RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 430
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 19 2013, 03:48 AM   #541
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

We can't be expected to footnote every criticism with caveats and acknowledgements of previous movie/series citations.
Why not?
Because you shouldn't have to defend your argument as if you were writing a thesis just to discuss a movie. It turns a simple, fun conversation into a legal debate.

I disliked The Enterprise and Vengeance duking it out alone while the rest of StarFleet sat back and watched. As proof of the validity of my criticism, allow me to submit for your approval three pieces of evidence -- Star Trek: Nemesis, Star Trek: Generations, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. More evidence can be submitted if further proof is requested.
How long you been in this fandom? Or any fandom? People are going to call people on hypocrisy. In short: Bring the "A" game. Got an opinion? Great. Start citing how "X" is worse that "Y" cause "Y" is a superior product, you better be willing to back it up and then brace to get it torn down and torched.

A lot of the "issues" people bitch about with the Abrams films are standard fare in Trek, but some people shift the goal posts in order to make it look like the Abrams films are somehow worse when they do it than all the other times when it's been done in the franchise.

The hardest critics on Trek are the people that love it but can still see the warts.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:50 AM   #542
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I disliked The Enterprise and Vengeance duking it out alone while the rest of StarFleet sat back and watched. As proof of the validity of my criticism, allow me to submit for your approval three pieces of evidence -- Star Trek: Nemesis, Star Trek: Generations, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. More evidence can be submitted if further proof is requested.
You list three movies but list nothing of why you actually disliked it or what the three movies you list prove.

I like the point made that Spock simply didn't know who he could trust on Earth.
Old September 19 2013, 04:04 AM   #543
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
How long you been in this fandom? Or any fandom? People are going to call people on hypocrisy. In short: Bring the "A" game. Got an opinion? Great. Start citing how "X" is worse that "Y" cause "Y" is a superior product, you better be willing to back it up and then brace to get it torn down and torched.
If someone is posting their opinion on some important political issue like universal health care or gay marriage I would agree with you. I do not agree with you when it comes to frivolous things such as films. I was talking to a Star Trek fan at work a few weeks ago and he mentioned that Deep Space Nine was the worst Star Trek series without backing up his opinion. Should I have aggressively interrogated him and forced him to compare everything he didn't like to the other series? Should I then have "torn down and torched" his argument if his responses didn't satisfy me? Of course not, so why should we behave any differently on these forums?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:07 AM   #544
BillJ
Admiral

Should I have aggressively interrogated him and forced him to compare everything he didn't like to the other series? Should I then have "torn down and torched" his argument if his responses didn't satisfy me? Of course not, so why should we behave any differently on these forums?
No.

But if someone is unable to share details on why they think the way they think, I usually disregard the opinion entirely.
Old September 19 2013, 04:12 AM   #545
Opus
Commodore

Casual conversation is one thing. The boards are discussion based. Citing examples and whatnot certainly helps whatever position you hold. Just sayin'...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:12 AM   #546
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
If someone is posting their opinion on some important political issue like universal health care or gay marriage I would agree with you. I do not agree with you when it comes to frivolous things such as films. I was talking to a Star Trek fan at work a few weeks ago and he mentioned that Deep Space Nine was the worst Star Trek series without backing up his opinion. Should I have aggressively interrogated him and forced him to compare everything he didn't like to the other series? Should I then have "torn down and torched" his argument if his responses didn't satisfy me? Of course not, so why should we behave any differently on these forums?
Public forums, you don't get to say that everyone has to play the game your way. If you don't want to back up your opinion one can force you. However, people have the equal right to tear into it, and you can't force them to not to do so. When you slam something for something the rest of the franchise has done for decades, people are going to call BS and they're going to counter it and push for you to back your opinion.

You set the level of engagement, the same as the rest of us do. If you don't like defending your opinion, then don't.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:24 AM   #547
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I loved several parts of Star Trek Into Darkness very much. But I refuse to be specific about why I loved them or what they were.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:26 AM   #548
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

And...?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:27 AM   #549
BillJ
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I loved several parts of Star Trek Into Darkness very much. But I refuse to be specific about why I loved them or what they were.
Strong building blocks for a great discussion!
Old September 19 2013, 04:52 AM   #550
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yep, this is a discussion board. If you post something, be it negative or positive, it will be discussed. Participation in that discussion is up to you.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:56 AM   #551
Opus
Commodore

If Gene were alive, he would mandate that in the future humanity no longer needs 'discussions'. It would be as unnecessary as gold, and the Columbia House Record and Tape Club.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old September 19 2013, 05:20 AM   #552
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Also, everyone would be naked.
Old September 19 2013, 05:22 AM   #553
Opus
Commodore

Well, that goes without saying.

Although I do miss being able to get a hundred albums for a nickel...
Old September 19 2013, 06:15 AM   #554
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
If Orci didn't want to deal with over-critical fans, many of whom actively worked on keeping the franchise alive for decades, judging his work, maybe he should work on reviving a different franchise. Maybe the Transformers? Spiderman?
That doesn't mean he has to put up with &^% from these fans (or anybody).
Orci can respond, of course. However, he ought not be surprised or offended by criticism from dedicated fandom. He would need to anticipate the same hesitation and suspicion if he were reimagining Shakespeare or Wagner, two other areas in which there is a built in and very opinionated audience. Added to that is the lore of fan involvement in making Trek a franchise with a long life. Saying that he is approaching things de novo--which is highly debateable--won't win his critics over.
Orci should have to put up with some criticism after all he can dish it out. But he doesn't have to put up with verbal abuse or personal attacks if thats what was happening.
he should be as protected from personal attacks as we are here on this or any other well moderated board.

A celebrity in my country nearly took desperate measures when she was constantly attacked on her (I think) twitter account. People were telling her to kill herself and to die when she hadn't done anything criminally or morally wrong. Just (perhaps foolishly) revealed too much of her inner self.

And now Orci doesn't have to put up with it as he is no longer interacting with the fans. Who suffers now - not him. The people who were enjoying the tweets and posts.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:36 AM   #555
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Um... okay, so where do I fit in? I don't care for big dumb Hollywood action flix, but I'm just fine with forgetting about the Trek spinoiffs (I'm quite happy to forget VOY and ENT).
Conscientious objector?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Decades of continuity from Star Trek spinoffs, derivative series created by other people. It should be thrown out.
Why? Range, variety and depth are not necessarily negative things for a fictional universe.