Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 18 2013, 05:05 AM   #61
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Favourite Warp Effect...

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
it doesn't look like what you think a realistic warp field might look like.
For some reason, this sentence just blows my mind!
Realistic warp field? Well there's an oxymoron.
Old September 18 2013, 10:01 AM   #62
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Ok, I admit that didn't come out right

Let's just say if warp drive technology was actually created and you could see a ship go into warp, would we see a light show like in TMP, or would be more like in NU Trek or TNG?
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:14 PM   #63
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ Of course no one can say for sure. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was some actual scientific thought put into the warp display from TMP. Of course it was designed to be visually impressive and to showcase the fact that the visual effects were exponentially better than TOS. But, at the same time, I recall that each part of the "light show" had a specific rationale.

Now if only I could remember where I read that. The Okuda text commentary for TMPE perhaps? Anyone know?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 05:26 PM   #64
dub
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
You might want to dig through old issues of ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS magazine. There are a couple that have concept art by the original (fired) VFX team on TMP. Their concept for the warp effect involved a sustained ripple between the inboard grills of the two nacelles, plus a sort of bubble around the ship that manifested primarily as a distortion of the star background.

It sounded both complex and subtle, and would have required shooting two differently sized Enterprises (one of them a black miniature with fiber optics strung between the engines) lined up in perfect synch to get the inboard effect to matte itself as the ship moved through the shot, but if they'd pulled it off it might have been awesome.
Are there concept drawings/renderings of this somewhere? I would love to see this idea realized. Just to see it.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:18 AM   #65
trevanian
Rear Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
You might want to dig through old issues of ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS magazine. There are a couple that have concept art by the original (fired) VFX team on TMP. Their concept for the warp effect involved a sustained ripple between the inboard grills of the two nacelles, plus a sort of bubble around the ship that manifested primarily as a distortion of the star background.

It sounded both complex and subtle, and would have required shooting two differently sized Enterprises (one of them a black miniature with fiber optics strung between the engines) lined up in perfect synch to get the inboard effect to matte itself as the ship moved through the shot, but if they'd pulled it off it might have been awesome.
Are there concept drawings/renderings of this somewhere? I would love to see this idea realized. Just to see it.
I've never seen them online, just in the mag, which I cut up over 20 years ago to illustrate a book proposal. The artist is identified differently in each issue, as either Dick Friesen or Dick Crewson, and the source for the comments is Andy Probert and/or that Paul Hewitt guy who did all the trailblazing for improving AMT models.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:20 AM   #66
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Ok, I admit that didn't come out right

Let's just say if warp drive technology was actually created and you could see a ship go into warp, would we see a light show like in TMP, or would be more like in NU Trek or TNG?
I'm pretty sure THE LAST STARFIGHTER's starcar going FTL is as close to the scientific projection as we've seen thus far. Ron Cobb worked very specifically from scientific extrapolation (funny, given the movie has no science behind it at all except in how he engineered the gunstar with proper center of gravity and all that.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:38 AM   #67
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've actually always thought that the most "realistic" warp effect would be a ship simply entering a pitch black tunnel with a small dot of light at one end (it's origin point) and a small dot of light at the other (it's destination point). It's not very dramatic or visually interesting, but I think a ship moving faster-than-light or through subspace would actually be moving through a totally empty zone.
Old September 19 2013, 03:22 PM   #68
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

There's this TMP concept art, from The Art of Star Trek:
Old September 19 2013, 04:40 PM   #69
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

That is the coolest looking lounge.

And it's view of the nacelles looks sweet. It would have been cool to see what all of that would have looked like.

I'm trying to find a clip of the warp from the Last Starfighter to see what it compared.

I think Star Wars's hyperspace jump looks cool and realistic if you had to imagine what it would like. The problem is, it looks cool from the cockpit, but boring from the outside.

Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 07:01 PM   #70
publiusr
Commodore

I would have liked to have seen that.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 10:52 PM   #71
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Abramsverse warp effect.

It really shows warp as being a powerful, dangerous ride.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:18 PM   #72
publiusr
Commodore

That should have been what Excelsior's Transwarp effect had it worked.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 07:56 AM   #73
Maurice
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

There's this TMP concept art, from The Art of Star Trek:
Which had they been able to do the scene mighta looked a bit like this...

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 09:01 PM   #74
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I've said before that the Abrams warp "tunnel" is reminiscent of quantum slipstream and similar drives in Voyager, and I've no problem with that. The tunnel is growing on me. But after rewatching the movies, it just dawned upon me...

1. Let's assume, for the sake of the question, that the alt. universe uses the same warp scales as Voyager (more or less, as long as it takes decades to return to the Federation at high warp)

2. At such scales and given stardates and times between episodes, it's not uncommon for Voyager to be at warp for days or even weeks non-stop

3. There are whole scenes on the nuEnterprise bridge where, while the ship is at warp, the bridge lights dim, the whitish-blue hue from the warp tunnel fills the bridge, there's an audible hum, and the viewscreen/windshield constantly shows the hypnotic tunnel passing by

3. Seriously, that tunnel can get really hypnotic

So question: could you imagine if Voyager spent days or weeks in that warp tunnel, with the crew looking at the tunnel the entire time? How long would they look before shutting off the viewscreen for their own sanity? What about the rest of the ship?
Old September 24 2013, 09:27 PM   #75
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

J. Allen wrote: View Post
It's nice, but this is just so damned sweet:

I feel like I'm looking between someone's fat thighs in this shot. Or dressing a turkey.