Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

View Poll Results: I think the M/AM reaction of TOS Enterprise takes place in...
the nacelles 20 41.67%
a secondary-hull reactor 17 35.42%
somewhere else or in some combination 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18 2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Ginger
Cadet

Re: Where's the M/AM reaction in TOS Enterprise?

I voted in the nacelles; because that's what I always thought when I was watching it growing up. What I saw gave me the distinct impression that the antimatter pods (which presumably contain the antimatter), the reactor and the warp apparatus were all in the nacelles. Why else would the Jefferies tube be at an angle? It goes up the nacelle pylons to get to the warp reactor.

When I got older I thought that maybe it was a bit more like the NX class (although this was way back in the 90's, well before ENT), except the reactor was really big so they had built it under the floor.

But thinking about it again now, I see no reason for it not to be like Matt Jefferies originally intended. I can even buy (just) the big red V8 powered by lightning we saw in TAS (can't think of the episode right now) being the warp reactor.

There could well be a third reactor, perhaps powering the rest of the ship when the engines are on tickover, but I'm not sure - that seems a bit convoluted. Surely impulse (i.e. fusion) powers the rest of the ship.

I think that the Engine Room we saw on screen is either right in front of the impulse deck (making the big triangle tube setup part of the impulse reactor), or in the secondary hull, about where the new cargo bay was in TMP (making the tubes some sort of power converter, perhaps taking excess warp power and converting it to mains electricity).

I don't think that it is akin to the warp control monitoring room from the Enterprise D for a couple of reasons: a)they'd be in a fairly inaccessible place, b)they'd be duplicated in each nacelle and c) there is a corridor outside that can't fit in the nacelles.

That said, I have no problem with there being more than one engine room, perhaps having an impulse one and a warp one. you'd just have to explain which you wanted to the turbo lift each time.

Last edited by Ginger; September 18 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Finishing an unfinished train of thought
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 11:46 PM   #47
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Where's the M/AM reaction in TOS Enterprise?

Ginger wrote: View Post
I don't think that it is akin to the warp control monitoring room from the Enterprise D for a couple of reasons: a)they'd be in a fairly inaccessible place, b)they'd be duplicated in each nacelle and c) there is a corridor outside that can't fit in the nacelles.
The nacelles were about 60 feet across, not that much room.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote