Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 20 2013, 02:02 PM   #31
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

Re: how do people feel about robert orci and Kurtzmen returning?

i was referring to websites such as trek movie and jammers reviews where the fourms have been overwelmed by jj haters writing negative coments about the movie.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:07 PM   #32
starburst
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

A couple requests?

- Throw some techobabble in there that eliminates the stupid Khan superblood thing.

- Same for the brief-case sized transwarp thingy...
Please no, I dont think theres a need to explain it out.. just move on and forget about it (both the writers and audience) in the same way the Producers of Stargate forgot that a 3rd shot from a Zat gun disintegrates once they decided it was silly.

- End Spock/Uhura, please just end it.
I liked some of the Spock/Uhura relationship, and there are many fans of it, so instead of end it just dont play into it as pivotal points of the story... simply show them talking off duty in the rec room or something.

- Oh, and an origional story would be nice.

Thank you.
Yes agree with you here, I would rather have my top Starfleet agent gone rogue to actually be that, I didnt mind Khan in the end but it took the second watch to get over it (worst kept secret in Hollywood) and find it funny they out him on the back of the DVD cases instead of letting people who dont know watch the film and experience the twist (beyond daftness right there... yes I am talking to you Paramount!)

tmosler wrote: View Post
I am suprised at all the positive coments for the movie. Its nice to know that theres one place on the internet that hasnt been tooken over by new trek haters.
Give it time, Im sure they are on their way...
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Yanks
Fleet Captain

i was referring to websites such as trek movie and jammers reviews where the fourms have been overwelmed by jj haters writing negative coments about the movie.
You don't have to be a JJ or nutrek hater to be displeased/frustrated with portions of STID.
Old September 20 2013, 02:42 PM   #34
Yanks
Fleet Captain

starburst wrote: View Post

A couple requests?

- Throw some techobabble in there that eliminates the stupid Khan superblood thing.

- Same for the brief-case sized transwarp thingy...
Please no, I dont think theres a need to explain it out.. just move on and forget about it (both the writers and audience) in the same way the Producers of Stargate forgot that a 3rd shot from a Zat gun disintegrates once they decided it was silly.
It's been such a throrn, that I think it needs something to put it to bed. "Just move on" I thought was OK for after the frist one.

- End Spock/Uhura, please just end it.
I liked some of the Spock/Uhura relationship, and there are many fans of it, so instead of end it just dont play into it as pivotal points of the story... simply show them talking off duty in the rec room or something.
I would be OK with that, but they've made such a spectical of it I doubt they will just let it go to the background.

- Oh, and an origional story would be nice.

Thank you.
Yes agree with you here, I would rather have my top Starfleet agent gone rogue to actually be that, I didnt mind Khan in the end but it took the second watch to get over it (worst kept secret in Hollywood) and find it funny they out him on the back of the DVD cases instead of letting people who dont know watch the film and experience the twist (beyond daftness right there... yes I am talking to you Paramount!)
It's so frustrating they went to all that trouble to give themselves a clean slate in ST09 and then didn't have the courage to use it.
Old September 20 2013, 02:58 PM   #35
Ln X
Fleet Captain

You don't have to be a JJ or nutrek hater to be displeased/frustrated with portions of STID.
Well said.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 03:13 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

starburst wrote: View Post
Yea, I hate when DVD Producers do that. Babylon 5 Season 2, the picture on the cover ruins the Delenn Twist, and if you were lucky enough not to notice that, the Opening credits of the first couple episodes on TV used the S1 picture, but, the DVD opening credits using the S2 picture for the entire season, including the episodes before the twist. I watched it live in first run, so, no problem for me, but, it's a bummer for folks viewing it on DVD for the first time

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 03:14 PM   #37
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I think they have the feel right and the characters are as close as they're gonna get without going back in time and getting the original actors. But, like some others, I would LOVE it if they would lean away from fan service and homage and more toward originality. And stop going to Old Spock for answers.

