RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 752
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 12 2013, 08:55 AM   #31
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Exactly. I'm a huge comic fan, and the numbers have nothing to do with the economy, they've been sliding for years. They sell a fraction what they did in the 60s/70s, the 90s there was an explosion, but that was down to collectors buying multiple copies of 'special' issues because they believed the issues would be worth something like Action Comics 1 or Amazing Fantasy 15 is today. I've seen references that today's top selling comic would be considered in need of cancellation in days gone by, the numbers are that different.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 03:51 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

I gather the shrinking of comic-book sales is a result of a change in the distribution system, so that comics that used to be sold on newsstands and convenience-store shelves all over the country ended up being distributed solely to specialty comics shops. Readership plummeted because availability plummeted.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #33
NightJim
Commander

Precisely, and now those speciality shops are shutting it's getting even worse. Which is the one aspect that is down to the economy. Not to mention there is only one distributor for the entire industry, Diamond

Right now they're hoping to turn that around with the digital market. Unfortunately, the brick and mortar stores and Diamond are fighting it tooth and nail which has resulted in a lot of books being the same price online as physical when there's a serious disparity to production/shipping costs for the two. You're never going to get people paying 3-5 dollars for a comic that takes a few minutes to read when they can pick up a game for 99cents.

... I'll, erm, I'll stop ranting now.
Old September 12 2013, 07:11 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

*sigh* This country used to have effective laws against corporate monopolies. We seem to have forgotten a lot of the lessons of our past in recent decades.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 10:05 PM   #35
Cap'n Crunch
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I gather the shrinking of comic-book sales is a result of a change in the distribution system, so that comics that used to be sold on newsstands and convenience-store shelves all over the country ended up being distributed solely to specialty comics shops. Readership plummeted because availability plummeted.
I'm curious, does anyone know why the distribution system changed?
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 11:25 PM   #36
NightJim
Commander

Sales really. It was a slow process, then DC did a Teen Titans series - which was their big franchise at the time - specifically for the direct market which took off. There's a bit more to it than that, but from memory that's the big thing.

Edit: Just to clarify that's more how the Direct Market happened, how the spinner racks and grocery stores got abandoned I can't remember.
Old September 12 2013, 11:34 PM   #37
jpv2000
Captain

*sigh* This country used to have effective laws against corporate monopolies. We seem to have forgotten a lot of the lessons of our past in recent decades.
Ain't that the truth.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:03 PM   #38
bbailey861
Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
Sales really. It was a slow process, then DC did a Teen Titans series - which was their big franchise at the time - specifically for the direct market which took off. There's a bit more to it than that, but from memory that's the big thing.

Edit: Just to clarify that's more how the Direct Market happened, how the spinner racks and grocery stores got abandoned I can't remember.
I don't know why the racks disappeared either.

My Dad got me into reading in the first place by buying me comic books. Lord, how I wished I had kept them all from the time he started buying them for me!! I did the same for my son. Just went in one day and bought a whole bunch of old comics from a thrift store - "cartoon comics" - and just left them lying around. It wasn't long before he was picking them up and going through them. He'd ask for help with some of the words and he'd carry on his merry way. I just kept buying them, dozens at a time. Eventually, I went from the cartoon series to Superman, Batman, Spidey, etc. He ended up settling on pretty much all Marvel stuff -Spiderman and X-Men mostly, so I started buying him the comics off the racks in the stores. It just grew from there and he has carried on every since. He is in his 20s now and has one hell of a collection.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:31 PM   #39
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I am sure the industry isn't doing as well as years before - not surprising in this economy. It would be interesting to know for sure how the numbers differ.
When the New 52 started, I saw an interview with Dan DiDio where he said titles rarely top 100,000 copies these days.

By way of comparison, this is last year's list of the bestselling comics in Japan, where the comics industry is still thriving. (These are equivalent to trade paperbacks, so it's not a direct comparison, but the magazines where the series are first serialized usually have circulation in the millions.)
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Well I can't speak for anywhere but Kingston, but comics do very well here - at least if I am to believe the dealers that sell here. They have IDW comics - not just Star Trek - as does the guy who comes to town during Sunday Market at Springer Market Square.
Well, I get all Trek IDW comics put into my standing order, so I never miss out, but there are only ever a few copies ordered for the open shelves. (Unlike other series of superhero comics, and even most other IDW titles.)

I'm in Australia, but there seems to be regular complaints on this and other BBSs that the IDW Trek comics are very hard to find in many US comic shops, with stories of people missing out on certain issues because the comic shops were ordering so frugally. During my recent US vacation, in which I visited many, many such stores, rarely had issues of the IDW Trek comic - not even on new comics delivery day - and certainly no racks of recent back issues. (And yet, those stores with back issue racks often had random DC, Marvel/Paramount and WildStorm Trek comics.)

It's my understanding that, with the old newspaper stands, five issues were required on display to sell one, on average, with the unsold (often damaged) copies being returned to the distributor. Specialty comic stores have to buy all their copies outright - ie. no returns - so unless a title has potential for eventually selling as a back issue (possibly higher than the original retail price) - the shops are extremely careful about ordering only what they know they can sell very quickly, with very few for the open shelves.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:39 PM   #41
publiusr
Commodore

Heck, the Nausicaans look like the Predator species anyway.

Digression: This thread has got me thinking that at least one of those two Fox horror franchises is misnamed. It's the Xenomorphs that are the predators -- animals whose primary subsistence method is to pursue, capture, and feed on live prey. The Yautja are instead hunters -- intelligent beings who stalk and kill prey for sport. In fact, the film Predator was originally going to be called Hunter, which would've been more accurate.
I could see a Predator (Yautja) Trek cross-over more easily.

Some of Duras bunch, a few Hirogen, Nausicaans, Jem Hadar etc would be featured in a plot similar to "Tsunkatse."

I might want to add Carpenter's Thing and some Founders to keep things interesting.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:02 AM   #42
Pauln6
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post
I might want to add Carpenter's Thing and some Founders to keep things interesting.
Oooh the Thing - I hadn't thought of that one.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:07 PM   #43
Noddy
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post

But then, IMO, it's just like with the Predators and the Hirogen. The latter are so much like the former anyway, you might as well just use them in a story where you wanted scary, psychotic hunters stalking the characters. So why do a crossover with The Thing when you could just as easily utilize the Founders for a story involving creepy shapeshifters?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:40 PM   #44
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

Absolutely correct - it is my personal opinion. It's things like personal opinions that keep the conversation going.
But when it comes to personal opinions that predict the future success of a corporation you're not employed by, or seems to make decisions for them, I think that kind of opinion should be kept to oneself, regardless if you think it "keeps the conversation going". That doesn't sound like a good conversation.

I'm not against the posting of opinions, just this kind of opinion.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:49 PM   #45
bbailey861
Admiral

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
Absolutely correct - it is my personal opinion. It's things like personal opinions that keep the conversation going.
But when it comes to personal opinions that predict the future success of a corporation you're not employed by, or seems to make decisions for them, I think that kind of opinion should be kept to oneself, regardless if you think it "keeps the conversation going". That doesn't sound like a good conversation.

I'm not against the posting of opinions, just this kind of opinion.
So, you must have been really upset with the other threads that were commenting on and/or predicting the success or failure of STiD. No, I am not an employee of the company, but I am a consumer, so I think that gives me entitlement to my opinion.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote