TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 18 2013, 10:14 PM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Season 3

The biggest weakness of Real Life is... that's such an emotional and moving moment for the Doctor that defines his psyche and changes him forever.... so naturally it's never mentioned again.
Old September 19 2013, 02:17 PM   #32
KaraBear
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
The biggest weakness of Real Life is... that's such an emotional and moving moment for the Doctor that defines his psyche and changes him forever.... so naturally it's never mentioned again.
I don't think it's someting that NEEDS to be specifically brought up again..."hey doc, how's that dead daughter of yours"

but it was maintained more in his behavior after that point. It was something that shaped his personality and outlook and that is what stayed wit him for the rest of the show
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:14 PM   #33
teya
Vice Admiral

How did it shape him? He didn't grieve with his family. He didn't follow-up with his son or wife. It's like "OK, I got through the death of the daughter, so that's all I need to know. I'm done."

It doesn't work that way in real life.
Old September 19 2013, 08:44 PM   #34
KaraBear
Captain

teya wrote: View Post
How did it shape him? He didn't grieve with his family. He didn't follow-up with his son or wife. It's like "OK, I got through the death of the daughter, so that's all I need to know. I'm done."

everyone handles death differently. but it did affect his personality from that point, he seemed a little more patient. He might not have been seen grieving with his holographic family, but that doesn't mean he didn't grieve in his own way
Old September 19 2013, 09:10 PM   #35
Yanks
Fleet Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
... but I don't even want to mention Stormfront).

The best thing about S3 was ditching the Kazon. And it gave us Season 4.
Hey, Stormfront was the best "German" episode in all of Trek.

...and I completely agree about losing the treeheads. Star Trek's worst "villains".
Old September 19 2013, 09:37 PM   #36
dub
Fleet Captain

La la la (*covers eyes*)...I've just finished "Unity." I'm not reading the comments above. But I will say I thought "Unity" was good and I'd love to see more like this. It would be neat if the Cooperative somehow turned into a new kind of Borg enemy, or if they became enemies of the Borg who come back in a later season in a surprise to help the VOY crew defeat the Borg in a critical episode. What I'd really like to see is the origin of the Borg. That would (potentially) be interesting.

I must have been in a funny mood early this morning when I watched the episode though. When Riley touched her face and asked Chakotay if he felt it, I immediately thought it would be funny if he touched his chest and said, "did you feel that?" Also when I watched "Blood Fever" I thought it would have been funny if the Doctor (a.k.a. the Pimp in this episode) -- when he went back to the holodeck, he found Vorik wearing nothing but a lei, sweating and smoking a cigarette saying "Doctor, you're a genius."
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:13 AM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

KaraBear wrote: View Post

everyone handles death differently. but it did affect his personality from that point, he seemed a little more patient. He might not have been seen grieving with his holographic family, but that doesn't mean he didn't grieve in his own way
At the very least it gave him an insight into emotional pain.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:02 AM   #38
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

dub wrote: View Post
La la la (*covers eyes*)...I've just finished "Unity." I'm not reading the comments above. But I will say I thought "Unity" was good and I'd love to see more like this. It would be neat if the Cooperative somehow turned into a new kind of Borg enemy, or if they became enemies of the Borg who come back in a later season in a surprise to help the VOY crew defeat the Borg in a critical episode. What I'd really like to see is the origin of the Borg. That would (potentially) be interesting.
What I loved about this episode is that it suggests that the Borg can be a social and cultural group that is independent of specific political goals (radical assimilation). I like the idea that there are different kinds of Borg: a diversity, which flies in the face of the Borg as cultural (and political and technological) assimilators.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:45 PM   #39
KaraBear
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post

exactly!
Old September 20 2013, 04:41 PM   #40
teya
Vice Admiral

exactly!
I thought it showed us his innate self-centeredness. It wasn't about the familial loss for him. It wasn't about "how can I support my wife and son?"

It was about how it affected him and only him.

And in that, there was certainly continuity.
Old September 20 2013, 04:51 PM   #41
KaraBear
Captain

exactly!
I thought it showed us his innate self-centeredness. It wasn't about the familial loss for him. It wasn't about "how can I support my wife and son?"

It was about how it affected him and only him.

And in that, there was certainly continuity.
but it was only a loss for him, the others were just holograms and he knew that.

I've lost people very close to me, and when that happened my first thougths were not oh how can I support my family, but my first thoughts were of my own grief over the loss. Once I dealt with my own feelings I could be supportive to other people. Maybe that makes me a selfish A-hole, but everyone deals with loss their own way.
Old September 20 2013, 05:04 PM   #42
teya
Vice Admiral

But the Doc's whole schtick was about how holograms were just like people.

As for your extrapolation to insinuate that I'm calling you a "selfish A-hole"...

I'm not. I am describing my impression of the episode and what it showed me about the Doctor. It's not personal.

I'm an oddity. While I think Picardo did an awesome job, I simply didn't *like* the Doctor. He was a great character, but not a likeable one IMO. Which is fine in my book because the unlikeable characters are usually more interesting.
Old September 20 2013, 05:15 PM   #43
KaraBear
Captain

As for your extrapolation to insinuate that I'm calling you a "selfish A-hole"...

I'm not. I am describing my impression of the episode and what it showed me about the Doctor. It's not personal.

I'm an oddity. While I think Picardo did an awesome job, I simply didn't *like* the Doctor. He was a great character, but not a likeable one IMO. Which is fine in my book because the unlikeable characters are usually more interesting.
yeah, and PEOPLE deal with grief in their own way, some turn inward some cling to others. I wouldn't call anyone selfish for however they grieve. If they need to take care of themselves first I don't think that makes them selfish

Edit: the unlikeableness of the doctor...while I did like him, wasn't he supposed to be unlikeable? isn't that why starfleet trashed his line?
Old September 20 2013, 05:24 PM   #44
teya
Vice Admiral

yeah, and PEOPLE deal with grief in their own way, some turn inward some cling to others. I wouldn't call anyone selfish for however they grieve. If they need to take care of themselves first I don't think that makes them selfish
He *never* (that we saw) took care of the rest of his family. The program was over once he played out the scenario & did his own grieving. He didn't take it the rest of the way, that yes, all of us people eventually, one way or another, get around to. We turn to each other. We take care of each other.
Old September 20 2013, 05:50 PM   #45
KaraBear
Captain

He *never* (that we saw) took care of the rest of his family. The program was over once he played out the scenario & did his own grieving. He didn't take it the rest of the way, that yes, all of us people eventually, one way or another, get around to. We turn to each other. We take care of each other.
well considering that the episode ends with the Doc in a very tight hug with his wife and son, I assume they did take care of each other, even though it wasn't specifically spelled out for us