IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 17 2013, 02:42 PM   #496
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Now that it's obvious there won't be an announcement today, GB has fallen to wondering why Ian Levine thought there might be. "But wait," you're saying, "didn't he explain that he got it from GB?" Well, yes, he did. But because people are still fixed on the notion that big name fans have secret information, they're declaring that he can't have just gotten it from GB, that he must have heard something else somewhere. Just like three months ago, when even after he confirmed the only "evidence" he'd seen was the shipping ticket people insisted he had to have something else, wouldn't have believed on so flimsy a basis. It's like they know nothing about the man's personality.
Old September 17 2013, 03:07 PM   #497
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Now that it's obvious there won't be an announcement today, GB has fallen to wondering why Ian Levine thought there might be. "But wait," you're saying, "didn't he explain that he got it from GB?" Well, yes, he did. But because people are still fixed on the notion that big name fans have secret information, they're declaring that he can't have just gotten it from GB, that he must have heard something else somewhere. Just like three months ago, when even after he confirmed the only "evidence" he'd seen was the shipping ticket people insisted he had to have something else, wouldn't have believed on so flimsy a basis. It's like they know nothing about the man's personality.
This September 17th thing is a good example of the reinforcement loop that's happening with the Omnirumour.

What starts out as someone's speculation on one BBS gets picked up by other people and passed around on social media and other BBSes, but the fact that it's only speculation gets lost, so that people who don't know the origins of the speculation begin to treat it as fact, whereupon still more sites pick it up and it moves on.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:15 PM   #498
Lonemagpie
Writer

It gets dafter- now we have some nutjob calling for the end to shadowy groups of fans setting out to sabotage and prevent the announcement that fucking everything has been found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DDzPDDAQM

Why do we only cull badgers instead...?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:28 PM   #499
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I feel sorry for Sammi Carter (the "nutjob" cited above). He believes every little thing about it.

allyngibson.net
Old September 17 2013, 05:19 PM   #500
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Someone should consul him when there'll be no announcements made about this.

BTW, Ian Levine's tweets above have all been removed since. Curious, huh?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 11:41 PM   #501
Redfern
Commodore

Isn't this how religions are started?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:27 AM   #502
jbny67
Commander

No, religions are started by science fiction writers, not the fans.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:54 AM   #503
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

At this point, Paul Vanezis appears to be actively trolling rumor believers on Twitter. He started off with this:

"A wonderful evening out with several heroes of Doctor Who. Yes, curry and beer. Ruislip is beautifully sunny on this rainy September night."

And when someone bit and asked who the heroes in question were, he answered:

"Hmm. Steve R, Richard Molesworth, Andrew Beech, Gareth Roberts, Sue Cowley + a foreign gentleman with a large film collection."

In what may be a sign of progress, the mood at GB is less "OMG THIS IS EVIDENCE" and more "OMG HOW DARE HE MOCK US FOR BELIEVING RIDICULOUS CLAIMS AND CALLING HIM A LIAR."

In other "news," a couple retailers have shifted their release dates for the DVD of "The Tenth Planet" from 18 November to 14 October. It might be a mistake, or it might be a matter of shifting schedules because "The Moonbase" was delayed. But if you're a believer, it's evidence that a secret release is coming in November. Of course, nothing else has been passed by the BBFC, but what does that matter?
Old September 18 2013, 03:13 AM   #504
Candlefright
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Ah, good old Power of the Daleks. One of the five stories that are least likely to be found, given the number of overseas sales, and the number of prints confirmed as destroyed.
How many were confirmed? As far as I remember only the NZ prints of Evil were known to have been destroyed? The rest were returned to the BBC.

(I haven't read Wiped in ages, nor do I own the 2nd edition).
Old September 18 2013, 03:59 AM   #505
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
At this point, Paul Vanezis appears to be actively trolling rumor believers on Twitter. He started off with this:

"A wonderful evening out with several heroes of Doctor Who. Yes, curry and beer. Ruislip is beautifully sunny on this rainy September night."
I love his reaction when someone asks him about Perivale, the site of a recent screening of "Enemy of the World" for BNFs according to rumor. (It helps to know the NATO phonetic alphabet.)

