MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 19 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

"Invasion!" in the Mirror Universe

How do people reckon the events in the Invasion! mini-series would have gone in the mirror universe? I've only read the first two books, but I recall that in the first one, the attack by the super-powerful Furies was only foiled due to an alliance between Kirk and the Klingons.....Knowing relations between the Terran and Klingon Empires in the MU, would this have happened? If not, how would the Furies have been defeated? And what about the second time they returned in the TNG era; would the Alliance have been able to repel them?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Markonian
Captain

Re: "Invasion!" in the Mirror Universe

This topic is dangerously close to story-ideas, I think.

For speculation's worth: In the Dark Mirror permutation of the MU, the United Empire of Planets is so powerful it probably would've crushed the Furies with ease.

Basically, we don't know when the MU diverged from the Prime Universe - and as such whether the Fury society ever formed or survived.

However, speculating is rather pointless, because you could probably ask for virtually every situation "How did the MU people deal with that?" - Mirror V'Ger, mirror Khan, mirror Porthos incident on Kretassa? There are works that tackle some issues exemplary, e.g. Drema IV's survival, Shattered Universe with several TOS threats, Ligon II in Dark Mirror, the Trill Parasite Crisis etc.
Old September 19 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

I once tried to figure out what TOS episodes could be retold as Mirror Universe stories, and the answer was, not many. Generally, they seemed to break down into three categories: stories that wouldn't happen at all because they were about humanitarian missions or freeing oppressed societies; stories that would be wrapped up very quickly by just blowing up the problem; or stories that would unfold pretty much the same because they were about fighting off attacking monsters or doomsday weapons or what-have-you.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 02:13 AM   #4
tomswift2002
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I once tried to figure out what TOS episodes could be retold as Mirror Universe stories, and the answer was, not many. Generally, they seemed to break down into three categories: stories that wouldn't happen at all because they were about humanitarian missions or freeing oppressed societies; stories that would be wrapped up very quickly by just blowing up the problem; or stories that would unfold pretty much the same because they were about fighting off attacking monsters or doomsday weapons or what-have-you.

Not to mention the Voyager angle where the question would be, in the Dark Mirror universe, would Voyager have really bothered going after a ship the was presumed destroyed, and thus getting pulled into the Delta Quadrant? I don't think a Mirror-Voyager Invasion story would've worked.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Noddy
Captain

Did the Furies even exist in the MU? Given how fundamentally they influenced a great many cultures across the galaxy (including humanity), I'd say they did, seeing as how similar the histories of so many cultures are in the MU. But the era of the Furies was thousands of years ago. I don't worry about stuff like how V'Ger would have occurred in the MU, as in my opinion, history had already diverged so much by that point that it's highly probable there never was a Voyager VI (if, indeed, there was even ever a Voyager program). I've read that an RPG supplement conjectured the Cetacean Probe did attack Earth in the MU, at the same time as in the primary reality, but when Mirror-Spock brought Mirror-George and Mirror-Gracie to the 23rd century from the 20th, the Probe transformed them into cybernetic monsters that laid waste to large portions of Earth's coastal regions. Make of it what you will.
Old September 21 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
This reminds me of one of my favorite Trek board games from the 80s: Star Trek: The Adventure Game by West End.

A federation player and a klingon player fly to different planets and experience short choose-your-own-adventure style "missions" exploring each planet.

Most of the missions were loosely based on various episodes of TOS. (And other things - one was based on Forbidden Planet, which was extraordinarily cool.)

Anyhow, the Klingon missions often played like "What would the Klingons have done if they had experienced this TOS episode instead of the Enterprise?" Most of them were like what Christopher described - they would just blow up the problem, or intimidate people. Its not the mirror universe Federation, but its pretty much the same idea.

Man, I need to dig that game out of my closet again, I bet my kids would love it.
Old September 21 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
publiusr
Commodore

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post

Anyhow, the Klingon missions often played like "What would the Klingons have done if they had experienced this TOS episode instead of the Enterprise?" Most of them were like what Christopher described - they would just blow up the problem, or intimidate people.
Not with The Man Trap.

They would think the creature useful, and would have saved it. A few crewmembers lost? Fah.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

publiusr wrote: View Post
Not with The Man Trap.

They would think the creature useful, and would have saved it.
They would have as-salted it.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:18 AM   #9
zarkon
Captain

Furies would have gotten destroyed by an imperial armada first time round
Second time round, if Dark Mirror continuity, same again. If TV continuity, furies would have won.
Old September 25 2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Noddy
Captain

Would the Terran Imperial fleet have been strong enough to fight the Furies though? And what of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance? Plus, with no starship Voyager in the Delta Quadrant, what happens around the time of The Final Fury?
Old September 25 2013, 06:52 PM   #11
zarkon
Captain

They should be - they're basically geared for war, so there won't just be a small number of galaxy analogues, there'll be huge numbers of overpowered warships.
Final Fury wise, I'd imagine the planet turns up in the alpha quadrant and the empire supernova the local sun.

In the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance continuity, they'd lose as of book 2 I suspect. They haven't had hundreds of years of unending rule, and are probably still consolidating power, so I suspect the furies would depart from furies point and complete their invasion.
Old September 25 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Noddy
Captain

But we know that didn't happen in the MU.....so what stopped the Furies?
Old September 25 2013, 07:07 PM   #13
zarkon
Captain

Well storywise you could make a good case for the first ship being destroyed so quick they never got a message off, and since the mission was so controversial anyway they never bothered again.
Old September 26 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
JD
Admiral

zarkon wrote: View Post
Furies would have gotten destroyed by an imperial armada first time round
Second time round, if Dark Mirror continuity, same again. If TV continuity, furies would have won.
For some reason when I started reading the post, I read it as furries instead of Furies. I think we can safely say that would be a very different story.
Old September 28 2013, 11:49 PM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Noddy wrote: View Post
But we know that didn't happen in the MU.....so what stopped the Furies?
Since all the Furies of the Mirror Universe would be hedonistic bisexuals, perhaps they found other distractions and forgot about invading?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote