TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 20 2013, 07:47 AM   #466
TheSubCommander
Captain

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

I could go for a series about Young Picard as Captain of the Stargazer, in the Abramsverse. Maybe start him out as a junior officer, and each season is about how he progresses closer to the Big Chair, similar to how the Horatio Hornblower miniseries was.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:31 PM   #467
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^I would like to see the Picard maneuver in HD but not in the Abramsverse. Picard would be a 20-something year old Captain.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:25 PM   #468
anh165
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
oddsigve wrote: View Post
When watching DS9(for the second time) I found that there was way to little exploration of the gamma quadrant.
Well in the first two seasons they were going through regularly and meeting aliens of the week over there. Bajor even had colonies on the other side. When you encounter a huge planetary empire that shoots on sight, that does hinder exploration a bit.
What a daft excuse.

The writers could have written in exploration adventures, and allowed the protagonists to resort to logic, problem solving, team work and reasoning to save the day - but I guess DS9 was a flawed concept considering it was some uninspiring space station doing sod-all in deep space. TPTB decided to create smoke and mirrors that was the dominion war and throwing in a millenium falcon rip off to appease the dominant 14 year old male demographic.
Old September 20 2013, 06:17 PM   #469
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^I would like to see the Picard maneuver in HD but not in the Abramsverse. Picard would be a 20-something year old Captain.

You guys kill me. He was a "twenty-something" when he took command of the Stargazer.
Old September 20 2013, 06:25 PM   #470
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^Well, late 20's. He joined the Stargazer crew at 28 to be exact but I was referring (badly) to the switch to the Enterprise D. I'm sure he'll still be in his 20's.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:34 PM   #471
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Big difference in putting a 3rd year cadet and someone who had at least five or six years of experience into the captain's chair.
Old September 20 2013, 06:36 PM   #472
BillJ
Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
I could go for a series about Young Picard as Captain of the Stargazer, in the Abramsverse. Maybe start him out as a junior officer, and each season is about how he progresses closer to the Big Chair, similar to how the Horatio Hornblower miniseries was.
^Well, late 20's. He joined the Stargazer crew at 28 to be exact but I was referring (badly) to the switch to the Enterprise D. I'm sure he'll still be in his 20's.
The post you responded to mentions a young Picard in command of the Stargazer. That, a Kirk and Spock show or an animated series are about the only ideas I care about for bringing Trek back to TV.
Old September 21 2013, 12:37 AM   #473
Beyerstein
Captain

entertainment weekly says "hardcore Star Trek fans are retroactively deciding that maybe this whole reboot thing was never a good idea"

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/19/st...ess-jj-abrams/
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:55 AM   #474
BillJ
Admiral

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
entertainment weekly says "hardcore Star Trek fans are retroactively deciding that maybe this whole reboot thing was never a good idea"

Nice of them to speak for me without asking.
Old September 21 2013, 01:06 AM   #475
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Nice of them to speak for me without asking.
Exactly. Ginning up a controversy by suggesting that all us fans are in a tizzy makes a better story than admitting that there's actually a wide range of opinions on the subject.

Do I need to tell my New York Post story again? Very well . . .

A few months back, when the new movie opened, I was contacted by a reporter from the New York Post who was doing on a story on how all us old-school supposedly hated the reboot. I spent over thirty minutes on the phone explaining to him that this was hardly the case, but he didn't want to hear it; he told me upfront that his editor had already pretty much dictated the slant of the article.

When I refused to play along and give him the quote he wanted, he asked me to point him toward another Trek author who would be willing to speak out against the reboot. Again, I declined to cooperate.

Sure enough, when the article saw print a few days later, the gist of it was that (surprise!) old-school Trekkies don't like the reboot! And the only quote they used from me was the part where I grudgingly conceded that some fans had issues with nuTrek . . . .

So, yeah, take this sort of media coverage of the "backlash" with a huge grain of salt.
Old September 21 2013, 04:47 AM   #476
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Yeh but Picard in the Prime Universe is no Horatio Hornblower. He's the consumate diplomat and ruthless defender of the Prime Directive.
To be Hornblower or have a similar rise to captain I think he would need to be affected by the Prime Universe - a slightly different captain to the man we all know and love IMO.
If that were the case somehow seeing a young badass Picard withh Jack and Beverley Crusher (before kid) appeals to me.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 05:17 AM   #477
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Big difference in putting a 3rd year cadet and someone who had at least five or six years of experience into the captain's chair.
The key part is "twenty something" not the comparative experience of Kirk and Picard at the same age.
Old September 21 2013, 12:16 PM   #478
TheSubCommander
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The post you responded to mentions a young Picard in command of the Stargazer. That, a Kirk and Spock show or an animated series are about the only ideas I care about for bringing Trek back to TV.
That is so "GRRRR! Get OFF my lawn!"

Not to single you out or beat you up on this, but I never understood people who reject other incarnations of Trek, and only accept Kirk and crew from TOS as the one, true, only Trek, complaining that the following crews weren't the original characters but were pale imitations of them, but immediately glommed onto the Abrams reboot. Sure, it may be Kirk, Spock, Uhura, et al, but their characters are quite different than the original portrayals in TOS. The way they are portrayed, it might as well be a different crew altogether, really.

As to Trek returning to the small screen, you do realize that if Trek ever did return to TV in a live action format, and you want to limit it to Kirk and Crew, it would require yet another reboot, don't you?

And the likelihood of an animated or CGI Trek on the small screen is about as likely to happen as raining cats! Except for maybe the reboot movies, kids of today have zero exposure to Star Trek, and to them those 2 movies are just another summer blockbuster movie. They wouldn't care about a Trek cartoon.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Yeh but Picard in the Prime Universe is no Horatio Hornblower. He's the consumate diplomat and ruthless defender of the Prime Directive.
To be Hornblower or have a similar rise to captain I think he would need to be affected by the Prime Universe - a slightly different captain to the man we all know and love IMO.
If that were the case somehow seeing a young badass Picard withh Jack and Beverley Crusher (before kid) appeals to me.
I would be down with Picard in the prime universe too!

What I was referring to was the format and pace at which each season, and Picard's career, would take place VS the Hornblower miniseries, with reference to Picard's rise to the captaincy. Another example of pacing of Picard's career could be how the Tutors did it, where each season depicted a different stage (and marriage) of Henry VIII's life. Does that make sense now?

I was not necessarily comparing Picard to Hornblower, per se, because that is who Kirk is actually analogous to. However, I always thought of TNG era Picard as what Kirk would have been more like, had there been a Star Trek Phase 2, and I also think Picard was more Kirk-like, in his younger days.

I don't know about anyone else here, but since the episode Tapestry, I always thought it might be interesting to see Picard as a younger man, and as a junior officer, and to see how he rose to the rank of captain.

Last edited by TheSubCommander; September 21 2013 at 12:35 PM.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:52 AM   #479
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I could be wrong, but I don't think that would be a Qapla'. It would not be the same with a Picard not played by Stewart and I think the reason why you want a show like that is because you miss Patrick.

I for one are a bit tired of all these shows that goes back in time to enable the usage of younger "edgier" cast. I want the good old stuff back with mature and reasonable characters.
oddsigve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 10:08 AM   #480
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Another article that cites the 100 fan poll in Las Vegas (from 15,000+ attendees) as authoritative proof of ID's failure? Knowing now what utter tripe gets made into fact, I'll never trust the news again.