I understand his reaction. He's been badgered for months by total strangers and that's both wearing and annoying. He just wants to live his life, and he has people digging into his life and taunting him with things they think they know.

At the same time, he hasn't exactly covered himself in professionalism with his reactions. There are fans who really believe this, and he's egging them on with tweets that can read as suggesting a discovery but then played off as something entirely different when questioned, or he's mocking them like with the dinner tweets. Yes, he's in a position where he can belittle fans for what they believe, but just because can belittle someone doesn't mean that as a professional he should.

allyngibson.net
Old September 18 2013, 04:08 AM   #506
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Ah, good old Power of the Daleks. One of the five stories that are least likely to be found, given the number of overseas sales, and the number of prints confirmed as destroyed.
How many were confirmed? As far as I remember only the NZ prints of Evil were known to have been destroyed? The rest were returned to the BBC.

You're right to call me on that; I was being imprecise, which usually isn't a problem, but on this subject is an invitation to trouble.
I meant, confirmed destroyed, or returned to the BBC, but given when they would have been returned to the BBC it's a safe bet that Enterprises then destroyed them, some time prior to 1978.
Doesn't mean that a rogue print or two couldn't have got missed, or spirited away, but it makes me very, very sceptical about any talk of complete serial recoveries that includes Masterplan (ignoring the Feast of Steven problem), Power or Evil.
A single episode or two is obviously possible, so if one turned up from Tenth Planet then... it'd probably be one of the three we've already got!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:28 AM   #507
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Doesn't mean that a rogue print or two couldn't have got missed, or spirited away, but it makes me very, very sceptical about any talk of complete serial recoveries that includes Masterplan (ignoring the Feast of Steven problem), Power or Evil.
One interesting detail to emerge out of the discussion of the Omnirumour is that Vanezis has stated that he has reason to believe that "The Feast of Steven" was telerecorded despite the lack of any documentation of a telerecording.

He hasn't said why he thinks that, and I'm curious what evidence he has to conclude that it wasn't irretrievably lost from virtually the moment it was broadcast.

allyngibson.net
Old September 18 2013, 05:01 AM   #508
diankra
Commodore

Well, it wasn't lost til the tape was cleared for wiping in summer 67 (a good 18 months after broadcast), and possibly not actually for some time after that, but I follow you.
If he's said that, I'd GUESS that he may have found evidence that even if Enterprises didn't telerecord it, a TR might have been made so some BBC boss could view it to see if making a funny Doctor Who episode for Christmas had been a good idea. Not impossible, just not something we've heard any hint of until now (though if it had happened, you'd think the print would then have ended up at the film library).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 09:57 AM   #509
Candlefright
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post

You're right to call me on that; I was being imprecise, which usually isn't a problem, but on this subject is an invitation to trouble.
I meant, confirmed destroyed, or returned to the BBC, but given when they would have been returned to the BBC it's a safe bet that Enterprises then destroyed them, some time prior to 1978.
A single episode or two is obviously possible, so if one turned up from Tenth Planet then... it'd probably be one of the three we've already got!
I wasn't being a pain, merely wondering if you knew of confirmed events. Someone mentioned Enterprises' copy of The Daleks Master Plan prints (negs?) were junked in 1973 or 74 but I can't remember who or which thread (on the M.E forum). Could've been Richard Molesworth.
Old September 18 2013, 01:09 PM   #510
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

So Scot Ferre, the GB poster with "sources" who has been propping up the rumor almost singlehandedly for weeks now, is backing off his previous certainty that 90+ episodes have been found; now it may only be several. (Also, an announcement may be imminent rather than two years off. Funny how rapidly plans change.) And of course people who have been believing everything they read are disappointed that it will "only" be several episodes rather than dozens. "Only" the largest return in 20 years-- that's a preview of what will happen if an actual discovery is announced after these rumors have gotten people expecting the borderline impossible.