Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 17 2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Re: Fallen Star - Episode 1 (it's not Star Trek, but it's close)

Thanks old bean, what-what, tally-ho!

----------

I spoke to my fellow partner-in-crime... uhh... co-producer the other day about the prospect of more episodes.

Yes, more episodes! Like... whoah!

Well, we hadn't really discussed it for a while. To be honest, I wanted to do more than one when we first started, but as the project took nearly 2 years, the appeal waned by the end of it.

I will say, though, that he is "open to the idea", although we both agreed that we need a well-deserved break for the time being. Like, maybe even years.

That said, I do have some stories in mind and I would certainly like to bring them to the small screen if I can, so we'll see if any of them inspire us enough to make it happen. We'd also have to talk to the cast about the possibility of reprising their roles, which they may not necessarily want.

So, we're not ruling anything out. We may well do some more episode(s) in future. We just can't promise anything.

-----

Incidentally, I've now put the bloopers on YouTube. There's quite a lot of them, at 25 minutes long! Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...D4B2146C2A405F (EDIT: maybe not work-safe; contains mild swearing and nudity.)

I found these funnier than the film, but maybe that's just me.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

And here is a short video showing what the dialogue sounded like before and after we dubbed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whFLGN1IGG4

The dubbing process was done on a line-by-line basis. Our actors would listen to a piece of dialogue a few times to get a feel for the timing, then repeat it into the microphone. Once all the dialogue was recorded, I would then spend a considerable amount of time matching the timing precisely to the original. The lip-synching was achieved not by matching the sound to the picture, but by matching the sound to the sound. Piece-by-piece, I lined up the new dialogue with the original (one audio feed in each ear), stretching or squashing it accordingly, until they matched.

For a 53 minute film, that's quite a bit of work.
Old December 24 2010, 05:11 PM   #18
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I've not yet watched your film, but I wanted to let you know that I will do so this weekend, and that I look forward to it!
I finally watched Fallen Star nearly one month after I said I would.

It was fun! I'll have to check out the extras soon.

Keep up the good work!
Old February 18 2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
I spoke to my fellow partner-in-crime... uhh... co-producer the other day about the prospect of more episodes.

Yes, more episodes! Like... whoah!
An update on this:

We've moved onto the point where we're actually putting stories together now, and I even have a first draft script for "Episode 2" sitting on my hard drive. We're thinking of doing another five episodes, effectively making it a six-part "mini-series".

Yes, we are quite insane.

So, while we're we in the pre-production phase, I thought I'd throw open the doors to any (and I mean ANY) ideas, suggestions, criticisms and whathaveyou. Anything you think we could improve on, anything we should continue doing, or anything you'd like to see feature.

If all goes to plan, we could be back in production sometime this year.
Old July 11 2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

So, not even a year after we finished the first film, we already have a set of completed scripts for episodes 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Our cast is eager and willing, we have the "go ahead" with our location and we're gearing up to rebuild the set at the end of this month, after which we have a ludicrous amount of filming to cram into a five week period. I'm not even sure it's enough time to finish it all, but we're gonna try anyway. The official Facebook page will probably be updated with pics and vids of the process. As for finished episodes, I wouldn't expect that for a few months yet. It's gonna take a long time, but I'm pleased to announce that things are moving forwards.

I've been casting a more critical eye over our first effort and, in hindsight, it has a lot of problems. As amateurs, there's stuff you just don't pick up on at the time, but I can see we made some rookie mistakes in a lot of places, in directing, editing, and so on. Crossing lines of sight, chopping off tops of heads, that sort of thing. Our writing/dialogue is a little stilted. Editing should be snappier.

I'm confident the continuing adventures of the HMS Britannic will be... an improvement. It should also be more exciting, universe-building, amusing and more well-rounded in general. We're pretty pleased with the scripts.

Exciting times ahead! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.
Old August 31 2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Our cast is eager and willing, we have the "go ahead" with our location and we're gearing up to rebuild the set at the end of this month, after which we have a ludicrous amount of filming to cram into a five week period. I'm not even sure it's enough time to finish it all, but we're gonna try anyway.
Try, we did. As it happens, we finished the first round of filming last night, and we'll be taking the set down again tomorrow... for the very last time (probably). I knew we'd be cutting it fine, but this was pretty nerve-wracking!

It has been a tiring month, to say the least. Late nights, schedule conflicts, long hours, more late nights. I'm going to take a little break, maybe work on some editing, but take it easy for a while, then we'll start thinking about the next production phase. We've got another small set to rebuild (the ship's briefing room and living quarters), plus various on-location shots and a whole lot of green screen.

