Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 18 2013, 02:05 PM   #211
Australis
Writer

Re: And now The Newsroom....

I dunno, I found this ep a bit of a let down. I'll watch it again and give it some more thought as to why.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:41 AM   #212
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Finally got to watch the season finale. Really liked it and felt more like the show was in the first season. No surprises on the conclusion of the Genoa-thread (we knew no one would leave/get fired) though I wish we were given something with Jim/Maggie. Olivia Munn continues to steal the show.

I just, again, really wish the whole season had focused on the election instead of the Genoa nonsense.
Old September 20 2013, 12:37 AM   #213
Aldo
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Why would it be a conflict of interest for an executive producer to be married to the lead talent of the show she produces?
I don't know, that's why I was asking.

I work in retail and someone in a position of authority would never be able to get away with dating an underling, let alone marrying one. I realize television is probably different than retail, which again, is why I was asking.
Old September 20 2013, 01:09 AM   #214
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Aldo wrote: View Post
Why would it be a conflict of interest for an executive producer to be married to the lead talent of the show she produces?
I don't know, that's why I was asking.

I work in retail and someone in a position of authority would never be able to get away with dating an underling, let alone marrying one. I realize television is probably different than retail, which again, is why I was asking.
You'll forgive me if this sounds pretentious (it is not intended to be) but the hierarchy of above-the-line employees on a television show and how it works is a little different than in retail.

Just off the top of my head, Lucy Lawless who married Rob Tapert, her producer on Xena: Warrior Princess, and later Spartacus.

I'm not saying it always works and I'm not saying there isn't potential for problems, but in the fictional world of The Newsroom, I don't see Mac and Will's engagement causing the kind of conflict of interest you seem to be worried about.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:11 AM   #215
Aldo
Admiral

It never hurts to ask
Old September 20 2013, 01:12 AM   #216
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Very true. No hostile tone or sarcasm intended.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:25 AM   #217
Aldo
Admiral

Nah, I didn't take it that way at all.

Well knowing that, it does change my views of the finale (only that I took it as bittersweet rather than the feel good ending they intended).

I'm glad Don and Sloan appear to be getting close, I never cared for him with Maggie anyways...although the way Maggie acted last season, I never felt he should have been with her either. And speaking of Don, to agree with what someone said upthread, he's really turned into an interesting character since the show began. I'm also liking Jim more too, especially since he no longer appears to be the guy who is going to break up Don and Maggie (she did that all by herself), I do think the two will at least try to date in the near future. But for now I like Jim with that other reporter (who's name escapes me).

I also really enjoyed the Genoa storyline. Sure it was mostly fabricated, but that worked and made for some real drama since we had no idea how it would play out. Though based on the framing device in the first handful of episodes with everyone talking with the lawyers, I knew it wouldn't end well.
Old September 20 2013, 01:48 AM   #218
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I came around on Don too and quite like him.

Is a third season ordered or is that yet to be seen?

Again, overall a meh season. But I'd much rather see the show hindsightedly tackle issues and "criticize" the media in how the handle(d) them rather than making up storylines like this Genoa thing. And, really, the 2012 election would've been a playground of things to tackle.

Glad to see Mac and Will together so that won't be a series-long sexual tension/workplace romance drama. I just thought the first season was much, much better and want to see more scenes of Will behind the news desk tearing apart interviewees and editorializing on issues. We just did not get much of that this season.
Old September 20 2013, 02:15 AM   #219
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Just off the top of my head, Lucy Lawless who married Rob Tapert, her producer on Xena: Warrior Princess, and later Spartacus.
And there's Julie Chen, who's married to the President of CBS.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I came around on Don too and quite like him.
I feel the same.

Though I'd much rather see him in a relationship with the lawyer than with Sloan.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:38 AM   #220
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I've also come around on Don. I hated him during the first half of the first season but now he's one of my favorite characters along with Sloan, so I love their budding relationship (and really, it's the only one I really care about).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:35 PM   #221
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Again, overall a meh season. But I'd much rather see the show hindsightedly tackle issues and "criticize" the media in how the handle(d) them rather than making up storylines like this Genoa thing. And, really, the 2012 election would've been a playground of things to tackle.
I respectfully disagree. We don't need Sorkin to play Captain Hindsight. Frankly, he's not good at it. His attempts are not subtle, they're patronising, and they're not even particularly insightful. Leave that stuff to Stewart and Colbert, two guys who are experts at media criticism, with the bonus that they're pretty funny.

What Sorkin is good at is writing interesting original stories with good characters. The Genoa story had some missteps, but overall it was a good story and made the best use of the characters so far this series. It was a big step up on the types of original stories that appeared in the first season, which mostly involved cloying romance antics.