Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

View Poll Results: I think the M/AM reaction of TOS Enterprise takes place in...
the nacelles 20 41.67%
a secondary-hull reactor 17 35.42%
somewhere else or in some combination 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 3 2013, 02:57 PM   #31
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Where's the M/AM reaction in TOS Enterprise?

Well! I voted for the third choice. Without wading through all the on-screen evidence, My firmly held opinion is that the main power generation took place in the nacelles; each nacelle having its own dedicated generator which was responsible for the fantastic energies needed to feed a power-hungry warp engine. There is a third much smaller M/AM reactor in the secondary hull which powers the rest of the ship and is somehow critical in the operation of the other two. Put another way, reactors 1 and 2 (up in the nacelles) each generate more power but are are slaved to reactor 3 (down in the engineering hull) to operate correctly.

In addition to these three main reactors, other batteries of fusion reactors would be found here and there throughout the ship. Most notably, associated with the ship's impulse engines.

That's my opinion at any rate, and it's how the system is reflected in my on-going Enterprise deckplans project.

--Alex
Old September 7 2013, 04:52 PM   #32
jayrath
Fleet Captain

If I may be allowed to haul in the original model, and how it appeared in '60s broadcast TV, something very odd was going on behind the nacelle domes. I never even saw the spinny things before cable TV (and its better reception), just an odd, multicolored, raging fire. When you look at photos of the insides of the model's nacelles, that was surely the intent; Christmas tree lights, yes, but endlessly refracted with shards of mirrors.

When I was a wee tot, watching it all in the very first reruns, often in black and white, I always assumed that the nacelle caps were windows onto the matter/antimatter anihilation. I still believe that.

Plus, that's a lot more fun than TNG's gurgling potbelly stove.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:03 AM   #33
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
There is a third much smaller M/AM reactor in the secondary hull which powers the rest of the ship and is somehow critical in the operation of the other two.
Hmmm ... maybe the ones in the nacelles are basically "switched off" when the ship isn't in warp flight and the one in the secondary hull is constantly active. When the reactors in the nacelles are needed the secondary hull reactor is required to jump start the nacelles reactors.

This might explain what happened in The Naked Time, where Riley completely shut down the system.

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:16 AM   #34
James

It's in a room below the main engineering room shown on the show. Later on in the show they moved part of the warp core into engineering's floor. It could be seen in Elaan of Troyius when one of the klingon spies sabotaged the dilithium crystal assembly. The reaction chamber with crystals could also be seen in TAS.
Old September 15 2013, 06:33 AM   #35
blssdwlf
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
There is a third much smaller M/AM reactor in the secondary hull which powers the rest of the ship and is somehow critical in the operation of the other two.
Hmmm ... maybe the ones in the nacelles are basically "switched off" when the ship isn't in warp flight and the one in the secondary hull is constantly active. When the reactors in the nacelles are needed the secondary hull reactor is required to jump start the nacelles reactors.

This might explain what happened in The Naked Time, where Riley completely shut down the system.

That's how I think of it too.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:39 AM   #36
Admiral Archer
Ensign

My personal opinion on the location of the M/AM reactors is somewhat complicated. I have two theories:

A) The reactors are in the nacelles, and the engine room we all saw in the series was actually a Warp Nacelle Monitor room, accessed by a turbolift (similar to the control room seen in the TNG Season 7 episode "Eye of the Beholder"). This is supported by the fact that the engine room on the original Enterprise shows a long glowing shaft leading towards the aft section of the ship, which would have been impossible to fit in either the saucer or the secondary hull (in the case of the latter, there needs to be sufficient room for the shuttle bay). Below are two images that show the engine room of the original ship compared to the nacelle control room aboard the Enterprise-D.

B) The reactors are either in the saucer or the secondary hull after all, and the long shaft in the engine room was actually smaller than originally thought. This room could even have been an impulse control room, with the reddish glowing shaft being the impulse engines, and the main engine room in the secondary hull (where the M/AM reactors are) never having have been shown. This is supported by the original interior set model, which shows the engine room depicted on the series as being located off the main corridor in the saucer section.

