Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 19 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Gojira
Commodore

Seasons 1 & 2.

I am working my way through all of TNG on DVD (after watching TOS) and I know some complain that the first two seasons are not the best. But I have found that they really are not that bad and do not deserve the bad rap they often get. I have found many episodes that I really enjoy.
Old September 19 2013, 02:30 AM   #2
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Seasons 1 & 2.

I don't think they're terrible...it's just that in Season 3, the show really hits its stride. Season 2 in particular has a lot of good stuff. Season 1 can be pretty spotty.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:47 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's really season 1 that's bad. I can only think of a handful of episodes in that season I really like. The worst thing I can say about season 2 is that it's not as good as seasons 3-5, but it did have a lot of gems in it.
Old September 19 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I prefer the feel of the early seasons to the later ones, if not the individual stories.
Old September 19 2013, 03:27 AM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I prefer the feel of the early seasons to the later ones, if not the individual stories.
I feel the same way, particularly in the furnishings of the ship, alot of which dissapered after season 2, and the music, which was much more "melodic" than later on.

And, to be honest, alot of the episodes weren't THAT bad.

I still wish that we hadn't lost Tasha Yar, despite what that did for Worf. And, I'm still glad we lost Pulaski and got Crusher back though.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:05 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Season 1 and 2 have some good episodes here and there, especially season 2. And although I think the later seasons were much better, I liked how in seasons 1-2 they stuck to the 'One ship alone exploring deep space' theme of the original.

The problem with season 1 was they basically had really stupid premises, they were overly committed to making Wesley the wonderkid, and they had a really one dimensional approach to characterization in general, making all the aliens seem like idiots and most of the cast seem ancillary.

(And the set designers liked dry ice way too much).

They were basically still trying to be TOS only had no idea what worked about TOS.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:09 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I consider seasons one and two of TNG the best of all Modern Trek (1987-2005).
Old September 19 2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Gojira
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Season 1 and 2 have some good episodes here and there, especially season 2. And although I think the later seasons were much better, I liked how in seasons 1-2 they stuck to the 'One ship alone exploring deep space' theme of the original.

The problem with season 1 was they basically had really stupid premises, they were overly committed to making Wesley the wonderkid, and they had a really one dimensional approach to characterization in general, making all the aliens seem like idiots and most of the cast seem ancillary.

(And the set designers liked dry ice way too much).

They were basically still trying to be TOS only had no idea what worked about TOS.
As a big fan of TOS season 1 does really feel like TOS in many ways. I noticed that most in the set of the planets they visited.
Old September 19 2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Chensams
Vice Admiral

I'm rewatching them as well and I was surprised that season 1 and 2 weren't as bad as I remembered them, particularly season 2. Now they had their share of stinkers, but for the most part, the seasons were pretty good.
Old September 19 2013, 01:22 PM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

When I watch seasons 1 and 2 I enjoy them, but that's because I know which episodes to skip.

I don't have to sit through Naked Now, Code of Honor, Haven, Lonely Among Us, We'll Always Have Paris, Justice...
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Makarov
Commander

When I watch seasons 1 and 2 I enjoy them, but that's because I know which episodes to skip.

I don't have to sit through Naked Now, Code of Honor, Haven, Lonely Among Us, We'll Always Have Paris, Justice...
But We'll Always Have Paris is one of the best s1 eps I like that one.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I like all of those except Code of Honor.
Old September 19 2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Gojira
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post

I like all of those except Code of Honor.

Code of Honor is like a bad TOS episode. Oh, and I do like the episode "Justice." It is strange but I do like it.
Old September 19 2013, 08:52 PM   #14
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I know this is such a minor thing, but I wonder if the crew had the Season 3 and beyond uniforms in Seasons 1 and 2, if those seasons would have been better. There are some classic episodes in both those seasons, worthy to be called some of the best that TNG had to offer.
Old September 19 2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I've been working through seasons one and two here recently myself - while season one has some major clunkers, season two for the most part is really quite good. While I like Diana Muldaur's Pulaski, I do find myself missing Beverly.

One of the biggest things that stands out in seasons one and two as well to me is the lighting. I think they used a lot more amber gels, IIRC.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote