Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 13 2013, 04:04 AM   #16
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
...already was?

Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite TNG episode ever. Fantastic episode!

But I was thinking, what if they revealed one of the captains of those Klingon Bird of Preys attacking the Enterprise D and C to be Worf? I think it would've made the episode more dramatic than it already was.

What would you have thought of this?
I'm pretty sure that on the Blu-ray set for season 3 they discuss this, as they had originally planned to do just that and then nixed it for being too unbelievable and distracting.

I can't say it would have really improved my enjoyment of the episode.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:18 AM   #17
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
...already was?

Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite TNG episode ever. Fantastic episode!

But I was thinking, what if they revealed one of the captains of those Klingon Bird of Preys attacking the Enterprise D and C to be Worf? I think it would've made the episode more dramatic than it already was.

What would you have thought of this?
Well, it probably would have kept them from doing that very same thing with Worf years later on DS9 when he is on a big klingon cruiser attacking DS9 in the mirror universe.

The way to improve YE is to do a whole season on that ship. Get to watch it get gradually trashed, since I assume the holodeck and replication would be luxuries in a time of crisis and limited power.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Ugh, No. It's best without him.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

...t already was?

Yes, building the VFX model of the Enterprise-C the way Andrew Probert had envisioned her, and as she had appeared on the conference lounge sculpture wall for several TNG seasons.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Makarov
Commander

I'm not sure if Worf needs to be there, that would feel a bit too convenient.

Does Redemption make Yesterday's Enterprise kind of disturbing to anyone else?
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:16 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Makarov wrote: View Post

How so?
Old September 19 2013, 02:44 PM   #22
Chensams
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

How so?
I imagine knowing that Yar is going to be captured, basically raped, and then executed when she tried to escape.
Old September 19 2013, 09:52 PM   #23
Makarov
Commander

Chensams wrote: View Post

How so?
I imagine knowing that Yar is going to be captured, basically raped, and then executed when she tried to escape.
Exactly. Also Yar's love interest in Yesterday's Enterprise was kind of sweet, them going off to a heroic death, now it's just a tragedy because I'm guessing he was killed right in front of her.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:40 AM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Chensams wrote: View Post

How so?
Exactly. Also Yar's love interest in Yesterday's Enterprise was kind of sweet, them going off to a heroic death, now it's just a tragedy because I'm guessing he was killed right in front of her.
I thought that was why Yar married the Romulan, to save the rest of the Enterprise-C survivors?
Old September 22 2013, 11:40 PM   #25
Sran
Fleet Captain

I thought that was why Yar married the Romulan, to save the rest of the Enterprise-C survivors?
The aftermath of Enterprise-C's return to 2344 is discussed in the novel Vulcan's Heart.

--Sran
Old September 29 2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Boooo!!! Hisss!!! {{{throws pop corn at the screen}}}

Worf showing up would have been terrible. Small-Universe syndrome to the extreme. It's technically silly the rest of the Enterprise crew was there given how differently their lives would have been...strike that...given that NONE of them would have existed had history not played out how it did. It's one thing to visit the Mirror Universe where we're specifically going to meet eeeevil versions of the characters, but in a "real life" changed history scenario like war with the Klingons for decades altering the timeline? Forget it.

I mean, remember, we'd all be different if just one other sperm or egg from our parents made us. If our parents even sneezed at the wrong moment another sperm would have fertilized the egg and poof - very different "you." Besides, didn't later Treks run small-universe syndrome into the ground?

No. I say no Worf in "Yesterday's Enterprise"!!! No Worf, No vaccine, and No Lt. Yar!
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 11:35 AM   #27
starburst
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Except Worf was rescued by humans after the Khitomer massacre two years after Narendra III was destroyed. If tensions had already risen between the Klingon Empire and Federation, I doubt the USS Intrepid would've responded to the distress call. So very likely the four year old Worf would've been left for dead among the debris.
But given that's it's an alternate timeline, the Romulans might never have attacked Khitomer.
Exactly, or his father may not have been posted to Khitomer at the time of the attack.

I dont think Worf being in command of a BoP was needed, its got old during DS9, partly because of just how senior he was, I would have preferred to see that Worf to be a hungry captain of a cruiser trying to make his name but thats another topic.

In fact I would have preferred, if a known Klingon needed shoehorning in for it to have been Kurn or Duras, maybe Gowron or even one of the classic series Captains.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:31 AM   #28
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Kurn, Duras, and Gowron hadn't been introduced yet.

Arpy wrote: View Post
given that NONE of them would have existed had history not played out how it did. [...] I mean, remember, we'd all be different if just one other sperm or egg from our parents made us. If our parents even sneezed at the wrong moment another sperm would have fertilized the egg and poof - very different "you." Besides, didn't later Treks run small-universe syndrome into the ground?
The timeline was only changed 22 years in the episode's past...except for Wesley, nobody in the crew shown in the alternate timeline was so young that they wouldn't have been born yet.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 10:36 AM   #29
starburst
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^Kurn, Duras, and Gowron hadn't been introduced yet.
Never mind then...
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:31 AM   #30
Arpy
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Arpy wrote: View Post
given that NONE of them would have existed had history not played out how it did. [...] I mean, remember, we'd all be different if just one other sperm or egg from our parents made us. If our parents even sneezed at the wrong moment another sperm would have fertilized the egg and poof - very different "you." Besides, didn't later Treks run small-universe syndrome into the ground?
The timeline was only changed 22 years in the episode's past...except for Wesley, nobody in the crew shown in the alternate timeline was so young that they wouldn't have been born yet.
Okay but would their lives have gone like they had? Sure their genes would be the same but their environments would have been very different. They would have had very different influences in life interacting with their genes, and the circumstances of their time would probably have found different people on the bridge of the Enterprize.

It's also pretty improbable that the E-D **in either timeline** would have just so happened to be there as the anomaly deposited the E-C into the future BTW. I mean, given all of time and space that the E-C could have shifted to, it's astounding that it showed up anywhere near anything at all (a starship, planet, a star), and especially improbable that it would appear to it's own successor starship, which in both timelines (prime and warring) just so happened to be at the same exact time/place.

I guess the more you think about it, the more improbable the whole scenario is, but at least it didn't include eeeeevil Captain Worf at the end! :P

For that, they should have done a Mirror Universe episode! ...Although there the Klingons would have been amiable explorers and the Terrans ill-tempered warriors!

Last edited by Arpy; October 1 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote