IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 19 2013, 04:36 PM   #31
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Where'd This Phase II Cutaway Come From...?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I just don't get the "detour" of the power line near the photon torpedo launcher, I thought there'd be enough space between the launch tubes.
A couple of thoughts:

- That space is probably needed for access/maintenance of the the torpedo launch machinery.

- Probably a Bad Idea(tm) to put your main power conduit to the primary hull right between two of the most potentially dangerous items in the ship. If there were a premature detonation (even a partial yield) of a torp in one of the tubes, you're screwed.
Old September 19 2013, 06:28 PM   #32
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Another thing to keep in mind is that the horizontal intermix shaft passes behind the center line turbo-lift shaft, which suggests (to me) that the artist is also going by an early concept sketch by Probert (I think) which shows two power feeds running along the space there and meeting just below the torpedo bay at the base of a vertical dorsal power shaft?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Shaw
Commodore

Also, in Phase II those aren't torpedo tubes, that was the phaser assembly. That feature was modified into the torpedo tubes for TMP.

In Phase II phasers acted like both beams and energy packets (like in Balance of Terror). The feature was added to give a physical location on the miniature for the effects people to work with as this was an issue during TOS (where the Enterprise miniature had no physical weapons visible). One of the biggest shortcomings I've seen with people attempting to complete the Phase II design is attempts to add features that Taylor and Probert came up with for TMP.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:57 PM   #34
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

So nobody has been able to verify its authenticity? It is astonishingly clean and detailed.

My vote is fake, however. It doesn't appear to have a bowling alley.
Old September 19 2013, 09:54 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

^We covered this already. It's been verified as a fan creation:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=133267

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Shaw wrote: View Post
Also, in Phase II those aren't torpedo tubes, that was the phaser assembly. That feature was modified into the torpedo tubes for TMP.

In Phase II phasers acted like both beams and energy packets (like in Balance of Terror). The feature was added to give a physical location on the miniature for the effects people to work with as this was an issue during TOS (where the Enterprise miniature had no physical weapons visible). One of the biggest shortcomings I've seen with people attempting to complete the Phase II design is attempts to add features that Taylor and Probert came up with for TMP.
True...so a true-to-Jefferies Phase II ship should have no TMP style phaser blisters.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:04 AM   #37
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Shaw wrote: View Post
The Matt Jefferies sketch featuring this section does indeed suggest this.

At least we know how MJ envisioned what the phaser emitters should look like and they got these right on the TMP Enterprise, just not the actual location.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 03:26 PM   #38
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Fascinating, I'd never realized those were going to be phasers. Love the guy EVA'ing in the image you linked, Bob.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:13 PM   #39
drt
Commander

I wonder if the TMP bit about "increasing phaser power by channeling it through the main engines" was a left-over artifact of the idea that the phasers would be relocated to that site?
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:44 PM   #40
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

^^ Good point! Also, isn't it the general consensus that the "blister" on the bottom of the "sensor dome" of the TOS ship was originally intended to be a weapons turret?

Perhaps the only reason MJ added phaser blisters to different locations in his TMoST diagram was because the SPFX guys screwed up?

Fortunately, dialogue in various episodes supports multiple phaser/torpedo placements, so everything is covered.

Last edited by TIN_MAN; September 20 2013 at 06:46 PM.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 12:13 AM   #41
Robert Comsol
Commodore

drt wrote: View Post
I wonder if the TMP bit about "increasing phaser power by channeling it through the main engines" was a left-over artifact of the idea that the phasers would be relocated to that site?
That would really help me trying to make more sense out of this statement.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:23 AM   #42
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Y'know, in hindsight that "channeling power from the warp engines" makes me wonder - just where did the power come from in TOS?

I suppose maybe in the refit it was directly from the warp engines, whereas in TOS it would have made its way through the power distribution system and gradually maybe waste some energy along the way?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old September 21 2013, 01:38 AM   #43
Christopher
Writer

^Well, the warp reactor powered the actual warp drive. Other ship power probably came from fusion reactors.

Old September 21 2013, 01:48 AM   #44
Praetor
Vice Admiral

...which is kind of interesting. Modern Trek seems to imply almost all the power comes from the warp reactor.
Old September 21 2013, 04:07 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Well, I don't know for sure. That seems to be the way they do it in TNG -- we know the impulse drive is fusion-powered -- but I don't know what the intent was in TOS.

I mean, I don't think TMP was saying that phaser power was coming from the warp engines for the first time -- what they said was that the new design "increases phaser power by channelling it through the main engines." Channeling through is different from drawing from -- it implies that the mains are used as a booster rather than the original source. Or that the same power circuits are used for both, perhaps because they channel power more efficiently.

Now, the problematical thing is that the intermix chamber as shown in TMP has no visible connections to anything except the impulse engine and the warp nacelles -- plus whatever's at the bottom of the vertical shaft, which is evidently the matter and antimatter supplies. Other than that, it's just an unconnected tube. So where is this channeling of power taking place? I suppose it could be somewhere up in the saucer, since that's where the main phaser banks are, but what about the phasers on the engineering hull?

But the lack of connections does suggest that other ship systems -- like the deflector dish, say -- are powered independently.