Admiral Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:24 AM   #37
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
the engine room on the original Enterprise shows a long glowing shaft leading towards the aft section of the ship
Problem with that is, in Immunity Syndrome when the ship lurched forwards, Kirk was thrown back towards the main doors leading into Engineering.

The "glowing shaft" doesn't lead aft, it leads forwards.

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:54 AM   #38
Admiral Archer
Ensign

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
the engine room on the original Enterprise shows a long glowing shaft leading towards the aft section of the ship
Problem with that is, in Immunity Syndrome when the ship lurched forwards, Kirk was thrown back towards the main doors leading into Engineering.

The "glowing shaft" doesn't lead aft, it leads forwards.

Really? How weird. Well, I guess that nullifies my theories.
Old September 16 2013, 10:23 AM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Admiral Archer (welcome to the BBS!)

Here's a link to another BBS page to show the location of the Season One "Engineering Control Room" in compliance with the actual Season One Studio set.

And here is the link to another BBS page to show the location of the Season Two warp or main sensor-deflector engine room, compliant with T'Girl's (and others) observations and compliant with the actual (different) Season Two studio set and original TOS footage from "Day of the Dove" (engineering hull exit point of alien entity).

The "cathedral" behind the grated wall opening in the engine room did also glow and pulsate in "Elaan of Troyius" while the ship was underway at impulse power / sublight only, so it doesn't necessarily indicate warp drive functions.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:33 AM   #40
James

The glowing shaft is where the power transfer conduits are, in front of the main shuttlebay. It's never going to be proven otherwise.
Old September 17 2013, 03:14 AM   #41
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, I don't think it's ever going to be "proven" one way or the other, since there's no official answer.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 11:24 AM   #42
Robert Comsol
Commodore

James wrote: View Post
It's never going to be proven otherwise.
I really think you should read this article and take a quick look at the screencap from "Day of the Dove" at the bottom.

Bob
Old September 18 2013, 01:27 AM   #43
Admiral Archer
Ensign

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
@ Admiral Archer (welcome to the BBS!)

Here's a link to another BBS page to show the location of the Season One "Engineering Control Room" in compliance with the actual Season One Studio set.

And here is the link to another BBS page to show the location of the Season Two warp or main sensor-deflector engine room, compliant with T'Girl's (and others) observations and compliant with the actual (different) Season Two studio set and original TOS footage from "Day of the Dove" (engineering hull exit point of alien entity).

The "cathedral" behind the grated wall opening in the engine room did also glow and pulsate in "Elaan of Troyius" while the ship was underway at impulse power / sublight only, so it doesn't necessarily indicate warp drive functions.

Bob
Thanks man! I appreciate how thorough you were with your comment. I have to admit, I prefer Season 1's set design compared to Season 2. I just have a bit of trouble seeing the secondary hull deck layout of the TOS ship being circular, as opposed to the Galaxy-class, which if I recall correctly from my blueprints, had decks lining the exterior and interior, with a comparatively angular deck layout. But, to each his or her own.
Old September 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #44
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The reaction takes place between the ion pod and the bowling alley.
Old September 18 2013, 09:23 AM   #45
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Admiral Archer

You wouldn't be the first having that kind of trouble, but I just couldn't ignore the scenes from the beginning of "The Ultimate Computer" and others which exactly do suggest this.

Interestingly, I do have this highly detailed Galaxy Class cutaway where the artist apparently (but erroneously) concluded from the actual studio set plan that the TNG engine room should be close to a circular structure (i.e. computer core) - which curiously was the major inspiration to apply the basic thought to my TOS Enterprise deck plan proposals.

@ FalTorPan

I agree, because in my deck plans the ion pod will be at the bottom of the engineering hull and the bowling alley probably in the connecting dorsal.

Bob