RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 799
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 17 2013, 07:13 PM   #211
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: What Happens After Death

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I looked into other religions, read a few other religious books, traced back the histories of religion (the Egyptian deity Horus debunked Jesus for me), and couldn't find anything that worked along with science.
I'm not an expert but I think Buddhism might.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:12 PM   #212
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
At a quick glance I may have been practicing Buddhism without knowing it. Is their a Buddhist religious doctrine (equivalent to the bible)?
Old September 17 2013, 08:59 PM   #213
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
"You mean we're made out of stars?!"

"Not just you, but everything around you! We're all made of stars!"

"That's so cool!"
Might be a way to get them to eat vegetables. Concentrated starlight.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:23 PM   #214
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Meteors and asteroids are believed to carry building blocks of life, but that's just a theory.
It is established fact that some such objects carry organic molecules like amino acids. The “just a theory” part is whether this contributed to the development of life on Earth.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 11:54 PM   #215
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I believe that when a person dies, they either go to Heaven or Hell. I don't mean to ruin all this scientific talk, but the OP did ask what we believe happens after death.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:05 AM   #216
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I believe that when a person dies, they either go to Heaven or Hell. I don't mean to ruin all this scientific talk, but the OP did ask what we believe happens after death.
I'm afraid you're now under the watchful eye of the atheists. We've put a bounty on your head. Resistance is futile.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:16 AM   #217
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This is like the only argument where you have to kill the other to prove your point.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:46 AM   #218
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I looked into other religions, read a few other religious books, traced back the histories of religion (the Egyptian deity Horus debunked Jesus for me), and couldn't find anything that worked along with science.
I actually don't believe that religion and science are necessarily opposed at all. I know many people who are both religious and rational. One can be a Christian and still understand that the bible is a combination of ancient social codes, metaphor, myth, poetry, and history, and not literal truth. One can "debunk" Jesus as you said (not just with Horus, there is also a Greek god who bears an uncanny resemblance to the Christian savior, though his name has slipped my mind), but still believe in what he stands for, still believe that the actual people on whom these myths are based were endowed with some holiness or sanctity. Fundamentalism and science are indeed mutually exclusive, but not religion on its own.

There are aspects of some people's religions that are falsifiable, of course: We can test whether incendiary prayer works (and we have, and it doesn't). We can test if a spirit leaves the body in the form of energy upon death (and we have, and it doesn't). But we cannot test the claim that there was a creator, who created the universe to evolve as if there were no creator. We can't disprove an unfalsifiable god; so long as one can phrase one's beliefs as unfalsifiable claims, unfalsifiable claims remain just that: not within the realm of science to answer.

Again, I don't think that just because something cannot be disproved is a good enough reason to believe in it -- going back to Carl Sagan's invisible, silent, heatless dragon in the garage -- but I do think that the claimed mutual exclusivity between religion and science is untenable, and I think that building such a wall only serves to further the misguided notion that science is a belief system or just another worldview, rather than simply a tool to solve problems.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:54 AM   #219
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm afraid you're now under the watchful eye of the atheists. We've put a bounty on your head. Resistance is futile.
Then allow me to also quote 7 of 9: "You will fail."

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:01 AM   #220
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Then allow me to also quote 7 of 9: "You will fail."
Allow me to quote Hikaru Sulu from STiD: "If you test me, you will fail."

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:40 AM   #221
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I actually don't believe that religion and science are necessarily opposed at all. I know many people who are both religious and rational. One can be a Christian and still understand that the bible is a combination of ancient social codes, metaphor, myth, poetry, and history, and not literal truth. One can "debunk" Jesus as you said (not just with Horus, there is also a Greek god who bears an uncanny resemblance to the Christian savior, though his name has slipped my mind), but still believe in what he stands for, still believe that the actual people on whom these myths are based were endowed with some holiness or sanctity. Fundamentalism and science are indeed mutually exclusive, but not religion on its own.

There are aspects of some people's religions that are falsifiable, of course: We can test whether incendiary prayer works (and we have, and it doesn't). We can test if a spirit leaves the body in the form of energy upon death (and we have, and it doesn't). But we cannot test the claim that there was a creator, who created the universe to evolve as if there were no creator. We can't disprove an unfalsifiable god; so long as one can phrase one's beliefs as unfalsifiable claims, unfalsifiable claims remain just that: not within the realm of science to answer.

Again, I don't think that just because something cannot be disproved is a good enough reason to believe in it -- going back to Carl Sagan's invisible, silent, heatless dragon in the garage -- but I do think that the claimed mutual exclusivity between religion and science is untenable, and I think that building such a wall only serves to further the misguided notion that science is a belief system or just another worldview, rather than simply a tool to solve problems.
And the next thing you know, she's going to say there's no such thing as magic. Muggles!

Old September 18 2013, 05:03 AM   #222
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

^I believe in magic, though it's not the magic most people assume.

... We can test if a spirit leaves the body in the form of energy upon death (and we have, and it doesn't).

I'm with everything else you said but I think I never got behind that study because I never looked at it as the soul leaving the body. I looked at it more like the body being no longer able to produce a soul.
Old September 18 2013, 05:20 AM   #223
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

... We can test if a spirit leaves the body in the form of energy upon death (and we have, and it doesn't).

I'm with everything else you said but I think I never got behind that study because I never looked at it as the soul leaving the body. I looked at it more like the body being no longer able to produce a soul.
But do you think the soul survives? How can something survive when the thing that produces it can no longer produce it?

View my art!
Old September 18 2013, 05:26 AM   #224
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

But do you think the soul survives? How can something survive when the thing that produces it can no longer produce it?
I'm not a believer in souls, but there are two fairly obvious proposals. I throw them out merely for the sake of argument, discussion, and whatnot.

One is that perhaps the soul no longer needs the body, such as by being mature enough to maintain integrity on its own without physical assistance.

The other is that perhaps the soul isn't generated by the body in the first place, but rather merely associated with it for a time.
Old September 18 2013, 05:27 AM   #225
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I guess they just sound silly to me. Occam's razor and whatnot.

View my art!