Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 8 2013, 05:10 PM   #76
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^So...why is this forum still here?
I'm guessing because with Stargate and BSG over there's not that much sci-fi on TV that appeals to Trekkies anymore, so nothing's come and taken the place of these forums.
It doesn't have to be TV. Any topic that generates a lot of chatter in SF&F these days could be a worthy replacement sub-forum. Super-heroes and Star Wars are the most likely candidates.
Old September 17 2013, 04:10 PM   #77
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
^So...why is this forum still here?
I'm guessing because with Stargate and BSG over there's not that much sci-fi on TV that appeals to Trekkies anymore, so nothing's come and taken the place of these forums.
It doesn't have to be TV. Any topic that generates a lot of chatter in SF&F these days could be a worthy replacement sub-forum. Super-heroes and Star Wars are the most likely candidates.
Go start a QSF thread if you want to talk about why this forum exists or which other forums should exist in its place.
Old September 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #78
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^I did. No answer there, either.

And I didn't start the fire....

Dream wrote: View Post
Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
It's over.

Still confused at why the BSG forum is still open.
Maybe it will be closed when the Trek forums are closed. After all, they are all series which are no longer produced even though people still discuss them.
This is a Trek website, of course all the forums for the Trek shows will continue to be open.
The Stig wrote: View Post
I think this forum should probably be closed. The show it's based on has long since been off the air and there are no productions of any note on the horizon.

A lone BSG movie (should it happen) from Bryan Singer hardly warrants a full forum, any more than the long-forgotten original BSG.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
The existence of a Lost forum confuses me more. Nobody has even posted since 2010.
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
No can post in the Lost forum. It's been that way for more than 2 years.
And by the time we got to this, I wasn't under the impression that it was a forbidden topic:
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
.:: TSN ::. wrote: View Post
SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
Forgive a foolish question. But is forum space a big problem here? Space to post is unlimited but the number of subfolders is limited?
Shouldnt be. It doesnt really matter to forum database/diskspace if post is located in one folder or another.
But each forum needs one or more moderators, so having a large number of forums means more moderators which means more administrative overhead. The database side of it is only part of the equation.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; September 18 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old September 22 2013, 01:55 AM   #79
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Speaking as a TOS purist, I think that just as nuBSG was a 9/11 series, TOS was very much a Cold War show. Even more than it was Mormons in Space, it was a late-seventies hawkish nightmare scenario of a universal Communist takeover.

TOS was utterly "of its time" and even if Richard Hatch does get to make his follow-up it will be a nostalgia project. As such, it could sustain a single movie but not a series.

Much as I hate to admit it.
Old September 27 2013, 03:54 PM   #80
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Of course both versions were of their time. You could not make a TOS-style BSG today, and you sure couldn't have made a nuBSG-ish version back in the 70's. It doesn't make one show more 'real' than the other, it's just a product of the times, nothing more. They say every decade gets the movies it deserves - the same thing applies to TV.

That being said, I totally love the idea of The Second Coming and it still pisses me off that Hatch didn't get to expand it. The fact that he just made that one little bit of it, though, is amazing. He paid for the whole thing out of his own pocket, didn't he?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old September 27 2013, 04:38 PM   #81
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Yep. Almost financially ruined him, from what I remember hearing. IIRC, things were still in flux back then over who owned the property - Glen Larson still owned the movie rights and I don't think Universal really took any of it too seriously. The Singer/DeSanto effort back in 2000 looked like it might have finally followed in those footsteps, but a Perfect Storm of the events of 9/11, a split between Universal and MGM (also in 2001), Vivendi entering the mix and several other factors muddied the waters and halted that production for good, and killed any hopes of a continuation series. It wasn't until things settled down a couple of years later that BSG was resurrected, but in a totally different direction as a reboot. The rest is history...
Old October 4 2013, 01:52 PM   #82
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

That trailer is achingly beautiful. It does break my heart that he didn't get to make the thing and now Baltar and Dr. Salik are gone.