Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 18 2013, 02:57 AM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

I could've sworn Brown was the last name listed in the main cast.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:10 AM   #47
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ The series only has 4 main cast members: Tom Mison, Nicole Beharie, Orlando Jones, and Katia Winter.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:13 AM   #48
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I could've sworn Brown was the last name listed in the main cast.
He was.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:38 AM   #49
Christopher
Writer

I just double-checked via On Demand, and Aragorn and DigificWriter are correct.

Starring Tom Mison
Nicole Beharie
Orlando Jones
Katia Winter
Guest Star John Cho
Nestor Serrano
and Clancy Brown
So I got confused.

Old September 18 2013, 04:25 AM   #50
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The creators have openly for months said that the fairy tale is not know
N in the TV show. I don't get the problem.
Old September 18 2013, 04:31 AM   #51
Christopher
Writer

^It's not a "problem," it's a topic to discuss and speculate about. This being a discussion board, there would only be a problem if we didn't have a topic to discuss.

Old September 18 2013, 05:19 AM   #52
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

According to an interview with co-creator Philip Iscove, we possibly haven't seen the last of John Cho's character despite what happens to him in the closing moments of the pilot.

AX: Is John Cho’s character coming back?
ISCOVE: I don’t want to say a hundred percent, but yes, I believe that he’s coming back.

Old September 18 2013, 05:30 AM   #53
propita
Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who jumped when the demon in the mirror broke the mirror? I thought the spliced shots were well done.

Wasn't fond of the Horseman's use of a gun. I don't know, just damaged that to me. And why didn't Crane grab the Horseman's axe and whack at him with it?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 05:44 AM   #54
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Wasn't fond of the Horseman's use of a gun. I don't know, just damaged that to me.
Oh, come on. That was one of the best parts of the episode and its absurdly awesome premise and concept. As said by Wired,
If I had to point to the exact moment that I knew Sleepy Hollow was going to be my favorite new show of the year, I’m pretty sure it would be the scene where the Headless Horseman whipped out an assault rifle and tried to gun down Ichabod Crane in slow motion.
That’s the great thing about the pilot for the show, which premiered on FOX last night: It’s well aware that its premise — taking that 1820 Washington Irving story about the folly of superstition and wrenching it into the modern day for a mismatched buddy cop serial about secret covens dueling over the apocalypse through a series of X-Files-esque unsolved mysteries — is ridiculous to the point of being laughable. Structurally, the whole first episode is an exercise in stacking one handy plot contrivance on top of another until they’ve built a foundation for the series that almost majestic in its fragility, held together purely by the Scotch tape of the cast’s likability, and how fun its ideas are
The Headless Horseman wielding an assault rifle is freaking brilliant.

Old September 18 2013, 10:42 AM   #55
DWF
Vice Admiral

And, of course, Star Trek takes place in a future where there was no Star Trek TV series revolutionizing mass-media science fiction in the 1960s. I sometimes wonder what the Trek-universe media landscape in the 20th century would've been. Without the precedent of ST's success in syndication, George Lucas might not have been able to convince investors that the space adventure movie he wanted to make in the mid-'70s could turn a profit. And without TNG's success, would the first-run syndicated SF/fantasy boom of the '90s ever have happened?

Maybe that's why the only 20th-century sci-fi we've ever heard about in the Trek universe is the '40s Captain Proton serials...
No, you have Alan Ladd to thank for Star Wars not Star Trek, he was the only one who believed in Lucas not the script nor the concept.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:01 PM   #56
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

And, of course, Star Trek takes place in a future where there was no Star Trek TV series revolutionizing mass-media science fiction in the 1960s. I sometimes wonder what the Trek-universe media landscape in the 20th century would've been. Without the precedent of ST's success in syndication, George Lucas might not have been able to convince investors that the space adventure movie he wanted to make in the mid-'70s could turn a profit. And without TNG's success, would the first-run syndicated SF/fantasy boom of the '90s ever have happened?

Maybe that's why the only 20th-century sci-fi we've ever heard about in the Trek universe is the '40s Captain Proton serials...
I like to think the 'show' Galaxy Quest was the inspiration for Lucas and the sci-fi revolution.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:57 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I like to think the 'show' Galaxy Quest was the inspiration for Lucas and the sci-fi revolution.
Doesn't work. According to the film's backstory, Galaxy Quest ran from 1979-1982. It probably took several years to accumulate enduring popularity in syndication, like Trek did.

However, according to the GQ Wiki, the show was made using sets and props left over from an earlier space movie as a money-saving move. So one has to wonder what that earlier movie was. I wonder if that's a nod toward the (inaccurate) perception that Battlestar Galactica -- which debuted in 1978 -- was just a copy of Star Wars. Maybe that earlier movie was what took the place of SW in the GQ universe. But then, what inspired that movie?

Old September 18 2013, 03:29 PM   #58
bbailey861
Admiral

The wife and I caught this on the PVR and watched it last night. We were very surprised that Clancy Brown's character got 'whacked' so early on. Both of us are big fans of his so we are hoping Christopher's thoughts above are correct. We were also surprised to see the the Reverend's quick death as well. The pacing appears so quick here. I would not have guessed that they would have uncovered the head of the headless horseman so quickly. We're both looking forward to see how this progresses.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:35 PM   #59
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

As soon as I say Clancy Brown I knew he'd be dead. Pilots have that way of having an actor you know and killing them off, but he died even sooner than I thought.
Old September 18 2013, 05:41 PM   #60
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Anyone catch the cheesy plug on bones for the show?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote