Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old September 19 2013, 01:17 PM   #571
Warped9
Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

I wonder if we're so used to so much poor spelling online that a lot could be missed I print.
Old September 19 2013, 04:48 PM   #572
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

My apologies to the cover designer, since I implied there wasn't one. It's all a matter of taste, and I TRY to go through life not snarky.

Cover design was an area I didn't have money for (though I did license the pic I used), so I copied/imitated other covers like a fiend. After reading lots about it too.

Old September 19 2013, 05:30 PM   #573
Harvey
Admiral

Well, the cover design is a mix of awful graphic elements (the TV at the bottom left) and typical ones (the starfield). I would have just gone with the starfield myself. It's not inspired, but at least it doesn't look unprofessional.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 19 2013, 05:58 PM   #574
bbailey861
Admiral

I didn't mind the cover design at all. I did mind all the typos.
Old September 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #575
Warped9
Admiral

The real problem with the cover is it doesn't grab you. You could walk right past it on display and if you didn't know what you were looking for you'd never see it.
Old September 19 2013, 06:31 PM   #576
Harvey
Admiral

To be fair, that's a problem with a lot of unlicensed books about Star Trek (especially academic books, although this is not one of those).

Given the money they raised, though, you'd think they could have either (a) commissioned a more grabbing cover design or (b) licensed a photo from the series. I mean, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story just has an image of the Enterprise on the front, but that is infinitely more grabbing (and specific) than this. Then again, perhaps licensing a photo like that for the cover would still be cost-prohibitive. I really don't know.

Old September 19 2013, 06:47 PM   #577
Warped9
Admiral

At the risk of blowing my own horn I think I could easily have come up with something more attention getting and aesthetically appealing.
Old September 19 2013, 07:46 PM   #578
Green Shirt
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
At the risk of blowing my own horn I think I could easily have come up with something more attention getting and aesthetically appealing.
If you did it might somehow end up on the cover of the next volume.
Old September 19 2013, 11:32 PM   #579
plynch
Commodore

When I licensed my cover photo (a very famous photo of Louis Armstrong, once used on the cover of Life), it was $400 for a print run of a thousand. When I informed the very helpful agent at the rights agency I was POD and didn't know how many I would "print," he said if I went over a thousand to call and we'd work out another pay. (I told him I'd like nothing better than to have to call him, since that would indicate nice sales.)

A photo from Trek for as many books as this might be moving, might be pretty costly. Some books are gonna sell because of the cover, to browsers. Others are going to sell to fans who HAVE to have it regardless of cover. the author might have gambled well on this issue (cover cost). I'd still want a better one because it was my product with my name on it. I wish I could figure out how to post my cover here. I am pretty proud of it.
Old September 19 2013, 11:37 PM   #580
Harvey
Admiral

It can be seen pretty easily by clicking on your signature. It's very simple, but effective.

It also doesn't have as much noise at the Cushman cover -- which jams a beyond the grave endorsement from Roddenberry and Justman, his name, his co-writer, the authors of the book's forward, and the TOS: Season One subtitle all together, along with the book's title, which takes up nearly half of the cover.

Old September 19 2013, 11:38 PM   #581
Harvey
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I might have to take you up on that horn-blowing sometime.

The header on my blog could certainly use a little more pizzaz...

Old September 20 2013, 03:33 AM   #582
plynch
Commodore

Harvey, thanks for the compliment.

I too use blogger, and I found you can create a banner-sized graphic in another program; or use a long photo and write text on it in an editing program . . . Then import said graphic and use as your banner title.

Yours does the job, actually, and you're not going to drive or lose "sales" based on your header. Here is the photo-imported version of a Blogger header at my blog of encouragement for educators, http://upteach.blogspot.com

Be well!
Old September 20 2013, 07:03 PM   #583
davejames
Vice Admiral

Thought it was cool seeing just how much of a difference Roddenberry made to the Space Seed script. After so many chapters devoted to Gene Coon and the magic he was working on the show, it was nice to see Roddenberry prove he still had some good ideas in him as well.

I just love his offhand suggestion that, instead of being common criminals who got shipped off to a penal colony, these people could maybe be dangerous, superhuman tyrants who had ruled much of the Earth. And it wasn't until his final script polish that the name Khan was used, or (according to Justman) that it became the great, streamlined classic it is today.

And I never really thought of it before, but it's clear that with episodes like this, Charlie X, and Balance of Terror that TOS did bottle episodes better than probably any other Trek series. In fact most of the time they don't even feel like bottle episodes (which you definitely can't say about many TNG eps).
Old September 20 2013, 07:37 PM   #584
Forbin
Admiral

What, better then A Night in Sickbay? Surely not!
Old September 27 2013, 12:24 AM   #585
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Walter Koenig just tweeted, "@GineokwKoenig
Volume One - "These are the Voyages" (Marc Cushman) now has a special discount price. It's a terrific read for all ST fans. Volume Two with an intro by me will be available (with new cover art for Volume One) in time for Christmas. I guarantee you'll love these works!"

https://twitter.com/GineokwKoenig/st...69640040095745
https://twitter.com/GineokwKoenig/st...70425431900161

Neil
Closed Thread