Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 16 2013, 12:32 PM   #2476
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Just got done with Tomb Raider. Really enjoyed it, but I can see why some of the old school fans hated it. It's a significant departure in both tone and gameplay and if I'm honest, there was probably a little too much focus on combat.

Not sure what to concentrate on next. Anyone have a particular recommendation out of these: 'Mirror's Edge', 'Deadspace', 'Brutal Legend', 'Witcher 1&2', 'Crysis 2' & 'Alan Wake'?

I did have a go at some of the classic Tomb Raiders (never played them back in the day) but for the life of me I can't get used to the PC controls and trying to re-map to my Windows Xbox controller doesn't seem to work either. :/
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:40 PM   #2477
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Out of those games the only one I've put significant time into is Alan Wake. I really enjoyed that game but if I'm coming off of Tomb Raider I would try something else. It's got a lot of the same third-person shooter gameplay, I think some of the other games are probably a better change of pace.
Old September 17 2013, 01:41 AM   #2478
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah I had a similar thought. From what I've seen the gameplay looks like it's mostly running around at night inside a Stephen King novel, shining torches at things and shooting them in the head. Deadspace might also be a little too similar.

I'm not a huge military shooter fan beyond the Half-Life games so I'm in no hurry to try out Crysis 2...plus I worry it might make my PC catch fire.

Not sure if I'm of the mindset to get into a deep RPG series like Witcher right now, so I'll probably try 'Brutal Legend' next (thank you Humble Bundle!) It's a 'Double Fine' game and looks pretty light hearted and colourful. Oh and it has Lemmy in it!
Old September 17 2013, 06:20 PM   #2479
lurok
Commodore

Blacklist.

Fun playing in just Ghost/Stealth mode, completing missions without alerting/harming anyone. Those dogs are a pain in the butt though.

It was funny though seeing GTAV on the front of Guardian, and discussed on radio.
Old September 17 2013, 06:52 PM   #2480
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Reverend wrote: View Post
Not sure what to concentrate on next. Anyone have a particular recommendation out of these: 'Mirror's Edge', 'Deadspace', 'Brutal Legend', 'Witcher 1&2', 'Crysis 2' & 'Alan Wake'?
Mirror's Edge is fun. Haven't played the others.

There's a great area in Mirror's Edge that a swear was based on the final level of Price of Persia 1......
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:39 PM   #2481
Davros
Fleet Admiral

After clearing out a big part of my hard drive for it, I've been playing GTAV.
Old September 19 2013, 09:17 PM   #2482
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Mirror's Edge is fun. Haven't played the others.

There's a great area in Mirror's Edge that a swear was based on the final level of Price of Persia 1......
I might actually try that now. Brutal Legend's gameplay just isn't doing it for me. :/
Old September 20 2013, 10:49 PM   #2483
BlueMetroid
Lieutenant

View BlueMetroid's Twitter Profile

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
New Super Luigi U (Wii U)
BlueMetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 06:18 PM   #2484
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I might actually try that now. Brutal Legend's gameplay just isn't doing it for me. :/
I gave up on it when I hit the RTS section which is not my thing. What really left a bad taste was that they did not emphasize this at all in the previews and the like. I was looking for a heavy metal hack-and-slash and I thought that what I had been sold. I might try it again sometime but it's hard enough to find time for the games I haven't played to backtrack to something I had a bad experience with.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 11:35 PM   #2485
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I gave up on it when I hit the RTS section which is not my thing. What really left a bad taste was that they did not emphasize this at all in the previews and the like. I was looking for a heavy metal hack-and-slash and I thought that what I had been sold. I might try it again sometime but it's hard enough to find time for the games I haven't played to backtrack to something I had a bad experience with.
I don't have a problem with RTS as I used play them quite often. Dawn of War, Homeworld, C&C, even Dune 2 back in the day. My problem here is that it's trying to be the Swiss army knife of gameplay; A third-person open-world hack'n'slash roleplaying RTS racing game. As the old figure of speech goes "jack of all trades, master of none."

I mean it's one hell of a warning sign when Ozzey of all people is the one giving exposition. This is not a man one usually equates with coherent explanations.

Sadly, I'm also not really digging 'Mirror's Edge' either. Maybe I just don't have the knack but it seems to take a lot of trail and error to get around without becoming street pizza and I'm just not having a lot of fun in the process.
Old September 22 2013, 12:34 PM   #2486
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Currently i'm playing Remember Me.

Very cool combat/combo system, a cool futuristic world and some good concepts but overall the game is far too linear to get really interesting.. you just basically move/jump/climb around the only route possible and from time to time beat up goons until you get to the scene end boss.

Guess i've been spoiled by open world games which just offer far more freedom and flexibility.
Old September 22 2013, 01:47 PM   #2487
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Going back to GTA: San Andreas for now.

Which reminds me of this:

-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 10:39 AM   #2488
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I am halfway through my Assassin's Creed 3 replay. Having now played them all back to back (except for 1) I can say that I prefer 3's combat, control and upgrade system. I hope not much has been changed for number 4.
Old October 2 2013, 07:59 PM   #2489
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Sadly, I'm also not really digging 'Mirror's Edge' either. Maybe I just don't have the knack but it seems to take a lot of trail and error to get around without becoming street pizza and I'm just not having a lot of fun in the process.
It's been a while since I played it. I do recall it had a bit of a learning curve.

The one bit of advice I would give is, don't try to fight very much. If you're taking on more than one guy, running works better most of the time.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 08:02 PM   #2490
RoJoHen
Awesome

Haven't played anything since I finished "The Last of Us." I'm debating a replay of the Arkham games before "Arkham Origins" comes out.