Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 18 2013, 10:14 PM   #91
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Mach5 wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post
Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
I say the Hornblower thing is more prevalent from TWOK onward. TOS and Kirk's character in that era strikes me more as Forbidden Planets meets Western. Not Wagon Train (which is what Gene allegedly sold the show as being but in space) but Kirk is more the White Hat that rides into town and kicks a little ass, woos the local girls, and rides into the sunset at the end.

If you stripped everything sci-fi out of TOS, you'd have at the end a standard issue Western.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:15 PM   #92
Opus
Commodore

As Bob Justman said about Gene Roddenberry lifting ideas from others and magically 'making' them his own:

"The Great Blotter of the Galaxy"
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:39 PM   #93
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
I say the Hornblower thing is more prevalent from TWOK onward. TOS and Kirk's character in that era strikes me more as Forbidden Planets meets Western. Not Wagon Train (which is what Gene allegedly sold the show as being but in space) but Kirk is more the White Hat that rides into town and kicks a little ass, woos the local girls, and rides into the sunset at the end.

If you stripped everything sci-fi out of TOS, you'd have at the end a standard issue Western.
Don't you remember the time Shatner played a cowboy and an indian in the same movie? Lmao
1968's The White Comanche
AllStarEntprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:52 PM   #94
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I had never seen that!

Thanks Seer.
Old September 19 2013, 03:28 AM   #95
The Wormhole
Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

If you've read anything at all about Roddenberry, you'd know that his name and integrity never belong in the same sentence.
I keep telling people, Cochrane in FC is a dig at Roddenberry. The more I've read about Gene--and I'm not talking about his personal or family life, I'm talking purely professional life--the more I think they wrote Cochrane as a way of taking on the "Great Bird" and the hero worship some fans (the TNG crew) has for him.
Never heard that, before. It's a very valid comparison, whether it was done deliberately or purely coincidental. I'm jealous of you for not having thought of that, myself.
It's actually an old theory. One which Berman, Braga, and Ron Moore have denied was their intention. But it is a valid comparison all the same.
Old September 19 2013, 03:38 AM   #96
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I want a NuTrek Borg film. Maybe have Uhura assimilated by the Borg and made Queen. Spock loses control of his emotions...again. The proceeds to go Captain Ahab on the Borg for stealing his love away. Kirk can then command the Enterprise in a space battle against a cube. Since the NuEnt's tactical feats only account for shooting down missiles.
Have them all assimilated, and 100 years later, nuChakotay can throw them all out the airlock and be done with the whole mess.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:41 AM   #97
SeerSGB
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

I keep telling people, Cochrane in FC is a dig at Roddenberry. The more I've read about Gene--and I'm not talking about his personal or family life, I'm talking purely professional life--the more I think they wrote Cochrane as a way of taking on the "Great Bird" and the hero worship some fans (the TNG crew) has for him.
Never heard that, before. It's a very valid comparison, whether it was done deliberately or purely coincidental. I'm jealous of you for not having thought of that, myself.
It's actually an old theory. One which Berman, Braga, and Ron Moore have denied was their intention. But it is a valid comparison all the same.
Yeppers. A lot have either forgotten about it or didn't know about. Whatever their real intention (and I don't buy it wasn't on purpose, but that's my opinion), they created something that rings true about fandom if nothing else.

Last edited by SeerSGB; September 19 2013 at 04:21 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:53 AM   #98
OpenMaw
Commander

It rings true about all hero worship.

"It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another." - Mal "Firefly, Jaynestown."
Old September 19 2013, 07:32 AM   #99
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
It rings true about all hero worship.

"It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another." - Mal "Firefly, Jaynestown."
WORD!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:02 PM   #100
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yanks wrote: View Post
Chalk one up to Mach5!

Multiplicity is not to be asserted when it is unnecessary.
Old September 19 2013, 03:23 PM   #101
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
Parasite aliens?

