Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 17 2013, 01:44 PM   #106
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

teacake wrote: View Post
the Worf discomfort
I see what you did there.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 01:57 PM   #107
Chensams
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't say she was the worst character but I think she was unnecessary. They could have had closure with the character with a couple of episode guest appearance versus all season long. DS9 had a lot of things to warp up in the last season and the Ezri plot line sort of got in the way.
Old September 17 2013, 04:29 PM   #108
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

I quite like her. I mean, granted, she's not Jadzia. She's nothing compared to Jadzia and it was the saddest thing ever when she died, but Ezri is still pretty cool I reckon.
Old September 17 2013, 04:53 PM   #109
KaraBear
Captain

Jadzia was soooo overrated
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 04:59 PM   #110
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

KaraBear wrote: View Post
Ermegherd treason
Old September 17 2013, 05:05 PM   #111
KaraBear
Captain

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
Ermegherd treason
I know everybody loves her but she irritated me. She was so good at everything, they guys all lusted after her, blech
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:38 PM   #112
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

If we are talking strictly 'lust factor', I still preferred Ezri. Your initial response was correct, Jadzia was overrated.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:38 PM   #113
R. Star
Rear Admiral

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
Ermegherd treason
I know everybody loves her but she irritated me. She was so good at everything, they guys all lusted after her, blech
I always thought Jadzia was overrated too. Terry Farrel is definitely cute, but the character's personality was just so... random. There were like three different versions of her and none of them merged together well. The aloof smart person who can figure out anything, the party girl who gets drunk and plays tongo with Quark, and the avenging valkyrie who fights with and hangs out with Klingons.

And chalking that off to the symbiont is just a cop out. Jadzia herself said in Playing God when she was training that Trill Initiate that while the symbiont influences them, the host is supposed to be disciplined enough to define themselves over it.
Old September 17 2013, 09:13 PM   #114
dub
Fleet Captain

Well okay, I'll defend Jadzia, who is apparently not overrated at this point in the thread! Ouch! I did like Jadzia (though Kira is hotter)! :P To me, Worf was the key to bringing out the fun/spontaneous side of her personality/personalities. She was perhaps just a pretty face with brains in the beginning, but Worf really showed us how fun she could be. Plus she warmed up to the crew by then. The writing improved for her and I her acting improved and loosened up as well. She was fun when she wanted to be, feisty when she needed to be, impulsive when she was passionate about something (sometimes to a fault), but a good ear and counsel when friends needed her, and smart when it comes to solutions to big problems (but this "good at everything/know-it-all" trait is common with most Trek crew characters, so it's not unique). She did at times seem to have multiple personalities (though not as much as Ezri, and understandably so), and while Trill are "supposed to" be disciplined enough to define themselves over it, Jadzia was not always able to practice the discipline, and then sometimes she just chose not to. Yes, I liked Jadzia a lot, especially in the second half of her time on DS9. I was disappointed when she left the show and was replaced, so I really hated Ezri during the first watch. But on the re-watch she grew on me. And I'm glad they at least introduced a new female character in her place, even though it did slow down the progression of the story a bit.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:39 PM   #115
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
I always thought Jadzia was overrated too. Terry Farrel is definitely cute, but the character's personality was just so... random. There were like three different versions of her and none of them merged together well. The aloof smart person who can figure out anything, the party girl who gets drunk and plays tongo with Quark, and the avenging valkyrie who fights with and hangs out with Klingons.

And chalking that off to the symbiont is just a cop out. Jadzia herself said in Playing God when she was training that Trill Initiate that while the symbiont influences them, the host is supposed to be disciplined enough to define themselves over it.
I blame Farrell for the most part. She is gorgeous, no doubt, but her acting chops are thin. She's pretty much admitted that she needed the help of the other actors (Brooks, Shimmerman, and Dorn in particular) to pull it off as well as she did.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 11:11 PM   #116
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I think when they decided to spice Jadzia up, they were said to have decided to "make her Errol Flynn."

It makes sense that there would be a certain degree of... inconsistency in a person who had lived previous lives as other people, but as others have indicated a greater degree of overall structure to the character would have been great. The whole "she's an old man in a young girl's body" gimmick played out pretty quick, IMO, and they didn't quite know what to do with her.

I don't think Farrell is a bad actress, actually. The best ever? Nah. But not bad.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:58 AM   #117
Tosk
Rear Admiral

the character's personality was just so... random. There were like three different versions of her and none of them merged together well. The aloof smart person who can figure out anything, the party girl who gets drunk and plays tongo with Quark, and the avenging valkyrie who fights with and hangs out with Klingons.
People in real life have multiple ways of acting in different situations, why can't a fictional person do the same? Jadzia Dax was a smarty-pants party girl who enjoyed hanging out with Klingons. Seems about right.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:47 AM   #118
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sure.. there's a word for that too.. bipolar. Which Bashir quoted in Future Tense as being curable.
Old September 19 2013, 06:53 AM   #119
Dream
Admiral

Sure.. there's a word for that too.. bipolar. Which Bashir quoted in Future Tense as being curable.
That obviously isn't true for Janeway.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:54 AM   #120
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Good point.