Good times ahead! Now, excuse me while I pass out; this film-making lark is hard work...
Old November 18 2011, 04:14 PM   #22
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

It may interest nobody to know that Episode 1 is now available to watch on YouTube in a single 53 minute part, rather than a 10-part playlist. I will be keeping the old versions online (for a while, anyway) but the original playlist now only contains the new full-length video. (Further down the line, I'll probably add additional episodes to the same playlist.)
Here's the new link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHDahkFvgU

Furthermore, there have been a few minor tweaks made to the visual effects, but nothing too drastic. For a full list of changes, see my website article, here: http://adaninthelife.wordpress.com/2...r-episode-1-1/

For future updates, keep an eye on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fallenstarshow

Cheers!
Old May 21 2012, 10:06 AM   #23
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

So, I've been busy lately working on the eagerly anticipated (hahaha!) follow-up to Fallen Star Episode 1, currently imaginely titled "Fallen Star - Episode 2" (although its real title will be revealed nearer release).

Although it's still a little way from being anywhere near finished, I have completed a short teaser trailer. See link below.
Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/EpkUrtg6hJM
Old May 21 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Awesome, I loved the first episode , looking forward to the next one. Keep up the good work

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 03:12 PM   #25
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

Very nicely done...keep it up!

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
JimTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Hi there.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but we are in need of some volunteers to provide some voice work for the next episode of Fallen Star. Normally, we do all voice-related stuff ourselves, but for this one particular scene we require an abundance of American accents and it's rather beyond our little group to provide them. I gather a majority of the TrekBBS users are from the US (?).

If you'd like to provide your voice for a few short lines (it's mostly radio comm chatter aboard a ship during an attack, status reports, barking orders back and forth, that sort of thing), please reply here or by private message.

You'll need a reasonable quality microphone, a reasonably quiet room and either be American or have a far better faked accent than mine. We don't need anything terribly professional but we'd like it to sound pretty good. Any age or gender. We'll probably need about four or five people.

If there's no interest, we'll just do it ourselves. But if you fancy it, you could have the honour (sorry, honor) of your name appearing in the credits! And, y'know, it might be fun.
Old August 22 2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

-----

Incidentally, I've now put the bloopers on YouTube. There's quite a lot of them, at 25 minutes long! Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...D4B2146C2A405F
FYI, I've now made a revised version of the blooper reel, which is just under 15 minutes long, with some of the less funnny stuff taken out. The main reason for this is so it's ready for inclusion on future special features discs. I aim to have a bloopers reel for every episode and 25 minutes is just too long, so I shortened it. I've also increased the volume, as all our old footage was waaayy too quiet.

We've decided it would be a good idea to have some more in-depth special features for future episodes, including cast interviews and 'documentary style' footage. I'm also going to do some more in-depth VFX breakdowns, and hopefully a commentary track for every episode (on the DVD anyway; there doesn't seem to be a way to have additional audio tracks on YouTube).

If there are any other features people would be interested in seeing, please let me know. This is still the early stages so anything's possible at this point.

As far as our progress on episode 2 goes, shooting is on temporary hold at the moment and it's looking unlikely that it'll be ready before the year's end. However, production is still moving forwards and an early-2013 release seems likely.

Also, the above request for voice talent still stands, if any Americans here want to get involved.
Old August 22 2012, 08:17 PM   #28
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

A jolly good romp!

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
JimTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:58 PM   #29
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

As far as our progress on episode 2 goes, shooting is on temporary hold at the moment and it's looking unlikely that it'll be ready before the year's end. However, production is still moving forwards and an early-2013 release seems likely.
Early 2013!!!! Oh what na´vetÚ!

This will probably be my final update in this thread (I'll start a new one for Episode 2 once it's finished):

The filming is now all done. We had some epic unexpected "down time" while waiting on a costume of all things, plus working out where to shoot the last scene, which has possibly added a year onto the production time. These things can't be helped, that's just how it goes sometimes.

On the plus side, this time out of production let me work uninterrupted on the visual effects, which are now finished as well.

So, we've got some audio work to do (dubbing, unfortunately!), sound effects, sourcing some music, etcetera, but I'm hoping the whole thing is finished and ready to show by the end of the year. I mean it's basically all I'm doing now, just this final crunch.

See you on the other side...

(PS. voice talent request still stands, we could always do with more. See previous posts for details.)
Old September 22 2013, 03:59 PM   #30
Duane
Captain

I missed this project when it was posted on-line a few years ago. I'm halfway through your first episode -- looks like good fun. The video comparing the audio (before and after dubbing) was interesting. You've done a great job matching it up with the video.

Duane
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote