Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 17 2013, 08:27 PM   #316
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Kirby wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
And... what the heck happened? After all that, that's what they give us as a finale? Really? That's really weak. I don't even really know what happened, just know that stuff happened, and it's not exactly making me want to watch a second season if there is one. Talk about unrewarding and unsatisfying. This show doesn't deserve a second season.
I wonder if they had shot everything as a single season show and then the order for the 2nd season came in, and they had to re-edit the original ending into a cliff hanger. But yeah, very unsatisfying.

That's what I thought too. For awhile, they were advertising it as a miniseries, which it should have stayed as. I'm not sure how miniseries work, but I'm under the assumption that once it's been ordered, that they have to air it as miniseries are often made for specific networks in mind, so if that's the case, they would have been safer to keep it as a miniseries. I doubt anyone's going to be watching the second season after last night's finale.

I expected at least one answer last night, but nothing was really explained at all, other than the pretty purple stars. They gave us an answer in the form of special effects, as if that would really answer anything concrete, instead of answering some of the bigger questions like why Big Jim has such a personal stake in all this and why he's trying to keep everyone from finding out the secrets.

But I now know that answers were just too big a burden for this show. When you look at it as a whole, it was rather nonsensical all the way through, with no driving narrative to keep things together, so if they'd wanted to answer things, they would have had to actually think logically and have the characters behave rationally. Everything seemed to have been thrown around without a care for any plot or connection to anything else in the series.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:36 PM   #317
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I really think they muddled through, coming up with a Maxine storyline to pad out a season so they could fill the "answers" episodes slots that would have been in the mini-series.

I'm really hoping that with some time to plan a season, it'll be a little bit more coherent then the mismash we got.
Old September 18 2013, 01:05 AM   #318
Dream
Admiral

Under the Dome season finale gets 12.10 million viewers

That's the second best ratings of the season after the series premiere. It seems that the audience is sticking with it for now.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...d-down/203244/
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 05:04 AM   #319
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I think that's most likely because people were curious to see how badly it would turn out. Season 2 would have to completely rethink things if it wants to get my attention. As it is, with the weak finale we got? No.
Old September 18 2013, 09:43 AM   #320
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

i agree with owain. it had more to do with people just peeping in to see what they did for the finale.. how it was different from book ect then with any real interest in the series. very few of the people I know what started out watching where still watching. but some were going to watch the finale to see how they handled the train wreck.
Old September 18 2013, 07:18 PM   #321
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Exactly. Based on comments here and elsewhere online about the finale, I doubt very much that it will be able to retain half the numbers it even got at its best. This is a good example of ratings not telling the whole story. If you were to simply look at the ratings, then sure, you'd probably be able to say it's been a phenomenal success, which contradicts with everything else everyone's had to say about it.
Old September 18 2013, 08:29 PM   #322
KaraBear
Captain

I think people are watching this because it's the summer, there's nothing else on. If it started in the fall with the rest of the premiers it wouldn't stand a chance
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:24 PM   #323
Tom
Rear Admiral

If the egg needs to be protected then why does it not create a new sphere? Those are obvious impenetrable. Also the stuff is getting tired and stale with the characters, they need to find a way to bring in new characters in and take old ones out.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 11:26 PM   #324
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Egg doesn't have to be protected, the monkeys inside the Dome have to prove that they are capable of protecting the egg.

Like how high school kids pretend that a sack of flour is a baby.

Everything is about establishing that these apes have character and decency in preparation for what is to come...

How decent is it to force children to kill Big Jim?

Double standard much, or is this a test to see if the kids will stand up to power?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 03:15 AM   #325
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
For me the worst bits from this week were the military radio transmissions (ok I guess this didn't start just this week, but, seriously, that shit's not encrypted?) and the whole Junior/Angie/Linda sequence.

Let me get this straight... Forrest goes all "She tastes like cigarettes sorry for ruining your New Year's party Lt. Dan", which alerts him to the fact that Barbie is around... or that something is up.. because...?

Then he chases her, radios Linda when he sees Barbie... and then despite the fact that Angie is gone with Julia before Linda makes it there, and Junior is crumpled in a heap not saying anything, she reports to Big Jim that Angie got away with Julia, which she totally didn't see. I mean the camera even goes out of the way to show that the ambulance is totally out of sight right before the police car comes into view. I mean maybe he radioed offscreen that someone had taken Julia... seems like a stretch... I mean he goes to chase Angie and what...? Radios Linda that Angie pulled the wool over his eyes and that Julia is missing? That still doesn't mesh with her line to Big Jim since Angie didn't have Julia when Junior radioed her to begin with.

Also, didn't Linda steal Phil's car because someone siphoned her gas or something? And then ditched Phil and told him to fuck off because he's not a cop. Because all of a sudden he's her new police sidekick and they're rocking a police cruiser.
Man I need a beer after reading about the latest developments! How do the writers and producers think this shit is watchable?
Maybe they know something you don't
V
V
Dream wrote: View Post
Under the Dome season finale gets 12.10 million viewers

That's the second best ratings of the season after the series premiere. It seems that the audience is sticking with it for now.
Old September 21 2013, 04:34 AM   #326
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

If they did, the ratings would be consistent.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 04:48 AM   #327
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
If they did, the ratings would be consistent.
And what are the ratings variation for this show?
Old September 21 2013, 07:02 PM   #328
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I honestly can't be arsed to look it up. My care level is pretty close to 0.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 07:22 PM   #329
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I honestly can't be arsed to look it up. My care level is pretty close to 0.
Then why bring it up?
Old September 21 2013, 08:17 PM   #330
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Weekly ratings for Under the Dome.

1(Pilot): 13.53 million viewers/ #1 among 18-49 demographic.
2........: 11.81m/#1
3........: 10.71m/#2
4........: 11.13m/#3
5........: 11.60m/#2
6........: 11.41m/#3
7........: 10.42m/#2
8........: 10.36m/#2
9........: 11.64m/#3
10......: 11.11m/#2
11......: 11.15m/#10
12......: 9.22m/#8
13......: 12.10m/Unknown

I'm guessing the last 2-3 weeks were impacted by Monday Night Football. But it seems the show stayed mostly consistent through its run.