Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 19 2013, 03:10 AM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Are we forgetting why Spock is a great character?

Yanks wrote: View Post

The worst part is that "Spock phone home" moment meant absolutely nothing. You can remove it and it changes nothing about the rest of the movie.
Maybe. But it still ends up being a small bit of fun.
Old September 19 2013, 03:32 AM   #77
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

The worst part is that "Spock phone home" moment meant absolutely nothing. You can remove it and it changes nothing about the rest of the movie.
Maybe. But it still ends up being a small bit of fun.

I like Spoony's take on that scene [34 minute mark, warning: language]

Is the scene needed? No. But it's a bit of misdirection too, cause you think they're setting up for Spock to be the one to die.
Old September 19 2013, 03:32 AM   #78
Yanks
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You can remove it and it changes nothing about the rest of the movie.
No.

Old January 1 2014, 09:26 PM   #79
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

I thought Spock and Kirk's deaths where both sad but Spock's was harder for me. I have seen someone die and he's death got to my heart.
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 09:46 PM   #80
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I know there are reasons for Spock's emotionalism in nuTrek but I still liked it better in TOS.

Sure Spock was plenty emotional in TOS. All that had to happen was Kirk get in danger or be angry with him. But it was more subtle over 79 episodes and so much more rewarding when you got to see it.

Sometimes when you see nuTrek Spock you just think its just inevitable he's going to go ballistic at some point. You never thought that about Nimoy Spock (except in Amok Time, This Side of Paradise, The Naked Time, Mirror Mirror - well OK quite a few times LOL)
Again, though, unique situation here. Nimoy's Spock never had to deal with the annihilation of his people, the obliteration of his home planet, or the death of his mother when he was much younger. All of this happened at once for Spock, and I think in the movies he's still sorting it all out.
While I understand the reasons why nuSpock is more emotional than TOS Spock, it's not something I really care for. Same thing with nuKirk having no father thus being even more rebellious and such when he was younger. I don't care for any of that. I'd like to see Kirk and Spock as they were in their prime because I find that dynamic much more interesting and rewarding. After two films in a row, it would be refreshing to see Pine and Quinto playing the characters at their peak. There might not be a lot of films left for this cast (at this rate, a hypothetical sixth movie would be released in 2025, unless the cast loves Trek that much and wants to keep making more beyond a fourth film, I can't see that happen), so I'd like it for these movies to get past the growing pains for these characters instead of holding onto the frat boy Kirk and emo Spock.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 02:05 AM   #81
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

I would to see them grow into how we see them in the old Treks as well I think that would be so cool!!!!!
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 02:31 AM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
There might not be a lot of films left for this cast (at this rate, a hypothetical sixth movie would be released in 2025, unless the cast loves Trek that much and wants to keep making more beyond a fourth film, I can't see that happen),
I thought the plan was just to do a trilogy?
Old January 2 2014, 03:21 AM   #83
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Yeah - that's right! It's kind of like those old, butt-rocker bands that say that're going to "retire" with a FareWell Tour, then when that's finished, they start right back up, again. There's no end to it. And with STAR TREK ... there's all that popcorn at stake.
Old January 2 2014, 03:21 AM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
There might not be a lot of films left for this cast (at this rate, a hypothetical sixth movie would be released in 2025, unless the cast loves Trek that much and wants to keep making more beyond a fourth film, I can't see that happen),
Apparently, at least Chris Pine was signed for four movies.
Old January 2 2014, 03:32 AM   #85
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

For all the problems of NuTrek, Spock showing emotion is not one of them. Spock is one of the few things that works about NuTrek.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 04:02 AM   #86
The Wormhole
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
For all the problems of NuTrek, Spock showing emotion is not one of them. Spock is one of the few things that works about NuTrek.
I don't know. In TOS seeing Spock be emotionless was one of the things that made the character, well, fascinating. It's his defining trait which seems to be ignored.

Yes, there are canonical precedents to explain this, and indeed we did see him in his younger days of the Prime Universe prone to grinning and shouting outbursts. But if I were to present TOS to a new audience, emotionless Spock would be the representation of the character I would present as I feel that is more interesting a character to watch and learn about then someone who is "young and emotionally raw" the Abrams series depicts.
Old January 2 2014, 04:22 AM   #87
MakeshiftPython
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
When did anyone ever say it was planned as a trilogy? I keep seeing this idea pop up in message boards, but I have never heard anything official about it. I hope it's not just a trilogy, because that's kind of lame and unimaginative. Plus, it would be a shame if the series were to end at #3, just when they started their five year mission. And why should it end at #3? Because trilogies have become a thing after Star Wars?
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 04:35 AM   #88
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Totally disagree. I think Pine works as Kirk, but after two films, I find Quinto's passive-aggressive Spock far too annoying to be endearing. He's looks like a young Nimoy, but he's missing that alien mystique; he just seems like a passive-aggressive human, and an overly-emotional one at that. I actually think Cumberbatch would have made a good Spock; his Sherlock is a more Spock-like character than Quinto's Spock.
Old January 2 2014, 04:56 AM   #89
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Agenda wrote: View Post
There have been many defenses made of Spock's emotional displays in both STID and the 2009 film. Even if I agreed that these displays are fully justified given the plot, I wouldn't agree that this version of the character is nearly as interesting as the one we've come to know over the past 45+ years.
"Interesting" is so 1960s. The question for any part of the Hollywood remake industry is how to make the character profitable. Yes it was cool and all that the original Spock was all, like, weird and alien and stuff... but does today's teen really get that? Or want that? Played as more of a repressed nerd with anger issues and elf ears, he really gets at the emerging "emo" market. Plus you can sell it to the fandom as a call-out to all those times in old Trek where Spock lost his s**t. It's win-win.
Old January 2 2014, 02:27 PM   #90
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Correct, my mistake.

So why did Commander Spock lead Khan back to Earth?
Correct my mistake, and you make it again ? That's weird.