RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 466
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 18 2013, 12:34 AM   #736
Christopher
Writer

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

My point has been missed. It's not in dispute that Firefly/Serenity's backstory entails Earth being rendered uninhabitable and abandoned. This is made quite clear in the beginning of Serenity. My point is that I don't think this qualifies as an apocalypse because only the planet was lost, not the human species.

Here are the opening lines of Whedon's pre-production memo "A Brief History of the Universe circa 2507 A. D.," reproduced in Serenity: The Official Visual Companion:

Earth-That-Was couldn't handle the growing population and resource needs of humankind. Amazingly enough, instead of wiping itself out, the human race rose to the challenge of finding a new home for the species. A nearby star was located, home to dozens of planets and hundreds of moons, almost all of which had enough mass and solidity to be templates for new earths. Through giant atmosphere processing plants, terraforming technologies, gravity regulation and the introduction of every known form of Earthlife, each planet became its own little (or in some cases, huge) Earth. Every person willing and able to leave the Earth migrated to the new system.
I would call that the exact opposite of an apocalyptic narrative. It's about humanity averting its own destruction through ingenuity and hard work. Not only is the human race not devastated, but it expands and thrives and spreads not only itself, but every other form of Earthly life across hundreds of worlds, essentially guaranteeing the species' immortality. (A disaster could wipe out one world, but hundreds?) It's not a tale of a few straggling refugees escaping a disaster and starting over; it's a tale of the whole of humanity (or most of it, anyway) getting ahead of disaster, avoiding a Malthusian collapse by spreading out and finding new territories and resources. That right there is an anti-apocalypse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:52 AM   #737
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Indeed. Every known form of Earthly life that they could rescue went with them to the new home system.

And it apparently didn't get the Valley Forge treatment along the way, either.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:46 AM   #738
Christopher
Writer

DEWLine wrote: View Post
And it apparently didn't get the Valley Forge treatment along the way, either.
I don't get the reference. The only spaceship named Valley Forge I know of, aside from an Excelsior-class ship in a DS9 episode, was a troop transport in Starship Troopers that got destroyed. Are you just saying that the rescued Earth species survived the trip?

EDIT: Just after I posted, I remembered -- you mean the Valley Forge from Silent Running. I missed that in my web search because I googled "Valley Forge starship," and SR took place within the solar system. Fortunately my brain's internal search engine, rusty though it's becoming now that I've outsourced much of my memory to the Internet, finally kicked in.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:51 AM   #739
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

One! More! Week!
Old September 18 2013, 03:51 PM   #740
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I can't recall the last time I intentionally tuned in to watch a scripted show AS IT AIRED, but I intend to do so next Tuesday.

Life is too busy to park oneself in front of a TV anymore, what with TIVO/DVR's etc.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:12 PM   #741
Dream
Admiral

Anyone else see the new clips from SHIELD during ABC's showing of Iron Man 2 last Tuesday night? The new hacker girl is cute.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 06:40 PM   #742
billcosby
Commodore

Very curious as to what kind of relationship this series will have with the films. There's every reason to think A-list Superheroes will appear on screens at some point, or be the subject of discussion, or appear offscreen during engagements. I would expect to see Samuel J. at least once.

Also, since Black Widow and Hawkeye are human, they're more likely to appear as they would spend the most time with S.H.I.E.L.D.? Eventually, RDJ will have to appear. My guess would be as Tony, not Ironman.

I hope this series is great and that it lasts for a while. It's been a while since a watchable sci-fi series was on broadcast TV.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #743
dansigal
Commander

I wouldn't hold your breath for actual appearances of A-list superheros. I think the show wants to be its own thing and not rely on the popularity of the movies. Every once in awhile MAYBE there might be a cameo from what I read.

That doesn't mean there won't be a heavy tie in with the movies, through reference of events, and cross-over minor characters. I hear fall out from the battle of New York will have something to do with the pilot episode
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 07:34 PM   #744
Relayer1
Commodore

They can CGI Ironman or Hulk in without having to pay any actors or fudge any 'likeness issues'.

What they'd do with a non-speaking appearance is another thing...
Old September 18 2013, 07:55 PM   #745
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Iron Man yes.
However, Ruffalo's Hulk has been done mo-cap with Mark's likeness in the face. So that might(?) be an issue.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 08:18 PM   #746
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I can't see them putting Iron Man in it without getting RDJ along to deliver the snark and attitude that has led to his cinematic version becoming so popular.
Old September 18 2013, 09:49 PM   #747
Relayer1
Commodore

I could see a few 'easter eggs' slipping in - Iron Man taking off and flying away in the background etc.
Old September 18 2013, 10:06 PM   #748
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Actually, and if I had more time I'd try to find the exact quote, Whedon has said words to the effect that they don't want to do the "Iron Man just left, you just missed him" thing, as it would be a cheat to the audience.
Old September 18 2013, 10:10 PM   #749
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Joss I believe has already said that Agents of Shield will be separate from the films. It takes place in-continuity, but I wouldn't expect to see any of the major players in the show at all. Maybe we'll get references to the big guns, but my sense is that this series will be mostly self-contained.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 11:33 PM   #750
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think Samuel L. Jackson has expressed some interest in appearing, but I suspect that's it. From a plausibility-standpoint, I could see Black Widow and Hawkeye, but I doubt Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner will appear, so it's unlikely.

Let's keep in mind that the movie actors don't owe anyone to appear on the television show, so they would be the same as any other big-name guest actor.