RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,650
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 597
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old September 18 2013, 01:08 PM   #91
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile
Re: Just seen the last episode... I'm outrage!

They should have ended it, right after Riker and Troi say to end program, with Daniels in a more futuristic holodeck, his Xindi Reptilian wife by his side, saying, "End program."
Old September 18 2013, 01:33 PM   #92
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Chensams wrote: View Post
Trip's death served NO purpose at all. Just terrible writing.
"Trip was always my favorite character on the show and I wanted to kill him." Braga said. "I can't give you a coherent response. We wanted to do something that had emotional impact and had consequences, which is something we were never allowed to do."
So you see, there WAS a purpose... It just failed at it. Miserably. In fact, Braga achieved just the opposite of what he intended.

Trip dies, and Malcolm, Hoshi and the other guy bitch about lousy seats?
Old September 18 2013, 02:42 PM   #93
Trek
Fleet Captain

This is the episode I use to prove that the only people who had "franchise fatigue" were Braga and Berman - the sloppiness of the whole thing shows that they just weren't prepared to put any effort in anymore.

It's a stark contrast to any episode in the shows last season, where the writers were obviously enjoying what they were doing.
Twitter: @Trek88
Old September 18 2013, 02:42 PM   #94
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Yanks wrote: View Post
#1. Troi and Riker are in Engineering and we hear Troi say: It's sad. Commander Tucker had no idea he wouldn't make it back. . Now WTF! :grr: If you are writing the last Star Trek episode EVER, and have planned out the death of a major cast member (one of the "big three" to boot), why on earth would you give it away to the fans there? I'll tell you why... a slap in the face, TNG's "better", that's why... It's hard to explain how mad I got when she said that.
It was an awful way to do it, as it takes away whatever "impact" his death was supposed to have had, but was probably meant to get viewers questioning the what, when, how and why?

#2. 6 years into the future and everyone is the same rank? WTF??
Apparantly for a crew that's supposed to be the most experienced and best out there they don't do anything to warrant promotion. It was really annoying, like we couldn't wrap our heads around a few promotions here and there.

#3. The fact that Trip and T'Pol don't end up together. I was hoping when we were 6 years in the future that they had become married. It would have been nice to have the right closure to their relationship. All we get is T'POL: However long it may be, I believe I'm going to miss you.
There relationship was probably one of the best things ENT did, and then to have nothing at all come from it was really irritating--they could have been strangers.

#4. T'Pol's make up and hair. She just looked unhealthy and overdone. They had her looks right in season three. I'm not fond of her final "development". She had this issue for me during most of season four, but it's much worse in TATV.
I would have thought that after six years T'Pol would finally be ordered into a proper uniform--get some professionalism on the Bridge.

#5. Trip's death. I'm mean really. We've fast forwarded 6 year's in the future and the crew that saved earth from the Xindi attack and survived countless other death defying situations can't detect and stop a couple bad guys from boarding? Where was everyone else? Conner's acting was very good once again, but for what? There they go putting Archer up on a pedestal again.
His death was totally unneeded. Surely Archer's sacrifice for his friend would have been of bigger impact (plus it would get rid of a terrible character).

#6. Archer's speech to the Alliance. The entire series Daniel and company have gone out of their way to keep Archer alive, because HE is the ONLY ONE that can give birth to the Federation; his presence and speech are the bedrock to everything and what... we don't get to hear the speech?
Probably a good thing though. Bakula doesn’t have the acting chops to pull off big speeches (Sir Patrick Stewart he most surely is not). Any time they had Archer pontificate I cringed, he just wasn’t convincing.

Big fat make up caked give the plot away Deanna (an alien) has to memorize this historic speech in grammar school and we don't get to hear it.
Deanna may be half-alien but she is still a Federation citizen and the foundation of the UFP would be a big thing for them—whether they were involved in the initial creation of the Federation or joined at a later date.

#7. And of course, having the TNG characters close out "our" series. " Computer, end Program" was like a knife in the back.
A better episode that focused on the ENT crew would have been a better end, missing out the holodeck/TNG element entirely. ENT is not my favourite series, but it deserved a better ending than it got—especially as it started to pick up in its last couple of years.
Old September 18 2013, 03:25 PM   #95
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Would people be happier if Archer's speech had been presented for us...and featured gazelles?

(ducks)
Old September 18 2013, 03:44 PM   #96
Gaith
Rear Admiral

#6. Archer's speech to the Alliance. The entire series Daniel and company have gone out of their way to keep Archer alive, because HE is the ONLY ONE that can give birth to the Federation; his presence and speech are the bedrock to everything
Well, that was stupid writing to begin with, and not in keeping with Trek's spirit. And kinda sexist, too. We're really supposed to believe that if Archer had been killed, Hernandez couldn't have seen things through? Bull!

