Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old September 16 2013, 07:05 PM   #106
tighr
Commodore

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Kind of. I mean Murray had 20 carries for 86 yards last week. That is decent but it was a very workmanlike performance. It certainly wasn't scary enough to have the Chiefs focusing on him. The bright spots for the Cowboys last week were Austin and Witten getting 10 catches each while Dez was blanketed.
Murray also had 8 catches for 39 yards.
Old September 17 2013, 12:37 PM   #107
Use of Time
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Kind of. I mean Murray had 20 carries for 86 yards last week. That is decent but it was a very workmanlike performance. It certainly wasn't scary enough to have the Chiefs focusing on him. The bright spots for the Cowboys last week were Austin and Witten getting 10 catches each while Dez was blanketed.
Murray also had 8 catches for 39 yards.
Great, but it still means that Dallas hasn't changed any offensive philospohy with Callahan calling plays now. They are still a pass happy team that will live and die with the arm of Tony Romo. Murray was expected to take something off of Romo's plate this year and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Old September 18 2013, 10:55 PM   #108
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Tomorrow is not only Andy Reid returning to Philly, but Donovan McNabb having his jersey retired. I think both players will get cheers with some boos as well (Reid likely will be slightly louder, but I could see people consciously cheering McNabb louder to drown out the people who will be booing). For Reid, of course, it's just a one time thing. It's hard to boo an opposing coach during a game, but if does anything to draw attention to himself, he will be booed then.

Both people brought great times to Philly, but it was also clear by the time they left that they weren't going to be able to repeat their success and it was time for a change. It's cool that they're both there on the same day, though.
Old September 18 2013, 11:39 PM   #109
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

The Browns just traded Trent Richardson for the Colts' next first round draft pick.

And this is why the Browns are in a permanent state of rebuilding.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old September 19 2013, 12:08 AM   #110
Davros
Fleet Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
The Browns just traded Trent Richardson for the Colts' next first round draft pick.

They need Bernie Kosar back.
Old September 19 2013, 12:45 AM   #111
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I just saw that.

Man they're giving up on the season early.

Brandon Weeden is hurt, so they might have to start Jason Campbell. Good Lord....
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 19 2013, 02:15 AM   #112
tighr
Commodore

Woooo!

Roll Tide, and go Big Blue! Best news ever for my two favorite teams!
Old September 19 2013, 03:18 AM   #113
chrisspringob
Commodore

Wasn't Richardson their best player....who they drafted #3 overall just a year ago? And they've given up on him already, for what'll likely be just a mid-first round pick in the 2014 draft?

Seems pretty dumb. Though maybe they're looking to challenge Jacksonville for 0-16, so they can draft #1 overall this time.

[Also, they've named Brian Hoyer their started QB for Sunday, not Jason Campbell.]

EDIT: Cleveland even hosts Jacksonville this season, on Dec. 1. They'll be playing for the #1 draft pick!

Last edited by chrisspringob; September 19 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old September 19 2013, 03:40 AM   #114
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

Mark Schlereth tweeted that's like punting on first down.
Old September 19 2013, 04:23 AM   #115
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Wasn't Richardson their best player....who they drafted #3 overall just a year ago? And they've given up on him already, for what'll likely be just a mid-first round pick in the 2014 draft?

Seems pretty dumb. Though maybe they're looking to challenge Jacksonville for 0-16, so they can draft #1 overall this time.

[Also, they've named Brian Hoyer their started QB for Sunday, not Jason Campbell.]

EDIT: Cleveland even hosts Jacksonville this season, on Dec. 1. They'll be playing for the #1 draft pick!
One theory I've read is that this is a sign that the new management is going into full-blown rebuild (?) mode and plan to redo everything... including replace their QB (that's right- Weeden, the other first round pick from the same year, might be out the door as well). Having 2 first round picks, including one that's potentially pretty high might be enough to trade up into great position to grab a high-value QB.

Seems like they're throwing the baby out with the bath water. You don't rebuild a roster by chucking the best players first.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old September 19 2013, 04:31 AM   #116
Neroon
Mod of balance

But those players may well be the only way you can position yourself as necessary... or at least have a chance to. Trust me... I am no Browns fan, and Richardson seems pretty great to me.... but this is just me trying to understand why the Browns management are doing what they are doing. Even so... that fanbase may only have so much patience and forgiveness in them
- Proverbs 12:20
Old September 19 2013, 04:39 AM   #117
chrisspringob
Commodore

One theory I've read is that this is a sign that the new management is going into full-blown rebuild (?) mode and plan to redo everything... including replace their QB (that's right- Weeden, the other first round pick from the same year, might be out the door as well). Having 2 first round picks, including one that's potentially pretty high might be enough to trade up into great position to grab a high-value QB.
Weeden was a late first round pick who has been playing poorly, and is 29 years old. So giving up on him doesn't seem so odd, if there are indeed some quality 1st round QBs for the taking in the 2014 draft (though of course that decision doesn't have to be made until the season is over). It's giving up on Richardson as well (and doing it now, two games into the season) that makes this so strange. Again, unless they're deliberately trying to make the team as bad as possible so they can draft #1 overall.
Old September 20 2013, 04:55 AM   #118
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

The Chiefs move to 3-0. Was that 5 turnovers by Philly?

Alex Smith and Andy Reid seem to have found a home.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 20 2013, 03:45 PM   #119
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

The Chiefs look pretty good this year and Alex Smith is performing better than I ever expected.

Maybe I jinxed Vick by starting him in fantasy over RGIII. He played awful.
Old September 20 2013, 08:21 PM   #120
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, please don't do that again

Vick has never been great at decision-making and our offensive line played poorly (the KC defensive line is pretty good). Combining those factors and there was a recipe for turnovers (plus a whole lot of near-interceptions and batted down passes). I don't ever recommend starting Vick simply because you never know which Vick you'll get.