TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #181
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I can only speculate that people bring different expectations to films and possibly have different perceptions of the materiel, particularly of the original subject matter.
I watch Star Trek to have fun, first and foremost.
Old September 16 2013, 10:20 PM   #182
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post

It also explains why so many of the older fans, that grew up with TOS, were so put off by the movies in general and Mr. Abrams movies in particular.
I've been a fan since 1975 and love the Abramsverse films.
Agree. I have been a fan since 1973, when as a young boy I first encountered reruns of TOS and the Saturday morning TAS. I too enjoy the Abramsverse films in which the Kirk era lives.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:04 PM   #183
Warped9
Admiral

I can only speculate that people bring different expectations to films and possibly have different perceptions of the materiel, particularly of the original subject matter.
I watch Star Trek to have fun, first and foremost.
Sure, but how each person defines fun will vary.
Old September 17 2013, 12:21 AM   #184
Christopher
Writer

That goes without saying.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:25 PM   #185
Warped9
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
That goes without saying.
You'd think so, but often enough it doesn't come across that way. Often enough when someone says they watch something "just for fun" the implication is you shouldn't think too much about watch you're watching.

So I can say I enjoy TOS because of the fact that it's not only visually interesting but it also exhibits a good measure of intelligence in how it's put together. From that my sense of "fun" is going to have certain expectations. If I have to suspend any measure of critical thinking too far then I'm not having fun anymore.

On the face of it a show like Futurama looks like utter nonsense and yet it's often pretty damned clever in how it's put together.
Old September 17 2013, 06:44 PM   #186
BillJ
Admiral

So I can say I enjoy TOS because of the fact that it's not only visually interesting but it also exhibits a good measure of intelligence in how it's put together.
I feel the same way about Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old September 17 2013, 07:28 PM   #187
Warped9
Admiral

So I can say I enjoy TOS because of the fact that it's not only visually interesting but it also exhibits a good measure of intelligence in how it's put together.
Well, this is where we part company.
Old September 17 2013, 08:22 PM   #188
BillJ
Admiral

I think many people hold the Abrams movies to a much higher standard than they hold TOS or any of the Modern Trek series.
Old September 17 2013, 08:27 PM   #189
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe something similar to this has been said, but why does it always have to be one vs the other in similar genres?

Why is LiS the enemy of ST? Why can't I like Star Trek and Star Wars at the same time. Sure I'll like some sci-fi shows more than others, some not at all, but it's like some have to validate their love for one by actively hating the other.
Old September 17 2013, 08:48 PM   #190
Christopher
Writer

R. Star wrote: View Post
Why is LiS the enemy of ST? Why can't I like Star Trek and Star Wars at the same time. Sure I'll like some sci-fi shows more than others, some not at all, but it's like some have to validate their love for one by actively hating the other.
I agree. It's all about the IDIC. We can like things that are different from each other, and we can respect other people's right to like things we don't like, rather than feeling we have to argue them into submission.

The word "fan" used to mean someone who likes stuff. These days, it seems to mean someone who goes out of one's way to hate and reject things.

Old September 17 2013, 09:23 PM   #191
Warped9
Admiral

I think many people hold the Abrams movies to a much higher standard than they hold TOS or any of the Modern Trek series.
...actually I've chosen to delete my reply, which wasn't offensive in the least, but I simply have no repsect whatsoever for JJ and his work so it's best for me not remark further.
Old September 17 2013, 09:35 PM   #192
BillJ
Admiral

...actually I've chosen to delete my reply, which wasn't offensive in the least, but I simply have no repsect whatsoever for JJ and his work so it's best for me not remark further.
I'm not trying to troll or flame you, Warped9. Just something I've noticed from many people, not just you.

It was more of a general comment about the state of the franchise. I do think some people hold Abrams and Company to a higher standard than whatever their favorite version of the franchise is.

I responded to this blog...

http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com...94873057206825

About the supposed "trick transporters" used by Abrams and Company that somehow make starships obsolete. Yet no one I've seen has ever uttered a peep about how transporters in the Prime universe should really make death itself obsolete.
Old September 17 2013, 09:48 PM   #193
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I think also there are some people who will simply not accept a Star Trek reboot no matter how good it is.

That said, I didn't like the Abrams films.. But I'm all for future Trek reboots.
Old September 17 2013, 09:57 PM   #194
Christopher
Writer

It has always been thus. A decade ago, posters on this board and elsewhere were constantly condemning Enterprise or declaring it an alternate reality for continuity glitches no worse than those that had existed in the previous shows and films. Like I said before, we're always harder on what's more recent because we've had time to get used to the flaws in the older stuff, to gloss over and rationalize and forgive them. The illusion of nostalgia, the way the brain smooths out the past, leading to the false perception that the present is worse.

Old September 17 2013, 11:00 PM   #195
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well I suspect a lot of people would been more accepting of ENT's continuity problems if the writing had just been a lot stronger, and not so painfully cheesy and derivative (and seemingly aimed only at teenage boys). I think that's what makes the biggest difference for most fans.

It's usually only after a show fails to engage you with the storytelling that you find yourself focusing on nitpicky details and continuity errors like that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote