RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,538
Posts: 5,513,108
Members: 25,141
Currently online: 442
Newest member: dpmccain

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17 2013, 10:14 PM   #511
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: Orci strikes back

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I think that Lost in Space movie ruined that franchise.
Regardless of how bad the movie was, how do you "ruin" a franchise that hadn't been on the air in thirty years before the movie came out and whose only spin-off up to that point was a failed Saturday morning cartoon pilot in 1972? If anything, you could argue that the movie possibly helped with creating interest in rebooting the TV series in 2003, but unfortunately that pilot wasn't picked up either (which had nothing to do with the movie).
Yes probably a bit of hyperbole there. Maybe I should have said there was probably a lost opportunity there. TV series and movies have a lot of other factors involved.

If the Lost In Space movie had been a greater success then logically you might think there was a greater chance of rebooting a TV series or at least another movie.

I'm also thinking about the Thunderbirds movie. Surely if that had been better received they might have done something about the Thunderbirds.
Agree. If Thunderbirds 2004 film, Lost In Space 1998 film and 2003 pilot had been successful, then those franchises would still be in production.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 10:23 PM   #512
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: Orci strikes back

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Maybe people just don't respond to some things. Lost in Space is best known as the goofy old show where a mincing pedophile would insult a robot. The movie is about space spiders, time bubbles and something vague about families.

Star Trek is best known as the show where Kirk seduces women, Spock is smart and they fight bad guys in space. The movie reproduced that and told a decent story as well.
Dr. Smith was a total coward that would hide behind Will, Penny, Judy and Maureen. However, Smith regularly pursued the alien women that the Robinsons encountered. He even was infatuated with a green woman. I wonder if she was Orion.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:20 AM   #513
ichab
Commodore
 
ichab's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

I understand Orci's response because the complaints aren't simply "I hated it." The complaints have been more along the lines of "that isn't logical" or "that could never happen in real life" or "Where was the fleet when that happened?" It's like a bunch of wanna be writers are trying to give Orci a lesson about good writing and it's laughable.

You could pick apart any of the old movies: I guess it was totally logical for Spock's "living spirit" to be passed from McCoy into a re-generated body or no fleet of any kind to be present when Chang is attacking two federation ships right near a huge galactic conference of alien species.I guess all those delegates just transported there from their own worlds and didn't need ships to take them there or stand by . And of course who can forget Khan remembering Chekov, who wasn't even on the T.V show when Khan made his one and only appearance? I guess all those movies were badly written as well right? Didn't think so

Some people just need to learn to relax and enjoy movies.
__________________
May the force be with you.
ichab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:07 AM   #514
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Orci strikes back

ichab wrote: View Post
I understand Orci's response because the complaints aren't simply "I hated it." The complaints have been more along the lines of "that isn't logical" or "that could never happen in real life" or "Where was the fleet when that happened?" It's like a bunch of wanna be writers are trying to give Orci a lesson about good writing and it's laughable.
So you'd prefer all criticism to be completely devoid of reason and consist entirely of "it sucks" or "I hate it"?
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:16 AM   #515
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Orci strikes back

ichab wrote: View Post
I guess all those movies were badly written as well right? Didn't think so
Uh, the older movies get critized all the time. As does every facet of the entire Trek universe.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:23 PM   #516
ichab
Commodore
 
ichab's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post
I understand Orci's response because the complaints aren't simply "I hated it." The complaints have been more along the lines of "that isn't logical" or "that could never happen in real life" or "Where was the fleet when that happened?" It's like a bunch of wanna be writers are trying to give Orci a lesson about good writing and it's laughable.
So you'd prefer all criticism to be completely devoid of reason and consist entirely of "it sucks" or "I hate it"?
I'd prefer the criticism to be consistent.If you hate the movie because of x,y and z while overlooking the same nitpicks with the previous movies then you're being a hypocrite.. I'd also like people to criticize the movie and know what they are talking about. I shouldn't have to explain simple things like khan transporting from earth to kronos when it's well explained in the movie..
__________________
May the force be with you.
ichab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:41 PM   #517
ichab
Commodore
 
ichab's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post
I understand Orci's response because the complaints aren't simply "I hated it." The complaints have been more along the lines of "that isn't logical" or "that could never happen in real life" or "Where was the fleet when that happened?" It's like a bunch of wanna be writers are trying to give Orci a lesson about good writing and it's laughable.
So you'd prefer all criticism to be completely devoid of reason and consist entirely of "it sucks" or "I hate it"?
I'd prefer the criticism to be consistent.If you hate the movie because of x,y and z while overlooking the same nitpicks with the previous movies then you're being a hypocritethe. I'd also like people to criticize the movie and know what they are talking about. I shouldn't have to explain simple things like khan transporting from earth to kronos when it's well explained in the movie..
__________________
May the force be with you.
ichab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:51 PM   #518
ichab
Commodore
 
ichab's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

Sorry about that. Stupid Droid phone...
__________________
May the force be with you.
ichab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:56 PM   #519
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Orci strikes back

If Orci didn't want to deal with over-critical fans, many of whom actively worked on keeping the franchise alive for decades, judging his work, maybe he should work on reviving a different franchise. Maybe the Transformers? Spiderman?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:36 PM   #520
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain
 
The Cubed Ho's Avatar
 
Location: Foxhot
Re: Orci strikes back

SPIDER-MAN was too recent to be revived and TRANSFORMERS never should have been vived to begin with. At least GRAVITY is original and looks good.
__________________
''The African killer bee is in no way to be confused with the hard-working, industrious American honeybee, which creates abundant honey and pollinates our flowers.''
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:37 PM   #521
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
If Orci didn't want to deal with over-critical fans, many of whom actively worked on keeping the franchise alive for decades, judging his work, maybe he should work on reviving a different franchise. Maybe the Transformers? Spiderman?
That doesn't mean he has to put up with &^% from these fans (or anybody).
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:11 PM   #522
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

ichab wrote: View Post
I'd prefer the criticism to be consistent.If you hate the movie because of x,y and z while overlooking the same nitpicks with the previous movies then you're being a hypocritethe
Why can't the movie (and its praises and criticisms) be judged on its individual merit as opposed to relative to some movie made over 30 years ago?

We can't be expected to footnote every criticism with caveats and acknowledgements of previous movie/series citations.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:12 PM   #523
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
If Orci didn't want to deal with over-critical fans, many of whom actively worked on keeping the franchise alive for decades, judging his work, maybe he should work on reviving a different franchise. Maybe the Transformers?
He already revived Transformers and it was shit.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:16 PM   #524
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Orci strikes back

Shazam! wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post
I'd prefer the criticism to be consistent.If you hate the movie because of x,y and z while overlooking the same nitpicks with the previous movies then you're being a hypocritethe
Why can't the movie (and its praises and criticisms) be judged on its individual merit as opposed to relative to some movie made over 30 years ago?

We can't be expected to footnote every criticism with caveats and acknowledgements of previous movie/series citations.
Let's see how your favourite Trek movie or episodes hold up under the kind of scrutiny Into Darkness is recieving.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:17 PM   #525
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Let's see how your favourite Trek movie or episodes hold up under the kind of scrutiny Into Darkness is recieving.
Why?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.