RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,849
Posts: 5,328,115
Members: 24,552
Currently online: 702
Newest member: SpammetySpam

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 18 2013, 03:59 AM   #16
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

teacake wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
THIS is a fascinating summary of everything we learn on Enterprise's season 2 bluray extras. I'm happy with my DVDs, so this is the first I've heard of a lot of this.
A not-Braga producer (Berman?) upset Bakula during the pilot shoot when he told Bakula that Star Trek captains can’t bleed.
Say what? I'm remembering some fine bloody stripes on Kirk.

Maybe this is why Archer had to make up for such malarkey by getting beat up a lot?
Remember this is TNG-era Gene Roddenberry, not TOS Gene. TNG Gene's outlook changed quite a lot. Berman was always trying to stop and think about WWGD (What Would Gene Do) in the way he ran the franchise. He says so on one of the TNG Blu-ray documentaries and on Rod Rodenberry's doc TrekNation.

He had a bust of Gene in his office and he'd blindfold it as a symbol when he would give in and approve something he didn't think Gene would like.

http://weminoredinfilm.files.wordpre...-blindfold.jpg

I bet that blindfold was on a lot for Ira Steven Behr's meetings

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; September 18 2013 at 04:14 AM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:06 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

Oh wow, did not know that. Thanks for that hilarious pic, NEEDS CAPTION! LOL.

So did Picard never bleed?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:14 AM   #18
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

teacake wrote: View Post
So did Picard never bleed?
Not that I can recall.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:26 AM   #19
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
So did Picard never bleed?
Not that I can recall.
Yes he did. And apparently it hurt so good:

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 09:12 AM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

^Ah, but he was technically a mere cadet back then. Cadets bleed real good - just ask Peter Preston.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:06 PM   #21
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

I cannot wrap my head around some of Roddenberry's edicts. No bleeding for Captains? OH they can DIE if their ship blows up, but blood only for the lowly ones? Who aren't totally unprotected by these ideas since they can also die when stuff blows up but they cannot lose both legs. Okay maybe the leg deal is about gore but what the heck is the bleeding captain deal about?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:08 PM   #22
MrPointy
Commander
 
MrPointy's Avatar
 
Location: Darwin, NT
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

Braga says his favorite episode is 1.13, “Dear Doctor.” He also liked 1.16, “Shuttlepod One,” and 2.14, the AIDS allegory “Stigma.”
This explains everything.
__________________
“If like the leaf of the wisteria through which the sun darts his rays transparently you give your heart to me, I will no longer distrust you.” -- Lieutenant Worf
MrPointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 06:43 PM   #23
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
THIS
Black says it was frustrating to the writing staff “that we never got to kill anybody.” He says people got killed in “The Right Stuff” and that’s how the sense of danger was conveyed.
I actually think that the lack of red-shirt deaths in the first 2 seasons was one of the best things ENT did, It made season 3 so much better and actually brought a sense of real loss to Star Trek which never really existed before due to how casual death was treated in the other shows.
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

Yanks wrote: View Post
Not sure if purchasing the Blu-ray version of Enterprise is worth it just to get the extras.

For those of you that have them, is the picture quality a marked improvement?
Anyone?
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

The reviews I've read have all noted that the picture quality is an improvement over the DVDs -- but not a massive improvement, especially when it comes to the visual effects.

The extras sound interesting, but they're certainly not worth the current price. I'll wait for them to go on massive sale in a few years.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 09:03 PM   #26
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

Harvey wrote: View Post
The reviews I've read have all noted that the picture quality is an improvement over the DVDs -- but not a massive improvement, especially when it comes to the visual effects.

The extras sound interesting, but they're certainly not worth the current price. I'll wait for them to go on massive sale in a few years.
I think I'm in the same boat. Especially since seasons 3 & 4 were filmed in HD.

Thanks.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:03 PM   #27
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
THIS
Black says it was frustrating to the writing staff “that we never got to kill anybody.” He says people got killed in “The Right Stuff” and that’s how the sense of danger was conveyed.
I actually think that the lack of red-shirt deaths in the first 2 seasons was one of the best things ENT did, It made season 3 so much better and actually brought a sense of real loss to Star Trek which never really existed before due to how casual death was treated in the other shows.
Since this is early days for earth I bet a bunch of red shirt deaths would have jeopardized the program. They are supposed to be explorers and every death would be a shocking failure.

How many Enterprise personnel die during TOS?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:55 AM   #28
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

Yanks wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The reviews I've read have all noted that the picture quality is an improvement over the DVDs -- but not a massive improvement, especially when it comes to the visual effects.

The extras sound interesting, but they're certainly not worth the current price. I'll wait for them to go on massive sale in a few years.
I think I'm in the same boat. Especially since seasons 3 & 4 were filmed in HD.

Thanks.
That's inaccurate. If you mean shot with HD digital cameras, then it's only Season 4.

All other seasons were shot with 35mm film (which can have far more detail than HD) and scanned into 1080p, so they're also HD.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:02 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

There's no way I'm buying all of Trek on blu-ray having just finished buying it all on dvd's 5 years ago.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:55 AM   #30
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The reviews I've read have all noted that the picture quality is an improvement over the DVDs -- but not a massive improvement, especially when it comes to the visual effects.

The extras sound interesting, but they're certainly not worth the current price. I'll wait for them to go on massive sale in a few years.
I think I'm in the same boat. Especially since seasons 3 & 4 were filmed in HD.

Thanks.
That's inaccurate. If you mean shot with HD digital cameras, then it's only Season 4.

All other seasons were shot with 35mm film (which can have far more detail than HD) and scanned into 1080p, so they're also HD.


Thanks for the correction.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.