Otherwise, bring it on.
Old September 20 2013, 03:25 PM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
.... And stop going to Old Spock for answers.
I think that's part of why Prime Spock was in this one, to give a non-answer answer. After ST'09, many brought up the fact that Spock Prime should be spilling his guts, helping them to prevent every major thing that his Enterprisesaved the Galaxy from. By bringing in Spock Prime in STiD and having him be almost no help at all, it answered that question, and showed he's not going to spill everything he knows, so, now it's been addressed and can be moved beyond. If he hadn't been brought in, Fans would be screaming about why he wasn't brought in to be asked about Khan

Old September 20 2013, 03:50 PM   #39
Gojira
Commodore

These guys are doing a great job...no problems!
Old September 20 2013, 04:30 PM   #40
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Looking foward to them coming back to give us a third film.
Old September 20 2013, 05:07 PM   #41
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
.... And stop going to Old Spock for answers.
I think that's part of why Prime Spock was in this one, to give a non-answer answer. After ST'09, many brought up the fact that Spock Prime should be spilling his guts, helping them to prevent every major thing that his Enterprisesaved the Galaxy from. By bringing in Spock Prime in STiD and having him be almost no help at all, it answered that question, and showed he's not going to spill everything he knows, so, now it's been addressed and can be moved beyond. If he hadn't been brought in, Fans would be screaming about why he wasn't brought in to be asked about Khan
Well, let's just hope that he spilled his guts about the stuff that probably can't be avoided (like the Doomsday Machine and Whale Probe). Otherwise he's condemning tons of people to die in the former case, and potentially dooming Earth in the latter (he has no way to know if they can hijack a Klingon BoP and use it to travel back in time to pick up some whales).
Old September 20 2013, 06:13 PM   #42
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

That's a problem with internet comment threads generally, though, and is not in any way peculiar to Trek sites. If one prefers to avoid negative comments, it's best just to skip the comment threads.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:20 PM   #43
Flake
Commodore

I feel ok with them coming back but I think they could use some help from a writer who wrote for TNG or DS9 with a more scientific background? Or someone from TNG/DS9 who simply knows how to write a Trek story that can remain within the boundaries of established Treknology & Trek tech issues and inconsistencies.

I realise they are pretty trivial details to think about but my brain being full of random Trek shit does not help me out when I notice annoying things during the movie that others may be oblivious to! It takes me several viewings to ignore myself

I just feel like Kurtzman and Orci can't write good sci-fi but they can write excellent set pieces and great character dialogue & development. They just lack one piece of the puzzle imho and that might be addressed with an old-time Trek writer or perhaps run a script draft past the old writing team or something. They could provide invaluable insight and tidy the script up to the point that we have nothing to complain about in here!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 10:24 PM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post

I just feel like Kurtzman and Orci can't write good sci-fi but they can write excellent set pieces and great character dialogue & development. They just lack one piece of the puzzle imho and that might be addressed with an old-time Trek writer or perhaps run a script draft past the old writing team or something. They could provide invaluable insight and tidy the script up to the point that we have nothing to complain about in here!
The only TV writers I'd let near the new productions would be Roddenberry (circa 1966) or Gene L. Coon. Since they're currently unavailable, I'll stick with Orci and Kurtzman.
Old September 20 2013, 10:32 PM   #45
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
I feel ok with them coming back but I think they could use some help from a writer who wrote for TNG or DS9 with a more scientific background? Or someone from TNG/DS9 who simply knows how to write a Trek story that can remain within the boundaries of established Treknology & Trek tech issues and inconsistencies.

I realise they are pretty trivial details to think about but my brain being full of random Trek shit does not help me out when I notice annoying things during the movie that others may be oblivious to! It takes me several viewings to ignore myself

Except, they aren't doing TNG Era Trek, they are doing TOS Era Trek, so, anything in TNG Era Trek (Like Utopia and Picard's speechifying before firing) that isn't in TOS, is not appropriate for the movies currently being made. Section 31 wasn't a problem, because, even though it wasn't invented until DS9, it was said to have always been there. Even Janeway in Voyager spoke of Kirk, Spock and Sulu's era being more "Cowboy" and they would all be drummed out of Starfleet's TNG era more diplomatic style.