The S1 TNG episode "Conspiracy" had parasite aliens who took over the bodies of high ranking Starfleet officers to subvert the Federation, a species whose identities and full motives were left unresolved after Picard and Riker defeated the aliens' infiltration of Starfleet. Perhaps in the Abramsverse the parasite species have an interest in the Federation a century earlier.
The novels make the parasites a dangerous Trill offshoot of some kind (I don't recall the details), but I don't recall the concept being followed up to a satisfying conclusion. I'd love to revisit the parasites.....one of TNG's few major unresolved cliffhangers.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:24 PM   #102
anh165
Commander

anh165 wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

So you only like because other people do?
It seems that there are some who rather Trek die with it's limited appeal because it worked OK in their day and to their own tastes of relentless technobabble and cheesy exchange of dialog than to attract and inspire many more people who could like Trek and become life long fans themselves.
That's not a fair assessment IMHO. Abrams and the writers would have more credibility with me if they developed some original material for our traditional characters. It's the alternate timeline that sticks in my craw. Pre-TOS material could've been terrific on its own. Take the characters through the academy and their initial sojourns into space. Pike could've been the vehicle to tie it all together. Instead, we have to destroy 2 fundamental cultures (and their homes), kill off Kirk's father and ruin his childhood, in essence changing all the core events that created the Kirk and crew that we know AND have come to love. As I wrote in an earlier post, all Abrams has done is to turn everything upside down and call it art. Are you telling me that all of the character destruction was necessary to make Trek accessible to newer audiences? Rubbish.
What is shocking is you have a single minded idea of how Trek should be and that Paramount, Abrams, the writing staff should change the direction they took which made millions and entertained a much wider audience in order to please the minority.

Besides I find your alternative ideas of characterisation very typical of 1990's Trek obsession of self-indulgence and constant canon self reference.
Old September 19 2013, 03:31 PM   #103
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seems that there are some who rather Trek die with it's limited appeal because it worked OK in their day and to their own tastes of relentless technobabble and cheesy exchange of dialog than to attract and inspire many more people who could like Trek and become life long fans themselves.
That's not a fair assessment IMHO. Abrams and the writers would have more credibility with me if they developed some original material for our traditional characters. It's the alternate timeline that sticks in my craw. Pre-TOS material could've been terrific on its own. Take the characters through the academy and their initial sojourns into space. Pike could've been the vehicle to tie it all together. Instead, we have to destroy 2 fundamental cultures (and their homes), kill off Kirk's father and ruin his childhood, in essence changing all the core events that created the Kirk and crew that we know AND have come to love. As I wrote in an earlier post, all Abrams has done is to turn everything upside down and call it art. Are you telling me that all of the character destruction was necessary to make Trek accessible to newer audiences? Rubbish.
What is shocking is you have a single minded idea of how Trek should be and that Paramount, Abrams, the writing staff should change the direction they took which made millions and entertained a much wider audience in order to please the minority.

Besides I find your alternative ideas of characterisation very typical of 1990's Trek obsession of self-indulgence and constant canon self reference.
The sure sign of a weak argument is when one of the participants resorts to a personal attack. Furthermore, your appeal to evidence by pointing out that millions were entertained, etc. is a classic straw man fallacy.

Last edited by umichigan; September 19 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
umichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:39 PM   #104
anh165
Commander

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

So you only like because other people do?
It's worthy of praise as it made Trek very accessible and relevant in 2013. The box office and non-trekkie critics reflect that.

To re-launch Trek with those high budgets in the way how you are familiar with Trek back in 1994-1999 would further make Trek so elite, inaccessible and even unpalatable beyond repair.

That's a false dichotomy. Plenty of Star Trek has had commercial appeal in spite of (1) being "heady", (2) skimping on the special effects, and (3) preferring dialogue over action. It's difficult to account for the successes of TVH or TNG without noticing those things. And even though it used military-style conflict, TWOK was weak in terms of special effects, even for its day. Conversely, Nemesis still sucked even though it was thematically lighter, had a bigger effects budget, emphasized more action, and was directed by someone who could care less for trek.
What counts as 'commercial appeal' back in 1982 and 1986 is not the same as in 2013.

Things have changed, whether or not you think it has progressed artistically.

High budget films are not made to tick the boxes of a few demanding fans, it is there to make money by mass appeal.
Old September 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #105
anh165
Commander

The sure sign of a weak argument is when one of the participants resorts to a personal attack. Furthermore, your appeal to evidence by pointing out that millions were entertained, etc. is a classic straw man fallacy.
Personal attack? I simply made an opinion that your ideas of Trek is not suitable for today's audience due to its self indulgence, no one gives a damn if Kirk liked to play baseball, or if Chekov liked to collect romulan postage stamps. It is poor story telling to waste minutes of screen time forcing audences to listen to trival facets of character's history that has no significant contribution to the story telling. Again all IMHO.

The same way you express your opinion that JJ Trek is guilty of 'character destruction'.

P.S - People are not forced to watch Star Trek into darkness, yet many of them have paid up with their own money and invested 2+hrs of their time and many of them came out smiling. For me as a trek fan, that is one of the best things that can happen!