DonIago wrote: View Post
Would people be happier if Archer's speech had been presented for us...and featured gazelles?

(ducks)
Exactly. There's no way the speech could have been anywhere near as good as just hinting at it. Sometimes hinting at something is more artful than actually showing.

I was hoping when we were 6 years in the future that they had become married.
Polly's pretty and all, but I just don't really buy that someone as dynamic as Trip would want to settle down with someone as emotionally closed off as even her. I can buy deeply felt human/Vulcan friendships; romances, not so much.

when Archer stopped, came back down the stairs and gave T'Pol a hug Yanks got all choked up. Full swing of emotions in this one.
The hug was a beautiful moment, period.
Old September 18 2013, 05:03 PM   #97
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Ladies and gents, Gaith has spoken. The "hug" matter is thus concluded.
Old September 18 2013, 07:01 PM   #98
Yanks
Fleet Captain

OK, need a little help here please.

I see this and I don't know how you guys do it. I'm assuming you use the "multi quote" thingy or somthing.

Can you explain how you get the "Yanks wrote (with the right arrow)" at the head of each paragraph?..., or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Last edited by Yanks; September 18 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old September 18 2013, 07:20 PM   #99
BruntFCA
Commander

She just looked unhealthy and overdone.
I remember reading about Blalock having health problems during season 4 but I don't remember where I read it at.
Old September 18 2013, 07:36 PM   #100
Yanks
Fleet Captain

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
She just looked unhealthy and overdone.
I remember reading about Blalock having health problems during season 4 but I don't remember where I read it at.
Yup, she had lost weight if I remember correctly.

...and she didn't have any to lose.
Old September 18 2013, 07:41 PM   #101
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Trek wrote: View Post
This is the episode I use to prove that the only people who had "franchise fatigue" were Braga and Berman - the sloppiness of the whole thing shows that they just weren't prepared to put any effort in anymore.

It's a stark contrast to any episode in the shows last season, where the writers were obviously enjoying what they were doing.
Manny Coto definitely had them on the right track, that's for sure.

To bad the trek faithful didn't flock back and give Enterprise the numbers it needed to stay on the air. (still angry emoticon)
Old September 18 2013, 11:20 PM   #102
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Does anybody know whether TPTB tried to shop ENT around to another tv station? UPN went under in 2005. I think of channels like USA, Scifi, FX, CBS or one of the sister channels. Could ENT have been saved that way?
Old September 19 2013, 12:01 AM   #103
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
See, now? Order is restored, and all are happy.
Old September 19 2013, 02:42 AM   #104
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
See, now? Order is restored, and all are happy.
The hug was faaaaaake!
Old September 19 2013, 03:27 AM   #105
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It was an awful way to do it, as it takes away whatever "impact" his death was supposed to have had, but was probably meant to get viewers questioning the what, when, how and why?
I think it was "we need to kill off a main character"...

Apparantly for a crew that's supposed to be the most experienced and best out there they don't do anything to warrant promotion. It was really annoying, like we couldn't wrap our heads around a few promotions here and there.
It's not just Enterprise. Star Trek has has this issue time and time again. Hell, Harry was an Ensign for 7 years!

There relationship was probably one of the best things ENT did, and then to have nothing at all come from it was really irritating--they could have been strangers.
It was so obvious and well played in Terra Prime, then they just flushed the toilet. They have the creative right to do what they want, but at least throw a bone to the fans and tell them what happened!

I would have thought that after six years T'Pol would finally be ordered into a proper uniform--get some professionalism on the Bridge.
She looked just as fine in a Star Fleet uniform

His death was totally unneeded. Surely Archer's sacrifice for his friend would have been of bigger impact (plus it would get rid of a terrible character).
Now, Archer wasn't bad. My problem is "they" (Daniels) propped him up like he was the second coming or something.

Probably a good thing though. Bakula doesn’t have the acting chops to pull off big speeches (Sir Patrick Stewart he most surely is not). Any time they had Archer pontificate I cringed, he just wasn’t convincing.
Don't agree. He did a great job in Terra Prime.

Deanna may be half-alien but she is still a Federation citizen and the foundation of the UFP would be a big thing for them—whether they were involved in the initial creation of the Federation or joined at a later date.
My point exactly. She had to memorize this speech in grammar school. It could have been too long. We should have heard it.

A better episode that focused on the ENT crew would have been a better end, missing out the holodeck/TNG element entirely. ENT is not my favourite series, but it deserved a better ending than it got—especially as it started to pick up in its last couple of years.
I agree completely. You'd think if they were putting together possible the last TV trek episode ever, it could have at least been a 2-parter.
Closed Thread