Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 17 2013, 12:29 AM   #61
austen_pierce
Captain

Re: No Radiation Suits In The 23rd Century?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
It need keep him alive on Ceti Alpha 5 when it turned to shit. His wife who did not have magic blood died, yet he's wandering around and is ripped as hell. Now we know why, he has magic blood. That's canon.
Okay if the prime universe Khan had super blood, then when his wife invaded by the ceti eel, why didn't he provide her with a injection/transfusion of his blood?

And why did nineteen of the other superfriends die from the eel?

The blood Khan has may be unique. The others may not have had its regenerative properties. Khan was a leader, after all. That's one possible explanation.

Another is that even with superblood, no one is immortal or invulnerable. Any number of things could have happened on a planet with such a volatile environment as Ceti Alpha V.

As for Ms. McGivers, for all we know, Khan had no idea his blood had that kind of regenerative capability.

Then again, perhaps Khan let her die because she wasn't strong enough to survive. He did see weakness as a failing.

Really, there are any number of explanations for these events.
No. If TWOK Khan had super blood he would have fared better when Kirk blasted Reliant's bridge. Or recovered noticeably during the Genesis countdown sequence. Just no.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:34 AM   #62
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
No. If TWOK Khan had super blood he would have fared better when Kirk blasted Reliant's bridge. Or recovered noticeably during the Genesis countdown sequence. Just no.
Everyone else on that bridge was dead except for Khan, so yes. Just yes.

The blood obviously does not make one immortal, but it does seem to make one more resilient to illness and damage. TWOK and STiD supports this.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:34 AM   #63
austen_pierce
Captain

The blood obviously does not make one immortal, but it does seem to make one more resilient to illness and damage. TWOK and STiD supports this.
I'm still not convinced about Khan in TWOK. In Space Seed, TOS McCoy would have had to have missed this during the course of his tests on Khan while in sickbay.
Old September 17 2013, 05:34 AM   #64
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I'm still not convinced about Khan in TWOK. In Space Seed, TOS McCoy would have had to have missed this during the course of his tests on Khan while in sickbay.
I love him to pieces, but I'm sure McCoy missed a number of things that weren't convenient to the plot of a particular episode. Same for Kirk, Spock, et al. Remember "Tomorrow is Yesterday," where Spock conveniently forgot to check whether Captain Christopher would have sired children? Huge glaring oversight, and something any logical person would check, but nope, and why? It would have resolved the storyline without any drama.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:35 AM   #65
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Having blood with regenerative properties doesn't make him Wolverine, capable of visibly healing grievous wounds in seconds. Half his face and body was burned extra crispy. That's gonna take a while. Kirk wasn't even visibly damaged from the radiation and he took a few weeks in a coma to recover.
Old September 17 2013, 06:00 AM   #66
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Maybe he didn't perform the same battery of tests that NuMcCoy did. Khan is aboard the Enterprise under different circumstances in each case. Khan in STID is terrorist/prisoner has exhibited some pretty amazing powers, while in "Space Seed" they had barely scratched the surface of what Khan could do and he is simply a guest.
Old September 17 2013, 05:51 PM   #67
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Having blood with regenerative properties doesn't make him Wolverine, capable of visibly healing grievous wounds in seconds. Half his face and body was burned extra crispy. That's gonna take a while. Kirk wasn't even visibly damaged from the radiation and he took a few weeks in a coma to recover.
I love that people somehow are able to keep a straight face bitching about magic blood and yet are mentioning the magic terraforming torpedo in the very same paragraph.
Old September 17 2013, 07:29 PM   #68
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Well, I'll give them that, because the Genesis device is an actual piece of technology which was specifically made to do what it does. It terraforms planets because it was made for that purpose. Believe the science or not, but that alone makes it somewhat plausible.

Khan's blood, on the other hand, was totally out of left field.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:41 PM   #69
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Well, I'll give them that, because the Genesis device is an actual piece of technology which was specifically made to do what it does. It terraforms planets because it was made for that purpose. Believe the science or not, but that alone makes it somewhat plausible.

They introduced the concept early in the movie. That's why Mickey blows up the Kelvin building, to get some for his sick daughter. So it isn't like Kirk dies and they suddenly introduce that Khan has magic blood. That detail is there from the beginning.
Old September 17 2013, 08:21 PM   #70
BillJ
Admiral

Genesis was made to restore Spock to that just perfect age so Leonard Nimoy could resume playing the character after dying?

Old September 17 2013, 08:29 PM   #71
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

A torpedo that has no warhead, that *vapourises* the entire surface of a planet in minutes, a more devastating weapon than anything the Federation had ever maufactuered before, somehow then magically, having been blown up itself, makes the surface "get better" just as fast, and produce complex cellular life.

Millions of years at least condensed into 5 minutes. From something that suicides itself instantly blasting away a planets surface?

That's more miraculous than genetically engineered blood that can give a boost to the body's already existing cell repair mechanism, that still takes time to recover and a fair amount of of pain anyway?

Fuck...ing...wow.
Old September 17 2013, 08:33 PM   #72
austen_pierce
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Genesis was made to restore Spock to that just perfect age so Leonard Nimoy could resume playing the character after dying?

Thank you for pointing this out. So:

Genesis=Magic Blood=Bring Major Character Back To Life

and I'm not bitching about the blood. I'm debating whether TWOK Khan had it. From a plot perspective he didn't need it... Genesis provided the needed resolution.
Old September 17 2013, 08:41 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral

and I'm not bitching about the blood. I'm debating whether TWOK Khan had it. From a plot perspective he didn't need it... Genesis provided the needed resolution.
Fair enough. This forum has me a little twitchy lately and sometimes I answer some posts in the wrong manor.

Apologies.
Old September 17 2013, 08:42 PM   #74
The Keeper
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Millions of years at least condensed into 5 minutes. From something that suicides itself instantly blasting away a planets surface?
Ahem. "Six" minutes.

As for the OP, someone up thread gave a suitable enough response, there was too little time.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:20 PM   #75
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

I'm stunned the Federation didn't continue research on the Genesis device. Done properly it is literally a miracle device.