Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 19 2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Kirk & Marcus - Next Film Thoughts?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I imagine the Spock/Uhura romance in JJTrek is far more a nod to hints in early TOS of a romance between Spock and Uhura, then it is a nod to the forced kiss in Plato's Step-Children
It definitely IS.
Orci said that it also fit with this Spock's arc because, in his words, "boys marry their mothers and his mother was human". I think it's a nod to Sarek/Amanda too.
I don't have that quote to copy and paste here but he said once that they were trying to harmonize with canon as in tos the first interracial kiss was Kirk/Uhura while in the reboot the first interracial kiss and couple is Spock/Uhura instead.
In the 60s the K/U kiss even if forced was groundbreaking and has became iconic because of the time where it happened. Nowadays the same thing wouldn't have the same effect. You need an actual interracial romance if you want to be progressive and they have made one with.. SPOCK
Compared to that, a romance with characters like Kirk is a given. It surely can't be such a shock or that unpredictable (and wouldn't gain a parody made by the Simpson )

Tbh, if I were to make a reboot of a franchise like star trek, star wars and anything of similar genre and I wanted to add a bit of romance, I think that my own choice would be to have one between a human and an alien instead of one between two humans. If you have an universe with different worlds and races, where is the fun in having only human characters and human relationships? None, it's Nicholas Sparks in space.
Furthermore, if you need to keep the romance part subtle, then a character like Spock surely helps because his alieness creates a perfect excuse to not make him a too sappy man and not have too many romantic scenes. You can have the cake and eat it too, basically.
Old September 20 2013, 11:05 PM   #32
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

I HATE the idea of killing off Carol to further Kirk's story. "Lets fridge the female love interest, even if she interesting in her own right, to cause the main male character angst." That's SO ORIGINAL.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:29 PM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Khan444 wrote: View Post
I HATE the idea of killing off Carol to further Kirk's story. "Lets fridge the female love interest, even if she interesting in her own right, to cause the main male character angst." That's SO ORIGINAL.
Since Kirk was filled with character angst in TOS, I don't have a problem with it and if we get there by offing someone he cares about... oh well.
Old September 20 2013, 11:46 PM   #34
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

THAT would be lazy and contrived, and a rehash of the original timeline (David anyone).
Old September 21 2013, 12:14 AM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

THAT would be lazy and contrived, and a rehash of the original timeline (David anyone).
Kirk's character angst from TOS wasn't driven by David's death.

Besides, like any other idea, it will all be in the execution.
Old September 21 2013, 01:01 AM   #36
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Hopefully they'll avoid Kirk/Carol, if we saw Carol in her undies in STID then I shudder to think what they will show in the next film.

On a different note everyone here is saying this is a trilogy and thus the third film is the last JJ universe film. Personally I don't think we should set our sights on a trilogy. If the third film does as well as the other two then we're going to get a fourth film and perhaps even a fifth. Heck, the third film could even be the beginnings of a proper trilogy. They could shoot a back-to-back trilogy over a one year period if they're feeling really ambitious.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:05 AM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
Hopefully they'll avoid Kirk/Carol, if we saw Carol in her undies in STID then I shudder to think what they will show in the next film.
They're PG-13 movies. A girl in her underwear is about as risque as they're going to get.
Old September 21 2013, 01:05 AM   #38
SeerSGB
Admiral

On a different note everyone here is saying this is a trilogy and thus the third film is the last JJ universe film. Personally I don't think we should set our sights on a trilogy. If the third film does as well as the other two then we're going to get a fourth film and perhaps even a fifth. Heck, the third film could even be the beginnings of a proper trilogy. They could shoot a back-to-back trilogy over a one year period if they're feeling really ambitious.
Really? Carol in her bra and panties was that horrifying for you? As for STIII, how dare they show adults in a sexual relationship--I mean, I shudder at the horror of the thought.

As for films past three: If they can keep it entertaining, I say bring it on.

BillJ wrote: View Post
They're PG-13 movies. A girl in her underwear is about as risque as they're going to get.
Which is a shame. I'd be interested in a balls-to-the-walls R rated Trek movie with a good, controversial script, that just took the franchise beyond where it's been in terms of the type of story the writers were willing to risk.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:09 AM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Really? Carol in her bra and panties was that horrifying for you? As for STIII, how dare they show adults in a sexual relationship--I mean, I shudder at the horror of the thought.
Won't someone please think of the children!

I had a pic but I can't connect to Photobucket for some reason.
Old September 21 2013, 01:10 AM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

Which is a shame. I'd be interested in a balls-to-the-walls R rated Trek movie with a good, controversial script, that just took the franchise beyond where it's been in terms of the type of story the writers were willing to risk.
I'm not sure it's the writers. CBS and Paramount simply will never go in that direction with Trek.
Old September 21 2013, 01:32 AM   #41
geneo
Lieutenant

As for films past three: If they can keep it entertaining, I say bring it on.

But with an R rating, you are limiting your audience and losing the "family oriented entertainment" quality. Entertainment for the entire family.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:41 AM   #42
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, Carol in her underwear was so horrible. Its not like Star Trek has EVER had scantily clad women (and men) or Kirk being a ladies man before.
Old September 21 2013, 02:12 AM   #43
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

geneo wrote: View Post

But with an R rating, you are limiting your audience and losing the "family oriented entertainment" quality.
And it's not likely to happen any time soon, so climb back down off the "family entertainment" soapbox, if you would. You've more than made your position clear on that point already.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 02:39 AM   #44
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

especially since they just killed off NuKirk's surrogate father figure Pike and had NuKirk actually die. I mean how much more agnst does the poor guy need.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:08 AM   #45
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I wouldn't mind if they went the romance route, but if they do, I expect it to be subtle and in the background.

nuTrek is already a love story between Kirk and Spock.

I do like Malaika's idea of someone (not necessarily Kirk) falling for someone really alien--and I don't mean in the Harry Kim kind of way.