Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 13 2013, 05:59 PM   #31
KaraBear
Captain

Re: Why Does a French Captain Have an English Accent?

R. Star wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
Her leaving has come up at conventions, Richard Arnold said she wanted more lines, but since she already had several episodes in which she was heavily featured they said no, so that's why she wanted to leave

then of course after that she wanted back in when she realized it was a popular show

and then she made that crap documentary about Trekkies that made us all look like freaks
Honestly I saw that documentary as a shameless attempt to boost her fledgling acting career, or at least bring in a few extra bucks. The primary purpose behind it definitely didn't seem to be to win over the fans.
agreed,

it seemed like she picked people who were only the stereotypical "loser geek dork" trekkies. Which I guess it's ok to show people like that since they exist, but she could have also showed people who were more...I hate to use the word in this case "normal" people lie for example my husband and I. We go to conventions in costuem, we have a room in our house dedicated to collectibles, we have tons of autographs and such, but outside of cons and our own home you wouldn't know we were trekkies

ugh and that woman, the one who made her coworkers call her "commander" and she was a juror on some case and she went in uniform. Thats what people imagine when they hear the word Trekkie and denise crosby just reinforced that
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:18 PM   #32
Darkwing
Commodore

Yeah, I'd love to meet that juror. As an actual veteran, she grossly offends me, and she's pretty sick in the head to think she "earned" that "rank".
Old September 14 2013, 01:43 AM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

KaraBear wrote: View Post
she could have also showed people who were more...I hate to use the word in this case "normal" people lie for example my husband and I. We go to conventions in costuem, we have a room in our house dedicated to collectibles, we have tons of autographs and such
Which is not very "normal", as you put it...

And that's fine, but at least be honest.
Old September 14 2013, 05:00 AM   #34
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Komack wrote: View Post
(3) If Picard is French, why does he have an English accent?
He learned English from a Englishman. I once new a girl from Argentina who spoke English with an english accent because when she learned to speak English her teacher was from England.
Old September 14 2013, 05:44 AM   #35
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ I always assumed that as well. You'll notice that not only do most of the Picards speak with English accents, but so does Jean-Luc's friend Louis. Thus I assumed that the local English teacher spoke that way, therefore so did anyone who learned English from that teacher.

IIRC, Picard's mother spoke with a French accent. So perhaps she learned English from a different teacher, and/or was from a different area of France?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:31 AM   #36
Mojochi
Commodore

Komack wrote: View Post
(1) Why did Denise Crosby leave Star Trek

(2) Why didn't they keep Dr. Pulaski?

(3) If Picard is French, why does he have an English accent?

As always, your answers are greatly appreciated and make me, in the eyes of my kids, look smart!
1. Nobody thought the show would be a success, & she thought she could do better. She was wrong. However, the show benefitted, because... frankly... she's not that good of an actress. Michelle Forbes as Ro Laren is miles above

2. Nobody liked her

3. because apparently he's an Anglophile who likes English tea & is a Shakespeare aficionado
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:51 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah she dropped Trek as quick as she practically could, then spent the next six years trying to get back into it.
Her argument was she wasn't being used much beyond "Hailing frequencies open, captain" which, well, goes for pretty much the entire cast who wasn't Picard or Data in the first couple of seasons before the show hit a stride. She was a young actress whose ego was larger than her common sense.

You don't quit a job you're contracted to do because you think you can make it big elsewhere. You HAVE a job. A several-year contract on a show with a large built-in fan base. Suck it up and keep opening those hailing frequencies. Don't be a 20-something prima donna, think you're bigger and better and try and get out of a contract because that's not going to look good to future employers who read "Signed a multi-year contract. Wasn't happy. Backed out before the end of the first year."

I've met Denise Crosby and she's a nice, friendly, woman and I really don't mean to sound so harsh on her younger self but she really didn't think and/or got some bad advice. Worf wasn't being used much, Troi wasn't being used much and both of them toughed it out and look what they became.

It wasn't a smart decision on her part and that's not coming from hindsight that's coming from what should just be natural good decision making. "Don't quit a job unless you have a new one lined up, don't back out of a contract you're locked into."

ALL HAIL THE CORPORATE DRONES! NEVER TRY!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:22 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh... there's a difference between trying and being smart about it. I could decide I don't like my job and quit it to pursue a better one.... except wait, I never landed it and when I wanted to come back to the old one they could only take me part time. I suppose chasing that dream foolishly can pay the bills though.

But I suppose being smart is a trait of a "corporate drone" eh?
Old September 15 2013, 03:37 PM   #39
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Eh... there's a difference between trying and being smart about it. I could decide I don't like my job and quit it to pursue a better one.... except wait, I never landed it and when I wanted to come back to the old one they could only take me part time. I suppose chasing that dream foolishly can pay the bills though.

But I suppose being smart is a trait of a "corporate drone" eh?
If that works for you fine - but the logic presented by Trekkie of "never try" (in his weird passive aggresive way - like she shot his dog) is just daft - half of the successful things that we take for granted exist because someone quit a successful well-paid job.

So she failed? so what? Most people will fail - that's not a reason not to try.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 11:59 PM   #40
Zedferret
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to see Patrick Stewart speak with a French accent, then watch L.A Story. He plays a French maître d' in a posh L.A restaurant and sneeringly tells a not rich enough Steve Martin - 'You cannot ave ze duck, you can ave ze chicken.' Worth watching the whole film for.
Zedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 12:34 AM   #41
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

"You think with a financial statement like this, you can have the duck?"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:56 PM   #42
DrBeverly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

chrinFinity, I love that explanation!
DrBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote