientific background? Or someone from TNG/DS9 who simply knows how to write a Trek story that can remain within the boundaries of established Treknology & Trek tech issues and inconsistencies.

I realise they are pretty trivial details to think about but my brain being full of random Trek shit does not help me out when I notice annoying things during the movie that others may be oblivious to! It takes me several viewings to ignore myself

I just feel like Kurtzman and Orci can't write good sci-fi but they can write excellent set pieces and great character dialogue & development. They just lack one piece of the puzzle imho and that might be addressed with an old-time Trek writer or perhaps run a script draft past the old writing team or something. They could provide invaluable insight and tidy the script up to the point that we have nothing to complain about in here!
Except, they aren't doing TNG Era Trek, they are doing TOS Era Trek, so, anything in TNG Era Trek (Like Utopia and Picard's speechifying before firing) that isn't in TOS, is not appropriate for the movies currently being made. Section 31 wasn't a problem, because, even though it wasn't invented until DS9, it was said to have always been there. Even Janeway in Voyager spoke of Kirk, Spock and Sulu's era being more "Cowboy" and they would all be drummed out of Starfleet's TNG era more diplomatic style.
I realise we are not seeing TNG now, I do not have any issue with the portrayal of the characters in the reboot. I think they are doing a great job in that regard. I don't want utopia or Picard speeches.

TNG did have similar rules to TOS about the technology and its limits and it did respect science and the laws of physics mostly (haha!) and its writers worked within those limits week in week out, so they might provide a 'buffer' to prevent K&O ideas such as Transwarp beaming being used as a plot device.

Like I said, it is trivial details ultimately! I think they will deliver an enjoyable film again regardless.
Old September 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #48
BlueMetroid
Lieutenant

View BlueMetroid's Twitter Profile

I'm very excited about their return for ST3. They've done an incredible job so far. Trek is in good hands!
BlueMetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:41 PM   #49
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

While ID's "cold fusion" and STXI's galaxy-destroying supernovae are terrible science, I don't much like the idea of scripts with [TECH] paceholders, where Mike Okuda (or whoever) would come along and add random combinations of...
Old September 20 2013, 10:52 PM   #50
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post

TNG did have similar rules to TOS about the technology and its limits and it did respect science and the laws of physics mostly (haha!) and its writers worked within those limits week in week out, so they might provide a 'buffer' to prevent K&O ideas such as Transwarp beaming being used as a plot device.

Like I said, it is trivial details ultimately! I think they will deliver an enjoyable film again regardless.
Did they? I think like with a lot Trek the science and tech bowed to the needs of the plot. There really were no limits. Or as Scott might say "I canna change the laws of physics" and then proceeds to do so.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #51
Flake
Commodore

Ugh, I don't know. Some aspects of STID do not sit right with me and did mess up my initial viewings before I realised its not worth obsessing over them.. but it would be great if they cleaned the science & trek tech up a bit. Thats all. I can manage though if they are unable to do so.

I realise that a great scene on paper is not going to be binned because of some science hiccup and it has always been that way.
Old September 20 2013, 11:13 PM   #52
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

I love TNG, it and DS9 are tied for my favorite of the TV shows, and Picard is my favorite captain. However, TNG had a habit of coming up with some techno-babble that may or may not have made sense, but would conveniently let them resolve an issue in the last 5-10 minutes of an episode. I don't know if I want to see that in the films.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:35 AM   #53
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, it comes down to a choice between

"Crap Science" they don't bother to explain being the propellant into the plot

or

"Crap Science" they pretend to explain with Techno-Babble resolving the plot and saving the day?

I'm fine with the way it is for the Movies, we already accept Warp Drive and Transporters. No need to waste movie screen time on pretending to explain it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:46 AM   #54
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Khan444 wrote: View Post
I love TNG, it and DS9 are tied for my favorite of the TV shows, and Picard is my favorite captain. However, TNG had a habit of coming up with some techno-babble that may or may not have made sense, but would conveniently let them resolve an issue in the last 5-10 minutes of an episode. I don't know if I want to see that in the films.
You mean like Khan superblood?
Old September 21 2013, 12:49 AM   #55
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Yanks wrote: View Post
Khan444 wrote: View Post
You mean like Khan superblood?
Since they introduced the blood in the first twenty-minutes of the film, I'm not sure it's the same thing.
Old September 21 2013, 12:51 AM   #56
dub
Fleet Captain

I want to see a prequel where we learn that the real reason for Khan's strength and miracle blood is an unusually high midichlorian count.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:52 AM   #57
Ln X
Fleet Captain

dub wrote: View Post
I want to see a prequel where we learn that the real reason for Kahn's strength is an unusually high midichlorian count.
Khan a Sith lord... I like that!

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:50 AM   #58
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I want to see a prequel where we learn that the real reason for Khan's strength and miracle blood is an unusually high midichlorian count.
I was wondering, what are midi-chlorians?
Old September 21 2013, 02:06 AM   #59
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I was wondering, what are midi-chlorians?
They're microorganisms in your blood that provide affinity to the Force. The higher your midichlorian count, the stronger you are in the Force.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 02:09 AM   #60
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ComicGuy89 wrote: View Post
They're microorganisms in your blood that provide affinity to the Force. The higher your midichlorian count, the stronger you are in the Force.
Or:

A lame explanation for something that never needed to be explained.